Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Douglas to Lake St)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Douglas to Lake St)

Postby Tiller » June 20th, 2022, 4:33 am

If the Uptown Theater does, in fact, get redeveloped into a live performance venue with a capacity of 2500, it's going to take a LOT of buses to get all those people in and out.
It would only be like 21 busses if we were talking 60' articulated busses (capacity 120) for 2500 people, and that's if everyone rode them. I think the B Line is going to use 60' artics. I'm not sure about the E Line, but they could always shuffle 60' buses to it for big events. They're both nearby. With only 10 minute headways on the two lines, they could carry 1440 people away in an hour. Metro transit I'm sure could speed that up with some prep if needed.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 20th, 2022, 7:56 am

The E Line is also getting 60' artics, or at least was during the Community Advisory Committee stage of planning a couple years ago. I think the A Line can be excused since it was the pilot, but honestly if a route isn't going to be busy enough to need artics, it probably shouldn't be getting the aBRT enhancements.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 20th, 2022, 11:44 am

Folks, it was trolling. You've got nothing to prove here.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 20th, 2022, 7:17 pm

The E Line is also getting 60' artics, or at least was during the Community Advisory Committee stage of planning a couple years ago. I think the A Line can be excused since it was the pilot, but honestly if a route isn't going to be busy enough to need artics, it probably shouldn't be getting the aBRT enhancements.
E Line will still be getting 60' artics. The A Line uses 40' due to operational challenges with the Ford Bridge, or at least that is what I have always been told.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 21st, 2022, 12:38 pm

A bullshit response from a Rainville policy associate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 21st, 2022, 1:14 pm

Michael Rainville is singlehandedly making the back-to-back 2021 and 2023 council elections seem like a mercy.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 21st, 2022, 2:26 pm

ha, I have now been told by this policy associate that the bus lane would be a general travel lane during off peak hours, doesn't even know what they are talking about.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » June 21st, 2022, 5:27 pm

The point I've been trying to make is that the most compelling use case for 24 hour bus lanes would be supporting the planned conversion of the Uptown Theater. At 2500 capacity it would force bus ridership because driving there would be an absolute clusterf*ck.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 21st, 2022, 6:44 pm

For like 97 percent of the metro taking the bus there would be a giant pain in the ass too, tbh.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 22nd, 2022, 9:13 am

Exactly. And the fact that they've done essentially nothing to accommodate pick-up and drop-off in a major entertainment node shows just how rooted in the real world the planners are.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 23rd, 2022, 10:05 am

Could the two lanes of southbound Hennepin be pick-up/ drop-off during events? Seems like there should be a way to make those lanes on Hennepin from Lake to Lagoon a little more dynamic. A median in the middle could have helped with drop-offs too if done right.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 23rd, 2022, 5:28 pm

Think of how angry people will be when they can’t drop off their passengers directly in front of the Uptown Theater before they drive around for 3 hours until it’s time to pick them up because there’s no parking anywhere.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 28th, 2022, 10:57 am

Are all of the people advocating for bus lanes on Hennepin also advocating for putting the 5 back on Chicago and ensuring the D Line isn’t detoured when it opens later this year? Haven’t heard much advocacy on that much busier route with a much higher share of POC ridership…

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 28th, 2022, 1:18 pm

Are all of the people advocating for bus lanes on Hennepin also advocating for putting the 5 back on Chicago and ensuring the D Line isn’t detoured when it opens later this year? Haven’t heard much advocacy on that much busier route with a much higher share of POC ridership…
The D Line will open detoured with temporary stations on Park/Portland and 38th, Metro Transit plans on moving the D Line back to Chicago once the city redesigns the intersection of Chicago and 38th.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » June 28th, 2022, 5:33 pm

I am!

But let's not pretend these are comparable situations.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 30th, 2022, 11:26 am

Override of Frey's veto fails on same lines as original City Council vote. It now gets referred back to committee. I think they at least need to push for 6am - 8pm bus lanes now instead.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » June 30th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Override of Frey's veto fails on same lines as original City Council vote. It now gets referred back to committee. I think they at least need to push for 6am - 8pm bus lanes now instead.
That would be the best compromise I could imagine and would allow for a different council and mayor to easily make it 24/7.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 30th, 2022, 1:25 pm

I have to say I wonder what ridership will be on this line. The parking should reflect ridership. Which we don't know what that is yet. Parking shouldn't be removed for empty buses. Bus ridership isn't what it once was obviously.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 30th, 2022, 2:37 pm

I have to say I wonder what ridership will be on this line. The parking should reflect ridership. Which we don't know what that is yet. Parking shouldn't be removed for empty buses. Bus ridership isn't what it once was obviously.
Like I understand where you are coming from, but we are already seeing the return of ridership on major high frequency routes and aBRT tends to just increase that as well. The road also reopens in 2026, which is 4 years from now. I have a comfortable hunch that transit ridership(especially in the urban core) will have returned to pre-pandemic levels.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 30th, 2022, 2:51 pm

They should compromise by allowing citizens to report bus lane parking violations and be rewarded with 20% of the towing fine. Report by app that takes the photo submitted. Violation reports go directly to towing companies who compete to tow first, the conservative small government types in control will be happy at this out sourcing and competitive initiative.