Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Korh
Rice Park

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Korh » February 8th, 2024, 6:26 pm

Does anyone have any video's of the old trails around the metro? I found some old video's of the Cedar Lake Regional Trail before construction for SWLRT started 5-6 years ago and got an unintended wave of nostalgia and I swear there used to be another gravel travel besides the Luce Line, Minnetonka, and River bluffs because I have a core memory of riding in a buggy on one the felt like towards the city.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 22nd, 2024, 8:08 am

Working remote means I rarely visit downtown. I take in a Shakespeare play at the Guthrie once a year. Since last year I noticed 2nd St has had a two-way curb separated bike lane added.

I kinda wish it was on the north side instead of the south. But it’s a really nice upgrade from paint and tickle stick lanes.

Are more downtown streets getting the curb separating lanes soon?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 22nd, 2024, 9:40 am

11th Ave S is getting resurfaced from West River Parkway to 8th St this year. I'd like to imagine that that would include completing the protection south of Washington, but I haven't seen any confirmation of that, and I don't really trust the current Public Works leadership.

9th and 10th Streets are also supposed to be getting protected bike lanes of some sort in 2026 or so, last I heard.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wezle
Metrodome

Postby Wezle » April 22nd, 2024, 10:16 am

Park and Portland are also getting repaved this summer between Washington Ave and E 17th St. Going to go from 3 lanes -> 2 narrowed lanes with added buffer space between traffic and bike lanes. Not sure if that'll be curb protected or just paint bike lanes though.

Anondson
IDS Center

Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Anondson » June 8th, 2024, 8:06 pm

This past week the segment between Blake Road to Excelsior Blvd was finally paved for the Cedar Lake Trail. Effectively biking between Chowen Avenue (Whole Foods) to Hopkins’ Depot is bikeable.

The fencing is incomplete posts, which I’m sure will be strung up in the coming week or two. But the detour-free bike route between Hopkins to Uptown is nearly re-opened in full.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » June 9th, 2024, 8:00 am

Unfortunately the crossing at the intersection at excelsior and the 169 North ramps literally just closed so they can remove the slip right turn lanes.
Still wish there was a tunnel but imo crossing excelsior at that point has never been that awful despite the number of lanes. What makes a crossing awful has more to do with things like is there any notable obstacle that prevents me from seeing on coming traffic for a few 100ft if not 1000, are the crossing buttons in an awkward position where I have to turn my bike 90 degrees or more to activate it, an I given any space waiting for the light to change or is my from wheel literally on the street. etc.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » June 10th, 2024, 6:35 am

The rest of the path to the minnesota river bluffs trail is also paved just waiting on the fencing.

the one that frustrates me is the luce line bridge to van white. The bridge is fully complete except the connection to the van white bridge but they say it wont open till next year for some reason.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 3rd, 2024, 5:19 pm

Thought about placing this in the St. Louis Park general topics, but the SLP city council voted 6-1 in favor of the Dakota Ave route for the regional trail.

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_sail ... c7ef8.html

Construction is years off pending funding sources.

I’m so glad for this as it will link the High School, Peter Hobart elementary school, and Wooddale station, and crossing the new bike/ped bridge over the freight rail. Better than the option of Louisiana Ave, IMO.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 12th, 2024, 6:22 am

The SWLRT trail from the Midtown Greenway to Hopkins has officially reopened.
https://www.startribune.com/bike-trails ... /601069988

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » August 22nd, 2024, 3:57 pm

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/ee ... 50bbc5541a

The rail-trail that goes between the downtowns of Carver and Chaska will be extended east on the former railroad right-of-way to just west of Audubon Road, making it quite a bit more straightforward to reach the Minnesota River Bluffs LRT Trail, though I wish it kept going on the railroad bed across Audubon Road and over Flying Cloud Drive. Hopefully that will be a future project.