Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Postby Bakken2016 » February 20th, 2023, 4:32 pm

https://twitter.com/MT_MN_Alerts/status ... 98593?s=20

Speaking of the 23, and the 74. As of this Friday, they will no longer stop at the split stop and will use the METRO A Line station at Ford & Finn.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 20th, 2023, 6:05 pm

https://twitter.comin/MT_MN_Alerts/stat ... 98593?s=20

Speaking of the 23, and the 74. As of this Friday, they will no longer stop at the split stop and will use the METRO A Line station at Ford & Finn.
This is great and reasonable. Never understood having those 2 bus stops across the street on the same side.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » February 21st, 2023, 11:08 pm

Metro Transit really should do something with the east/west routes. The 4.5 miles between Lake and 66th has just routes 23 and 46 and on the weekends only the 23 hourly.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 21st, 2023, 11:24 pm

Metro Transit really should do something with the east/west routes. The 4.5 miles between Lake and 66th has just routes 23 and 46 and on the weekends only the 23 hourly.
Obviously, the frequency should be better. But 1 mile distance between East-West routes is sufficient. And there really aren't any arterials that go east/west for a long distance.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » February 22nd, 2023, 12:19 am

Obviously, the frequency should be better. But 1 mile distance between East-West routes is sufficient. And there really aren't any arterials that go east/west for a long distance.
46th to 66th is 2.5 miles without an east west route. Route 46 is somewhat long maybe extend it to the Hopkins lrt station?

Route 23 could have a better eastern terminus. I had a fantasy map with route 23 crossing the river and heading to downtown St Paul on St Clair.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 22nd, 2023, 2:42 pm

46th to 66th is 2.5 miles without an east west route. Route 46 is somewhat long maybe extend it to the Hopkins lrt station?

Route 23 could have a better eastern terminus. I had a fantasy map with route 23 crossing the river and heading to downtown St Paul on St Clair.
But where can you even run an arterial route through there? There is a lot of breaks in the street grid in Minneapolis due to lakes, highways, golf courses, and parks. Plus the density really drops off south of 46th until you get to Richfield.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » February 23rd, 2023, 8:54 pm

But where can you even run an arterial route through there? There is a lot of breaks in the street grid in Minneapolis due to lakes, highways, golf courses, and parks. Plus the density really drops off south of 46th until you get to Richfield.
I'd run a bus on 54th from the VA to Southdale. Maybe reattach Woodlawn Boulevard or run on Nokomis Parkway to get around the lake. Cross 35W on Diamond Lake (bonus if it had an Orange line stop) then take Xerxes to the mall.

StandishGuy
Nicollet Mall

Postby StandishGuy » March 14th, 2023, 2:59 pm

The Minneapolis City Council Public Works & Infrastructure Committee is scheduled to approve an agreement between MNDOT and Greyhound during their meeting on Thursday. Apparently, Greyhound will move their operations over to Ramp B utilizing the lobby as a waiting room. MNDOT owns Ramp B and Minneapolis owns Hawthorne Transportation Center: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/agenda/P ... &utm_term=

Anyone here know more about this project? I faintly remember that there are plans to create more of an intermodal hub at Ramp B, but this is all news to me.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 14th, 2023, 3:19 pm

The Minneapolis City Council Public Works & Infrastructure Committee is scheduled to approve an agreement between MNDOT and Greyhound during their meeting on Thursday. Apparently, Greyhound will move their operations over to Ramp B utilizing the lobby as a waiting room. MNDOT owns Ramp B and Minneapolis owns Hawthorne Transportation Center: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/agenda/P ... &utm_term=

Anyone here know more about this project? I faintly remember that there are plans to create more of an intermodal hub at Ramp B, but this is all news to me.
Ramp B is the best location for a future hub due to the 394 trench having the space needed for a real Minneapolis Central Station. I wonder what they're gonna do with the Hawthorne Transportation Center

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 14th, 2023, 3:44 pm

May be due to the new ownership of Greyhound. Flixbus acquired them without the real estate. They're getting out of terminals to reduce costs and this may be cheaper than Hawthorne. I'd imagine the city wouldn't be happy if they tried to go curbside.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 15th, 2023, 8:34 am

I like this idea :) closer to the light rail and more centrally located to downtown. Now they need to re-do 2nd to be a lot more pedestrian friendly. I'm not sure what's been taking so long, it's really falling apart.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 15th, 2023, 9:23 am

Yeah, it puts them it closer to the eventual intercity trains at Target Field station as well. Hope Jefferson Lines/LTA Express eventually move too.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » March 24th, 2023, 1:01 pm

I'm not sure this will effect the state much but Andy Byford has been hired as the Senior Vice President for Amtrak’s high-speed rail.

Don't think this will magically revive zip rail but isn't the nlx still pitched as higher speed or did they bump the top speed of 90mph to 79mph.

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » March 29th, 2023, 7:57 am

Metro transit is seeking feedback on what changes it should make in the near future due to the challenges of the last few years. I think the survey asks some really good questions - I would encourage everyone on this forum to take 5-10 minutes to fill it out!

https://www.metrotransit.org/network-now

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » March 29th, 2023, 9:58 am

Metro transit is seeking feedback on what changes it should make in the near future due to the challenges of the last few years. I think the survey asks some really good questions - I would encourage everyone on this forum to take 5-10 minutes to fill it out!

https://www.metrotransit.org/network-now
The slider / budget questions were really excellent (and kind of fun) - helps to visualize / quantify the magnitude of the tradeoffs that need to be made in a resource-constrained transit system.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2023, 12:13 pm

The slider / budget questions were really excellent (and kind of fun) - helps to visualize / quantify the magnitude of the tradeoffs that need to be made in a resource-constrained transit system.
Also highlights the weirdness of "geographic equality" (which I read as heavily meaning east/west, mpls/stp) as a sort of strange additional value. If it's not where people are, where people want to go or where people are most reliant on it, should there really be an additional thing that makes us put transit where it wouldn't otherwise be?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 29th, 2023, 1:48 pm

I feel like the opt-outs do a reasonable job in the south/west suburbs - much better than Metro Transit does in the east/north suburbs.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 29th, 2023, 3:07 pm

MVTA does a decent job, I think, but the other three don't run any fixed-route local service at all, do they?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 29th, 2023, 3:37 pm

MVTA does a decent job, I think, but the other three don't run any fixed-route local service at all, do they?
They all have app-based dial-a-rides that have much better service hours (including weekend service) than Transit Link. It's not perfect, but it's way better than no service.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 2nd, 2023, 6:47 am

Minnesota Democrats consider tax and fee increases

I can't tell if the plan is to raise the transit tax to or by 0.75%. Presumably the increase would be to fund local portions of the LRT lines and accelerate aBRT?