38th and Chicago / George Floyd Square

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Eoin_Urban
Block E

38th and Chicago / George Floyd Square

Postby Eoin_Urban » January 7th, 2023, 7:29 pm

I thought a thread on this intersection would be worthwhile to discuss possibilities for the future. This can encompass transit, street configurations, or memorial considerations. I posted this in the Transportation forum because of the transportation implications are especially interesting with the combination of D Line and Route 23, and with Chicago and 38th being major thoroughfares.

Timeline:
May 2020 - George Floyd is murdered and the intersection is closed to through traffic. Route 5 and Route 23 buses are rerouted around the intersection. Route 5 avoids Chicago Ave by using Park/Portland Ave; Route 23 travels .5 mile to 42nd St.
June 2021 - The city of Minneapolis begins to attempt to reopen the intersection. By July 2022, the intersection is reopened to traffic. The center of the intersection features the fist sculpture and stops signs at every street.
December 2022 - The METRO D Line opens with temporary stations at Park/Portland and 38th. Metro Transit deferred construction of permanent stations at 38th and Chicago until a later date.

The city of Minneapolis is working on a design for the area and they plan to develop proposals in the winter/spring of 2023. I believe Metro Transit will not operate through the intersection until proposals are identified. I'm not sure when a design is finalized or any construction might start.
City of Minneapolis website on 38th & Chicago Re-Envisioned https://www.minneapolismn.gov/governmen ... icago-ave/

In terms of a universe of alternatives, I'm interested in people's thoughts on a preferred situation. Some options:
Intersection configurations:
  • Intersection is closed to traffic.
  • 38th St is open to traffic; Chicago Ave is closed
  • Chicago Ave is open to traffic; 38th St is closed
  • Entire intersection is open
Traffic types:
  • Intersection is open to some traffic (transit, emergency vehicles maybe?)
  • Regular traffic is allowed; transit is prohibited (current effective configuration)

Silophant

Re: 38th and Chicago / George Floyd Square

Postby Silophant » January 8th, 2023, 9:22 am

If it ends up being closed to traffic, they should at least figure out a better detour situation for the buses. The current situation where the 23 adds a full mile to its route to avoid getting within half a mile of the intersection is absurd, even if it has been going on for three years now.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Eoin_Urban
Block E

Postby Eoin_Urban » March 7th, 2024, 10:07 pm

Route 23 will return to 38th Street between Portland Ave and Bloomington Avenue starting March 16, 2023.
https://www.metrotransit.org/quarterly- ... y-march-16
I don't see any plans about the D Line or Route 5.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 8th, 2024, 1:53 pm

Route 23 will return to 38th Street between Portland Ave and Bloomington Avenue starting March 16, 2023.
https://www.metrotransit.org/quarterly- ... y-march-16
I don't see any plans about the D Line or Route 5.
It's because 40 foot buses can fit through the intersection currently, while artics become a challenge.