Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby Bakken2016 » October 17th, 2022, 3:52 pm

Is Rock Bottom Brewery closing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » October 17th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Google says Permanently closed. Seven also closed again last week due to issues with the building

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 17th, 2022, 5:23 pm

🥳

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » October 17th, 2022, 5:27 pm

I wasn’t a fan of Rock Bottom, so hopefully something better goes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 17th, 2022, 5:32 pm

Bring back the Gopher Bar!

I'm only celebrating because it seems like the reviews and quality has dropped significantly. It doesn't seem like it was a draw for folks anymore, and rather just existed. I want something here that will draw in people like a Red Rabbit or Billy Sushi. The restaurants on Hennepin have always felt too mediocre rather than unique.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » October 17th, 2022, 5:51 pm

One of the few restaurants I refuse to go back to. Assuming they can get something else to fill the space its a net positive.
I feel like Hennepin doesnt know what it wants to be and is an odd mix of ok restaurants, ok sports bars and night clubs

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 18th, 2022, 9:51 am

While I never loved Rock Bottom, it was useful as a spot to meet up easily with larger groups before downtown events for snacks and drinks. There are now surprisingly few options downtown!

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » October 18th, 2022, 10:43 am

While I never loved Rock Bottom, it was useful as a spot to meet up easily with larger groups before downtown events for snacks and drinks. There are now surprisingly few options downtown!
I tried out Tom's Watch Bar on Saturday, they seem they could host larger groups as well. Pretty sizeable drink menu too.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » October 18th, 2022, 1:26 pm

Both restaurants mentioned issues with the building. Do we have any idea what they are?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 18th, 2022, 2:50 pm

I know I keep beating this drum, but chains serve a purpose, and losing even a mediocre chain like Rock Bottom without an immediate replacement in the works is bad. Hopefully another concept can move in soon.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 18th, 2022, 2:51 pm

I’m not upset that we’re losing a chain restaurant. But I would rather have a chain than an empty space. I really wish our liquor laws weren’t so silly. Would be great if one of our local breweries could open up there.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 18th, 2022, 3:28 pm

I feel like a surprising number of breweries that have opened up recently are using the Brewpub legal framework as opposed to the Microbrewery. This would allow one of them to open up in a downtown location and sell the beer that they're producing at their main facility. Think Town Hall or Freehouse. Bricksworth, moving into the ex-Darby's space in the North Loop, appears to be using the same model.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 18th, 2022, 4:11 pm

I vote for Town Hall! Didn’t know that about the Darby’s space. That’s great.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » October 19th, 2022, 7:27 am

I think I'm done with Target. The reduced hours, closed liquor store, the ridiculous atrium remodel. Now they are locking up toothpaste.

It's really disappointing what they've done. There are almost 100,000 people within walking distance of this store.
https://twitter.com/is_atrium/status/15 ... 4494117889

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 19th, 2022, 8:56 am

Meanwhile the State St Target in downtown Chicago remains virtually the same as pre-pandemic. Whole Foods on Hennepin and Washington is open until 10pm and all their organic fancy foods and lotions are not locked up.

This company really decided to say f--- you to downtown Minneapolis, and I find it really disappointing that we can't really do much.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » October 19th, 2022, 9:09 am

I can stop shopping there.

My personal view is if a company gives the middle finger to their home town they don't get my business.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 19th, 2022, 1:22 pm

Not sure this is the right move - it's going to make floor workers' jobs a nightmare and makes shopping there a second-rate experience. But I can't say I'm totally surprised they're doing it. Many, many years ago, I worked here (mainly cashier, sometimes salesfloor). I remember hearing that revenue was often below other stores (especially once you removed the Target Corporate employee rush at noon), but we had a significantly elevated amount of theft.

I suspect if not for 1) being a spot corporate employees can still easily spend money at, and 2) the optics that closing it would get, this store wouldn't really be around anymore. It's probably one of their higher-overhead locations.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 19th, 2022, 3:37 pm

Not sure this is the right move - it's going to make floor workers' jobs a nightmare and makes shopping there a second-rate experience. But I can't say I'm totally surprised they're doing it. Many, many years ago, I worked here (mainly cashier, sometimes salesfloor). I remember hearing that revenue was often below other stores (especially once you removed the Target Corporate employee rush at noon), but we had a significantly elevated amount of theft.

I suspect if not for 1) being a spot corporate employees can still easily spend money at, and 2) the optics that closing it would get, this store wouldn't really be around anymore. It's probably one of their higher-overhead locations.
I second this opinion and have had heard that the security don't' have a lot of options to stop people from stealing. Someone hasn't stolen anything until they walk out the door. Then what are you going to do? Tackle them? No, too much liability. Does MPD want to be physically stopping shoplifters and risking creating scene and some sort of escalation?

They closed the W. Broadway Target a long time ago because of theft issues.

Also stop whining about things being locked up. It comes from a standpoint of privilege. If you've lived in areas that are underprivileged or even working class it's normal and you get used to it. I am thankful for the W. Broadway Walgreens, that it's there and open. I don't care if a ton of the products are locked up. I also like that they have MPD there since someone was shot inside the store last Spring.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » October 19th, 2022, 4:25 pm

Also stop whining about things being locked up. It comes from a standpoint of privilege. If you've lived in areas that are underprivileged or even working class it's normal and you get used to it. I am thankful for the W. Broadway Walgreens, that it's there and open. I don't care if a ton of the products are locked up. I also like that they have MPD there since someone was shot inside the store last Spring.
Locking up products is ridiculous.

I live near a Walgreens that locks up products and I won't go there anymore. I press the "call associate" button, stand there for 5 minutes, look for someone to help me, and ultimately leave empty handed. That Walgreens has easily missed out on $100 of my money because they won't sell me deodorant. It's insane.

The reaction of people with any other option when they encounter locked everyday essentials is "eff this." Only a store with a totally captive market can lock products and actually sell them. Some of that is the privilege to be able to go somewhere else, but most is just a symptom of Target's chauvinistic attitude toward the community.

Maybe if Target was trying in good faith at all to make this location community-oriented, I could look the other way. However, Target has made it abundantly clear at this point that they don't want me to shop there. To them, the store is a symbol of their empty commitment to Minneapolis and nothing else.

I wish they'd just close the place and let some real grocer move in. At least then we might get a place that's open when I'm home from work.