Shakopee - Savage - Prior Lake - Scott County

Twin Cities Suburbs
John21
Rice Park

Re: Shakopee - Savage - Prior Lake - Scott County

Postby John21 » April 15th, 2023, 11:23 am

Anyone know where the other sand bottom swimming pools in Minnesota are? I think there's one at an apartment complex in Eden Prairie, but I don't know if that's one of them since it's not open to the public.
https://preserveassociation.com/

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 30th, 2023, 8:36 am

I've been back to going to Valleyfair once or twice a week for the first time since the pandemic. Still no new B&M inverted coaster, but a few minor changes of note:

1) Security surprisingly is more relaxed despite some high profile incidents and having to discontinue haunt because kids these days can't just behave themselves. The metal detectors are set low enough you can walk through with phones and car keys and bags seem to be only inspected at random or if you set off a metal detector (or possibly if it looks like food). They're now allowing you to take a factory sealed water bottle in. Before there were routinely long lines where someone's phone set off the detector and they looked into every pocket of every bag.

2) There's places to buy real alcohol- wine, basic cocktails, and real beer instead of of the 3.2 stuff.

3) Park is now cashless with all transactions with cards or meal / drink plans linked to your pass / ticket. If you need to spend your garage sale / drug dealing money you can load cash onto a card at a kioks by the front gate. Staff don't even like to handle your season pass, they'll have you present it upside down for them to scan it.

4) A lot of the food carts and small buildings selling one item- pronto pups and pretzels have been removed or converted to other uses. Presumably it's not cost effective to staff them with the going rate for labor. A lot of the snack type things formerly sold in carts are now at "Xtreme Snacks" in the former "Mexican" food building, which is now where Nordic Waffles was.

5) Parking lot still has the original open mercury vapor high mast fixtures. Many years ago they were relamped with non-enclosed rated metal halide lamps, so the parking lot is much more brightly lit than intended. And presumably they've not (yet) had an incident with a failing lamp exploding and raining down glass on anyone walking. Since the parking lot badly needs rebuilding and it's mostly vastly under-utilized except on nice summer weekend days, I've long thought it would make a good park and ride lot for transit.

6) The shallow end of the wave pool is now fenced off with a staff person at a single entrance. Presumably this is to reduce staffing requirements so they don't need a bunch of staff spread across the entire width to enforce the "kids must wear a life jacket" requirement. Presumably they could enforce capacity limits too but there wasn't a line to get in even on a warm, busy holiday.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 30th, 2023, 9:07 am

...because kids these days can't just behave themselves.
My best friend and I were set loose in Valleyfair on his 10th birthday, all day from open to close. His mom read a book in the car, and cell phones were not a thing yet. Didn't even check in with her at all during the day. I'm sure we were angels, though.

Different times, man.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 30th, 2023, 9:33 am

Yeah, when they announced the chaperone policy there was some discussion on Reddit. And there were a lot of posts of the nature "Mom would drop me in the morning with lunch money and a bag with my swimming suit and towel in and then pick me up at night" type of memories. I didn't see it being enforced and I'm assuming it is just to give additional justification to remove kids that are causing problems and/or to hopefully have an adult somewhere in the park to take immediate custody of kids they're removing. I don't imagine they could just shove a kid out the front gate so presumably they had to babysit them in the security office until an adult could arrive at the park.

Speaking of security, I noticed some wearing yellow and some wearing blue. Don't know if one color indicates seniority of if maybe one color is park staff and one color is contractors.

Should add

7) A lot of the restrooms are original to the park or built in the 1980s and are rather crummy. They're remodeling them with really nice tile and stuff at the rate of one every couple of years. For this year the Front Gate / Route 76 restrooms got remodeled.

8) A lot of the face painting / fake tattoo type stands seem to be leased out rather than staffed by park employees.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 2nd, 2023, 4:36 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 2nd, 2023, 7:13 pm

Deviants Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » August 7th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Plus, the usual NIMBYs losing their minds at the prospect of living near anyone who makes less money. One imagines a Semisonic parody: "Suburb time / You can make my tacos, but you can't... live... here."

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » September 12th, 2023, 1:49 pm

https://www.startribune.com/constructio ... 600303918/

The Shakopee Planning Commission has rescinded their rezoning proposal, and construction will start in Spring 2024. Another loss for the NIMBYs, also feel like Beacon had a pretty solid legal ground to sue if they had pulled out on them.