Purple Line BRT (Rush Line Corridor)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Purple Line BRT (Rush Line Corridor)

Postby Bakken2016 » May 12th, 2022, 2:32 pm

So I do believe the routing is going to come down whether or not a bill about municipal consent for transit guideway projects passes the MN Legislature. If it doesn't I see the Met Council going ahead with the original LPA. If it does pass, then a new terminus will have to be chosen.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 12th, 2022, 9:57 pm

Have they identified possible stations for the connector? Is see it lists 6-7 stops, but not locations.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » May 12th, 2022, 10:01 pm

Have they identified possible stations for the connector? Is see it lists 6-7 stops, but not locations.
The connector would just be a regular bus route, so stops probably ever few blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 17th, 2022, 1:38 pm

Capture.PNG

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 17th, 2022, 1:41 pm

https://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites ... _final.pdf

A new presentation with more fleshed out alternatives.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » June 17th, 2022, 2:31 pm

Could century college be considered? It would eliminate the jog back and forth Maplewood mall by continuing it in the same general direction and could hit FedEx ground a huge player in the local economy. As well as the equity in increased access to community college by dedicated lane bus rapid transit! It should be a goal to connect more major community colleges by aBRT when we can.
Love to see the idea I had back in February actually be considered! This could honestly be a better route terminus than White Bear Lake when it's all said and done.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 17th, 2022, 2:39 pm

I like the idea of going to Century College. It doesn't seem to have a big effect on ridership, but getting the suburban community colleges on the transit network is huge for access to education.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 17th, 2022, 2:54 pm

What are the chances Maplewood and/or Vadnais Heights change their mind and also don't want the Purple Line? Or what about White Bear Lake not wanting the Purple Line within their border at all?

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » June 17th, 2022, 2:56 pm

What are the chances Maplewood and/or Vadnais Heights change their mind and also don't want the Purple Line? Or what about White Bear Lake not wanting the Purple Line within their border at all?
I doubt that there will be the same opposition of a smaller street connecting to Century College versus going through their precious downtown.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 17th, 2022, 2:58 pm

Maplewood and Vadnais Heights have continued to work with the Met Council during all of this, so I would say very slim. If WBL doesn't want it in their borders at all, then the Century College option would have to come off the table. That is why there are 3 different terminus ending options. I could see WBL being more receptive to a Century College terminus though. In the end WBL will be getting bus service, the Purple Line Connector is still apart of the plan, and buses will run every 30 mins between MW and DT WBL.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 17th, 2022, 3:26 pm

Maplewood and Vadnais Heights have continued to work with the Met Council during all of this, so I would say very slim. If WBL doesn't want it in their borders at all, then the Century College option would have to come off the table. That is why there are 3 different terminus ending options. I could see WBL being more receptive to a Century College terminus though. In the end WBL will be getting bus service, the Purple Line Connector is still apart of the plan, and buses will run every 30 mins between MW and DT WBL.
I hope the Purple Line Connector stays in the plan, though if that's the official name of it they may want to reconsider naming it something else. The folks in White Bear Lake might see it as a way of sneaking the Purple Line into their downtown and causing an uproar. :roll:

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 17th, 2022, 3:27 pm

I listened to some of today's meeting and it seems that Vadnais Heights has been helpful in planning that concept. It serves some employers (most prominently HB Fuller) and an existing park and ride.

They also referenced the Purple Line Connector route in the meeting, so it doesn't seem WBL will go without.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » August 2nd, 2022, 4:06 pm

https://m.startribune.com/route-change- ... lmob=y&c=n

This isn’t uncommon, the Gold Line had to do it… but it could be a non issue if it wasn’t for WBL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 2nd, 2022, 6:18 pm

Hopefully they can figure out a way to juice the rating that actually improves the line as a transitway, and isn't just pissing away $58M on a giant parking ramp for downtown commuters that may never rematerialize.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » August 2nd, 2022, 6:39 pm

Hopefully they can figure out a way to juice the rating that actually improves the line as a transitway, and isn't just pissing away $58M on a giant parking ramp for downtown commuters that may never rematerialize.
Was the highway 36 park and ride officially added yet? Because if not I feel like that will be what they decide on.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 17th, 2022, 7:54 am

Slides from the Purple Line CMC Meeting on Friday:
https://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites ... 20916a.pdf

Three main takeaways:
- Need to improve cost effectiveness of project to quality for Small Starts FTA funding program.
- Arcade St Station may be repositioned to improve ped access to Phalen Blvd.
- Purple Line Connector to White Bear Lake unlikely at opening of service.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 17th, 2022, 4:50 pm

I'm sure White Bear Lake will be relieved with the news about the Purple Line Connector. :roll:

I hope their strategy to place the Purple Line better in the rankings for federal funding won't include more park & ride spaces like they did for the Gold Line.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » September 17th, 2022, 6:36 pm

I'm sure White Bear Lake will be relieved with the news about the Purple Line Connector. :roll:

I hope their strategy to place the Purple Line better in the rankings for federal funding won't include more park & ride spaces like they did for the Gold Line.
I hope so too. What other avenues are available for boosting the FTA rating?

Also, thank goodness they're taking another look at the Arcade Street station; the old diversion to move the station like a block toward some suburban-style strip malls was ridiculous. Just the kind of needlessly confusing route shimmying that pisses riders off and makes no meaningful ridership or rider experience improvement.

I think the Wells Street idea makes sense. It would expand the walkshed and that's good since we suddenly need to increase ridership on this project.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 19th, 2022, 4:27 am

I hope so too. What other avenues are available for boosting the FTA rating?
One way would be through lowering costs, which I hope isn't the primary choice since then that could water down the BRT.
Potentially switching from New Starts to Small Starts federal funding could bump its rating due to differences in their funding rubrics.

Imo the best way would be upzoning around future stations immediately. Maybe even adding a few infill stations too.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 19th, 2022, 7:03 am

Gotta imagine that Wells St option, or even the moved Arcade St station, would cut capital costs notably by not requiring a separate bridge to get from Arcade back to the busway, in addition to improving service by removing a left turn across Arcade in each direction.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]