Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Postby Qhaberl » May 16th, 2023, 5:04 pm

It's still absolutely frustrating that the majority of the line will be done this year, except for the stupid tunnel. Everything is going to sit unused for 3 to 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » May 16th, 2023, 8:10 pm

It's still absolutely frustrating that the majority of the line will be done this year, except for the stupid tunnel. Everything is going to sit unused for 3 to 4 years.

From the trail closures list, it seems like construction will be going in places that are not the tunnel until 2025. Likely moving resources around to prioritize the tunnel.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 21st, 2023, 8:46 pm

Is there any chance they phased open it down to the 21st street station?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » May 22nd, 2023, 7:25 am

I was just thinking this as well.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 22nd, 2023, 8:20 am

You must mean a phased opening running from SW Station to 21st St? For one thing, I don't think there is an OMF that could maintain the vehicles on that segment of tracks independently. Furthermore, I think the new vehicles are to be delivered near the Franklin station and there won't be a way to physically transport the vehicles to the western segment until the Kenilworth tunnel is complete.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » May 22nd, 2023, 8:23 am

Last I heard they won't open it but will potential put a car on the tracks to complete testing that segment to try to speed up the opening once the tunnel is completed

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » May 22nd, 2023, 8:23 am

You must mean a phased opening running from SW Station to 21st St? For one thing, I don't think there is an OMF that could maintain the vehicles on that segment of tracks independently. Furthermore, I think the new vehicles are to be delivered near the Franklin station and there won't be a way to physically transport the vehicles to the western segment until the Kenilworth tunnel is complete.
I think they were referring to extending from Target Field to W 21st, that could be done since it’s before the tunnel.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 22nd, 2023, 8:45 am

I think they were referring to extending from Target Field to W 21st, that could be done since it’s before the tunnel.
My bad, that makes much more sense. Although maybe opening to Penn makes more sense, since (a) the tunnel construction is moving south to north I believe, so there may be ongoing construction in the vicinity of 21st, and (b) 21st isn't operationally very important as a terminus. Even if they extend the 2 simultaneously, that particular connection is really most useful for riders coming to/from the southwest.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 22nd, 2023, 10:41 am

I suspect it would come down to where the crossovers are positioned to let the trains switch tracks.

I wonder how they're getting the LRVs to the other side of the incomplete tunnel for testing? Just craning them up onto a truck?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 23rd, 2023, 4:15 pm

Sorry for confusion, yeah I meant opening from Target Field to 21st (or Bryn Mawr/Penn Station HAH!). It would add the Farmers market to the Green line which seems like a no-brainer. "Just" use regular Green Line trains. I'd imagine you'd have to add capacity to maintain the same frequency though.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » June 28th, 2023, 9:53 am

State watchdog: Met Council should reform construction practices after Southwest LRT debacle

Another legislative auditor report regarding SWLRT, this time indicating that the change order process was not subject to enough oversight from the Met Council, and that their contracts weren't written strongly enough to protect against overruns. Zelle continues to (frustratingly, in my opinion) say some combination of "this is fine" and "the feds wouldn't let us do things any differently even if things weren't fine, which they are."

It might not change anything substantively, but it would at least lend a modicum of credibility for Met Council leadership to at least acknowledge the problems that SWLRT has had.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 28th, 2023, 10:15 am

I would be interested in a deep dive where this statement by Zelle about the auditors’ recommendation that they “do not align with … construction law”.

In learning there is a thing called “construction law”.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 29th, 2023, 7:27 am

There is a lot of law around construction, ranging from extensive and detailed contracts to statutes and regulations to case law interpreting all of that.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » July 23rd, 2023, 3:17 pm

Recent drone update for the whole corridor.

https://youtu.be/neKcEGXFbZ4

pjknight01
Block E

Postby pjknight01 » July 23rd, 2023, 9:35 pm

Recent drone update for the whole corridor.

https://youtu.be/neKcEGXFbZ4
Man they are close to being done with major construction in Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, and much of Hopkins

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » July 24th, 2023, 10:27 am

And conversely - man, so much heavy construction still remaining from Hopkins to TFS.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » July 24th, 2023, 12:40 pm

I will say though, I get the need to keep people away from an active construction site but many of the trail closures look like they could easily be reopened if there was an actual desire to do so.

Also there is a sidewalk jog at blake road that biking on I almost ate it in the ballast because i wasn't paying attention and didn't expect the sidewalk to take a 90 degree turn.

Finally I did see that they are starting the installation of the power and signals systems out in Eden Prairie and I have heard that they will most likely be bringing a train out to that end to start testing before the full alignment is competed

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » July 24th, 2023, 1:27 pm

Also there is a sidewalk jog at blake road that biking on I almost ate it in the ballast because i wasn't paying attention and didn't expect the sidewalk to take a 90 degree turn.
I spotted that sidewalk turn on the video and thought it looked odd.

Anyone have a reason why they'd do that? It doesn't seem like they wanted the sidewalk to meet the railroad perpendicularly, because all of ten feet away no such jog exists where the sidewalk crosses the LRT tracks.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » July 24th, 2023, 2:04 pm

I will say though, I get the need to keep people away from an active construction site but many of the trail closures look like they could easily be reopened if there was an actual desire to do so.
I think they just give up after a point and just let people on. I can't recall the section from Louisiana to wooddale being fenced off once to section from Blake to Louisiana was paved and was using that as some gravel practice for a race for months on the weekends (although it's now freshly paved as of yesterday), and the took down the fencing blocking the beltline bridge and left a massive gap in the concrete barrier so it's theoretically rideable from Blake to the Greenway although I'd only recommend it on a mountain or gravel bike.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 24th, 2023, 2:33 pm

The footage really drives home how much of SWLRT is running through undevelopable wetlands, along highways, and industrial areas. And it's pretty stunning how little they have done north/east of Hopkins.