The Venue at Dinkytown - (14th Avenue SE & 5th Street SE)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
alleycat
Landmark Center

Re: House of Hanson Site (14th Avenue SE & 5th Street SE)

Postby alleycat » February 19th, 2013, 9:08 am

The Duffy's own the two Victorian structures that sit next to each other behind the pizza shop. I was a tenant in the one next to Duffy's. I'm pretty certain they subsidized the pizza business with the four flats and a studio that are in those two buildings.
Even if that is true, is that a problem? They chose to maximize the utility of 2 adjacent properties owned while providing housing, cheap unique pizza dining, and a hair salon. One could easily make the case that the new buildings going up are subsidizing the parking and retail space with the numerous bedrooms (of which will cost more than the flats/studio in the victorian houses).
It is true and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact it's a wise business decision. It was in response to how they have stuck it out despite never being incredibly busy, especially after Mesa Pizza swooped in. Here's another detail that's true. In the past HoHa tried to buy them out in order to expand their parking lot (HoHa owns that land) and Duffy's would never sell. The market shifted and apparently both HoHa and Duffy's made the decision to sell. A few of my college roommates worked at the grocery store, UTEC and the parking lot in odd jobs. It was an oddly great place to live.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 19th, 2013, 12:07 pm

The Duffy's own the two Victorian structures that sit next to each other behind the pizza shop. I was a tenant in the one next to Duffy's. I'm pretty certain they subsidized the pizza business with the four flats and a studio that are in those two buildings.
Even if that is true, is that a problem? They chose to maximize the utility of 2 adjacent properties owned while providing housing, cheap unique pizza dining, and a hair salon. One could easily make the case that the new buildings going up are subsidizing the parking and retail space with the numerous bedrooms (of which will cost more than the flats/studio in the victorian houses).
It is true and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact it's a wise business decision. It was in response to how they have stuck it out despite never being incredibly busy, especially after Mesa Pizza swooped in. Here's another detail that's true. In the past HoHa tried to buy them out in order to expand their parking lot (HoHa owns that land) and Duffy's would never sell. The market shifted and apparently both HoHa and Duffy's made the decision to sell. A few of my college roommates worked at the grocery store, UTEC and the parking lot in odd jobs. It was an oddly great place to live.
Wasn't claiming it wasn't true, just that a lot of people seem to have "insight" on the workings of small, privately held companies sometimes and I get skeptical on the numbers people throw out there.

I agree with you it's a wise business decision to worry about total profitability of your mixed-use building rather than hinging all your finances on one of the businesses. If Duffy's saw a slow month (like May when students all go home) they wouldn't need to shut down to afford their property taxes and avoid utilities.

I'm excited to see all this surface parking go. I'm just a much bigger fan of incremental additions to areas. Unfortunately our tax and zoning code don't encourage or allow this to happen. And thus we go 20 years with surface lots only to end up with a giant structure feeding profits of out-of-state developers (not always but frequently) instead of year-by-year additions and improvements in the same time-frame.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » February 22nd, 2013, 1:16 pm

Pretty amazing that a ten part series on Dinkytown doesn't manage to interview anyone under age 50 (as far as I could work out)

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2013/ ... -easy-mess

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 22nd, 2013, 3:24 pm

Pretty amazing that a ten part series on Dinkytown doesn't manage to interview anyone under age 50 (as far as I could work out)

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2013/ ... -easy-mess
They do briefly interview the student member of the neighborhood association, and he says:

“Dinkytown should be an urban, pedestrian-oriented place. They should get rid of at least one lane of curb parking on Fourth Street, and use that space to complete the missing link for the bike lane there, and expand the sidewalk space.”

Generational gap, much?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 22nd, 2013, 3:33 pm

Also, as a mini-rant after reading all that, where were all these NIMBYs when they tore down the Oak Street Cinema? THAT was a real part of campus heritage we lost, and nobody blinked. This just seems to me like some small business owners living in a low-rent fantasyland who don't want anything to change. If you make so little profit that you can't afford to move, maybe it's time for a new business model. And if Podium is getting customers driving in from across the Midwest, they shouldn't have issues making it in a new location.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 23rd, 2013, 4:09 pm

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 23rd, 2013, 4:41 pm

Ridiculous. Some people just have waaay too much free time

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 25th, 2013, 9:49 am

Maybe there could be a parody site that talks about the virtues of restricted-use surface parking lots.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 25th, 2013, 11:32 am

What makes me angry is their use of Dinky Town, as the name of the neighborhood, as an argument about it not getting bigger buildings. While its pretty disputed how the Dinky Town moniker came to be, it doesn't have anything to do with the size of the buildings.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 25th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Planning Commission COW documents available here: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-104318
One of the renders shows a sign calling this 5th Street Flats, but city documents are calling it 5th Street Mixed Use. I think we all know the real name will be FLA5th or something equally horrendous.

They will also discuss The Bridges proposal.

Looking at the very first image here it seems they could have done this without taking the HoH building. Not because it's an architectural marvel worth saving, but because it seems to be the primary cause of controversy surrounding this development. Check page 3 of that same doc for an interesting paragraph about parking. There is a motion on the City Council's P&Z Committee this week to have CPED staff study reducing that strange parking requirement from .5 spaces/BR to .25/BR, per Cam Gordon's proposed amendment. They had better hurry up with that study...

St. Apolis
Block E

Postby St. Apolis » March 13th, 2013, 10:59 pm

A subtle redesign of the 14th & 5th corner:

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 14th, 2013, 6:48 am

New article from the Daily.

http://www.mndaily.com/city/business/20 ... ans-motion

This comment is absolutely ridiculous. I hope this person realizes where Dinkytown is.

Fraser said she is wary of the concentration of students in Dinkytown.

“We are concerned that it’s all student housing,” she said. “We want a more diverse neighborhood.”

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » March 14th, 2013, 9:08 am

There's a weird conflation of Dinkytown and Marcy-Holmes that fuels those comments. Yes, one is technically part of the other, but the anti-development crowd in Dinkytown likes to talk as though Dinkytown itself, rather than Marcy-Holmes more broadly, is a mix of longtime residents and students when that is clearly not the case and has not been for a very long time. It's a cheap rhetorical sleight of hand that only fools themselves.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 14th, 2013, 9:15 am

That redesign of the corner looks fantastic. Not 100% on board with the black paneling breaking up the brick over the door, but it still fits the neighborhood far, far better than the current structure.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 14th, 2013, 10:59 am

Fraser said she is wary of the concentration of students in Dinkytown.

“We are concerned that it’s all student housing,” she said. “We want a more diverse neighborhood.”
Then let the students concentrate in apartment buildings catered to them so that houses can be for families.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 14th, 2013, 11:46 am

Here's what the owner of the House of Hanson has to say about this:

"Laurel Bauer, owner of House of Hanson, said it is too late for community members to be protesting the project. Dinkytown needs to be more open to progress, she said.

'Do we have the right to tell the city to leave this donut hole alone?” she said. “Part of me says Dinkytown will get left in the dust.'

The building will include retail space, and although Rauenhorst said Opus hasn’t searched for tenants, it will seek out businesses “consistent with the fabric of Dinkytown.”

Bauer said she felt the mixed-use format makes the best use of her land — both by bringing in customers and responding to high property values in the area."

So even she is okay with the project.....time to move on I'd say, nay-sayers!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 14th, 2013, 1:26 pm

So even she is okay with the project.....time to move on I'd say, nay-sayers!
Well, obviously she's fine with the deal, because she's getting a big pile of cash when she sells the land.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 14th, 2013, 4:44 pm

"Big" pile?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 14th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Exact size of pile unknown.

However, here were her options:

1. Not sell and get put out of business by new grocery store.

2. Sell the land to the highest bidder.

So, yeah, she's probably in favor of the redevelopment. Which is not to say she's wrong, just that she may not be the impartial small business owner you want to cite in order to go all QED.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 14th, 2013, 7:32 pm

She will get fair market value plus a developers fee based on how many units are built.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.