Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
twincitizen

Re: Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan

Postby twincitizen » May 22nd, 2024, 1:18 pm

I've held this opinion since late 2018 when the 2040 plan was approved, and I think I still agree with it:

I don't think Minneapolis needs to or should do too much tinkering on the land use component of the 2050 comp plan. The 2040 plan set things up pretty...comprehensively for the foreseeable future. Even with remote work making a bunch of the CBD office space obsolete and spurring a lot of articles about "reimagining downtown", downtown is already all guided as mixed use. It's not like the current zoning only allows offices...you can already build residential basically anywhere there are offices today. Looking at the Land Use and Built Form maps, the only really obvious areas that could use a fresh look are Ward 7 (concessions were made to get Lisa Goodman's vote) and the Blue Line extension station areas.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 22nd, 2024, 2:01 pm

Logan Park's anomalous Interior 1 status (the only Interior 1 south of Lowry, and adjacent to the Route 17 to boot!) should get fixed as well, but I generally agree with you. It would be nice to see Interior 3 extend a couple blocks out from major transit routes, but the big lifts going forward are just going to be unlocking the stuff already permitted by the comp plan by fixing setback and FAR limitations.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » May 22nd, 2024, 2:25 pm

My wishlist would include:

Bumping all interior zones up one level, so interior 1 zoned parcels allow what is currently allowed in interior 2, interior 2 allows what is currently allowed in interior 3, and interior 3 allows what is currently allowed in corridor 4.

Blue line station area upzoning

Some amount of green line extension upzoning in Bryn Mawr and Kenwood (would be a tough political battle)

Changing minimum height minimums from 10 stories to 6 stories in the transit 30 zone so 5 over 1s can be built there

Lowering the amount of land where mixed use is required while increasing the amount of land where mixed use is allowed (but not required)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 22nd, 2024, 3:58 pm

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 22nd, 2024, 5:28 pm

One can hope that as the long-awaited Great Generational Wealth Transfer gets underway, a lot of younger folks will find themselves in possession of properties long held by their NIMBY-adjacent parents that they wish to monetize, and that a flexible zoning code could help them up-develop and capture some value that way.

Wishful thinking maybe...but we can hope.