Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Postby Mdcastle » January 22nd, 2024, 3:34 pm

So, why would a card have to be contactless to have it work on a bus? Swiping it worked just fine everywhere else, including vending machines of the era.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 23rd, 2024, 9:54 am

So, why would a card have to be contactless to have it work on a bus? Swiping it worked just fine everywhere else, including vending machines of the era.
I'm truly not aware of any transit system that implemented swipe to pay via credit card board moving vehicles. I don't think Cubic or any other major fare collection system invested in that.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » January 27th, 2024, 4:05 pm

I'm truly not aware of any transit system that implemented swipe to pay via credit card board moving vehicles. I don't think Cubic or any other major fare collection system invested in that.
Many transit systems also got put in a bind when 3G was discontinued since most of the tap readers on buses utilize cellular modems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » January 29th, 2024, 12:22 pm

If they do add the ability to use a normal credit/debit, is there any reason to keep the original go-to card around?
The people who use transit everyday have probably opted for a 7 or 30 day pass and those who may not have access to a credit/debit card probably can sign up for a Transit Assistance Program card easy enough.

I think I remember years ago they had this program where you got a little more the more balance you added, something like put $20 get $21 worth of value, but that was scarped years ago

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 30th, 2024, 11:00 am

If they do add the ability to use a normal credit/debit, is there any reason to keep the original go-to card around?
Wouldn't it be annoying to have lots of small transactions on a credit card statement, or *particularly* a checking account statement? It's so much nicer to have fewer, larger transactions (e.g. loading a goto card or buying a pass) for personal budgeting and reporting workflows.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 30th, 2024, 11:11 am

Wouldn't it be annoying to have lots of small transactions on a credit card statement, or *particularly* a checking account statement? It's so much nicer to have fewer, larger transactions (e.g. loading a goto card or buying a pass) for personal budgeting and reporting workflows.
Yeah, I would agree it's all up to personal preference. Why not off both when possible? Also, if the system were to ever go cash free, then having Go-To Cards is a must, because folks would have to load cash onto them.

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » January 30th, 2024, 11:42 am

Late to the party but this is great news! It works great in Chicago. Tap to pay with CC initially, but then setup a Ventra account to avoid tons of small transactions.

I agree Metro Transit should promote this big time when it goes live - bus wraps, signage at METRO stations, sports arenas, convention center.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » January 30th, 2024, 12:31 pm

That could be motivation to get a 7 or 30 day pass.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 36-37 trips a month for the 30 day one to be cheaper.

Crystal Wood
Block E

Postby Crystal Wood » January 30th, 2024, 12:51 pm

That could be motivation to get a 7 or 30 day pass.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 36-37 trips a month for the 30 day one to be cheaper.
No thanks. I ride a decent amount, but not enough that a pass breaks even (33 trips for non-rush-hour... and you'd need *50* rush hour trips per month for the $90 pass to catch up with the $65 pass plus stored value). And if they add fare capping, buying a monthly pass up front makes even less sense.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 30th, 2024, 7:11 pm

In Chicago a hold for $5 is placed and all the transactions are settled at the end of the day as a single transaction on the credit/debit card.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » February 3rd, 2024, 12:14 pm

https://m.startribune.com/a-700-mph-tun ... lmob=y&c=n
Please be an early April fools joke, it's been 10 years and 2 or 3 of the "leading companies" going bankrupt that I struggle to guess why anyone is still pushing for the hyperloop.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 3rd, 2024, 1:31 pm

"I don't think that we should let things go unstudied just because nobody has done it," said Bloomington City Manager Jamie Verbrugge, who submitted a letter of support for the study.
Jamie, no!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » February 5th, 2024, 1:45 pm

A reminder that the zoo monorail was not removed because it was inherently bad or poorly performing at its purported mobility function - they literally couldn't service the equipment because decades later, no companies remained in business to repair or replace things as they broke. The Hyperloop would be that, times a billion.

Just stick to rail, which (1) exists, and (2) has an industry to support its continued functionality.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 5th, 2024, 3:36 pm

A reminder that the zoo monorail was not removed because it was inherently bad or poorly performing at its purported mobility function - they literally couldn't service the equipment because decades later, no companies remained in business to repair or replace things as they broke. The Hyperloop would be that, times a billion.

Just stick to rail, which (1) exists, and (2) has an industry to support its continued functionality.
Interesting, I didn't know that was the reason for it shutting down. Not too surprising though.

I vaguely recall riding the zoo monorail 20+ years ago. Didn't like how slow it went even though that's what it was supposed to do. :lol:

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 6th, 2024, 2:41 pm

Has anyone seen the former zoo monorail at Sandland?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYfdid ... f0Nx7ioOYw

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » February 7th, 2024, 8:13 am

Has anyone seen the former zoo monorail at Sandland?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYfdid ... f0Nx7ioOYw
Hmm, link doesn't seem to work for me.

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » February 11th, 2024, 10:39 pm

I don't know where else to put this, but I was exploring the NTD numbers for 2023, and I decided to compare 2019 ridership with 2023 ridership for the various MN transit agencies. Metro Transit, U of M, MVTA, and SWT are all around half of 2019, with the Plymouth Metrolink having slower recovery. Outstate, Duluth is almost at 2019 levels, but both Rochester and St. Cloud are lagging behind significantly in ridership recovery. Here are the numbers:

1. Metro Transit (combined with Metropolitan Council numbers): 83,062,775 -> 48,636,646
2. U of M: 4,119,203 -> 2,406,587
3. Duluth Transit Authority: 2,794,941 -> 2,406,587
4. MVTA: 2,573,189 -> 1,232,935
5. Rochester Public Transit: 2,056,278 -> 740,294
6. St. Cloud Metro Bus: 1,797,965 -> 788,255
7. Southwest Transit: 1,125,075 -> 446,391
8. Plymouth Metrolink: 519,337 -> 180,874

What is Duluth doing up there? It seems to be working...
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » February 12th, 2024, 4:15 pm

Oops, I just realized that I made a mistake! :(
Duluth Transit Authority should be:
2,794,941 (2019) -> 2,160,066 (2023)
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.

J. Mc
City Center

Postby J. Mc » February 13th, 2024, 12:19 am

Workforce update and March 16th service changes overview: https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... hange.aspx
- The majority of schedule changes this round are due to upcoming construction detours
- Schedule improvements for reliability and schools to routes 22, 61, 74, Orange
- Blue/Green will remain at current frequency levels for now. Looking to improve to 12 minute frequency with August pick based on current operator staff levels and new recruits in training.
- A proper list of changes to be posted online 2/17.

2023 Year End Ridership: https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... t-(1).aspx
- New ridership trends are emerging!
- Ridership continues to grow systemwide, still down compared to 2019 numbers, but better than 2022.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » February 13th, 2024, 9:08 am

Wow - if I'm reading that right, LRT + BRT accounts for ~22M rides out of ~48M rides system-wide (~15M LRT, ~7M BRT). aBRT is without a doubt the best bang-for-the-buck investment MT is making right now, and it's not even close. Keep those letter lines coming!