Maurices HQ Building - Duluth

cass
Block E

Maurices HQ Building - Duluth

Postby cass » June 28th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Hey all, I'm not sure if this is the "proper" way to do things on here, but I wanted to add this article that I saw today for Duluth.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/235572/

"Plans were announced this morning to raze the former KDAL building on Superior Street and Fourth Avenue West in downtown Duluth and build a 15-story office building on the site. Mayor Don Ness said the city will seek $20 million in state grants to help pay for the $80 million project led by the AtWater Group, which owns the building. The project’s anchor tenant won’t be revealed for a few more weeks"

Shawn
Site Admin

Re: New Building proposed for Downtown Duluth

Postby Shawn » June 28th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Welcome to the forums! Yes, this is correct way to start threads around here. Are you a duluth local?

cass
Block E

Postby cass » June 28th, 2012, 10:14 pm

I actually reside in the twin cities, but went to school in Duluth so I keep up on what's going on there. (glad you were able to get another site up to replace Minnescraper!) I'm a long time reader, but decided to sign up again on the new site.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 28th, 2012, 11:02 pm

I'm excited for the density this will bring, but it seems very plain and nondescript... It's only defining feature is the roof. (which is actually far from unique)

Cyclotron
City Center

Postby Cyclotron » June 29th, 2012, 10:21 am

Is that the Piper Jaffray tower in the background of that rendering?
The greatest danger of bombs is in the explosion of stupidity that they provoke. - Octave Mirbeau

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 29th, 2012, 10:39 am

No, it's the Qwest building on 1st Street.

jbraski
Block E

Postby jbraski » June 29th, 2012, 11:26 am

Very exciting news. I always thought that site needed some sort of high rise building. I agree with you, mplser, it seems very lack-luster, and somewhat dated (1980's vibe?). I like that it has a lot of windows but the roof seems a bit out of place for the building and the color is rather odd. Maybe if it were copper, it could play off the Coppertop Church feel. I know that this is just a rendering and I'm sure it would be better seeing it in built form. Overall, I am ecstatic though...finally, a new office high-rise for Duluth!! Keep your fingers crossed that it pulls through.
P.S. I'm picturing a rooftop garden on top of the shorter building with some outdoor seating for a cafe...lofty dreams?
P.P.S. Has anyone heard of the 2 hotels that were planned for Canal Park/Park Point?

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » August 11th, 2012, 7:56 pm

We should find out in September if this qualifies for the state funding. From what I understand $8 million is being sought for from the state, and then the city would match another $8 million or so. Also the bonding money is solely for the underground parking structure, not the building itself. Another interesting note, AAR Corp just announced they were expanding into Duluth and would be adding about 200-250 when fully staffed, everything I've read about the Atwater tower project has said it would support about 200 jobs... Could be just a coincidence, but I would put my money on AAR corp occupying the new building. Also any chance we could get the title changed to Atwater Tower Development? It would be a little more specific then just saying "New Building..." Thanks! Great site btw.

cass
Block E

Re: AtWater Building

Postby cass » August 20th, 2012, 10:11 pm

You might be right beykite, but I think many of those jobs are going to be at the old northwest maintenance facility at the airport. Other possible contenders could be Enbridge or possibly Maurices (I think Maurices headquarters I last heard is almost full and possibly spread out...I could be wrong on both or all points though).

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » August 20th, 2012, 10:47 pm

You might be right beykite, but I think many of those jobs are going to be at the old northwest maintenance facility at the airport. Other possible contenders could be Enbridge or possibly Maurices (I think Maurices headquarters I last heard is almost full and possibly spread out...I could be wrong on both or all points though).
Makes sense. I wasn't sure how many of those jobs would be "office jobs" anyways. I do believe you are right about Maurices though (or we are both wrong)
P.P.S. Has anyone heard of the 2 hotels that were planned for Canal Park/Park Point?
Last I had heard it had been significantly scaled back, although I don't think it's officially dead... Yet.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » September 10th, 2012, 2:02 pm

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105508850/Cap ... plications

This project scored at the top for the northern region. Assuming the decisions go by this report I'd say this project is pretty likely.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 10th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Great news for Duluth! I remember reading back in the day it was believed Duluth would be larger than Chicago.

I actually like the design and am glad retail is going to be included. Love the idea of rooftop deck. Does the new Sheraton have any rooftop bar/restaurant overlooking Lake Superior?

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » September 10th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Great news for Duluth! I remember reading back in the day it was believed Duluth would be larger than Chicago.

I actually like the design and am glad retail is going to be included. Love the idea of rooftop deck. Does the new Sheraton have any rooftop bar/restaurant overlooking Lake Superior?
I don't believe so. The only restaurant I know of there is Restaurant 301 and its on the first floor.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 13th, 2012, 11:55 am

Duluth got $8.5M for this project!

The full list can be found here:
http://www.positivelyminnesota.com/Abou ... ogram.aspx

jbraski
Block E

Postby jbraski » September 13th, 2012, 9:19 pm

So excited for this project! Can't wait until more renderings of the building come out! :) Yay, Duluth!

cass
Block E

Postby cass » September 14th, 2012, 7:46 am

And it looks like the major tenant is Maurices with Barr Engineering taking another 30-40,000 sq feet.

THERAT
Metrodome

Postby THERAT » September 14th, 2012, 10:49 am

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » September 14th, 2012, 1:13 pm

From the DNT article:
Fully occupied, the building is projected to keep 500 professional jobs in Duluth and create about 250 more jobs, with average wages of $56,300, the grant application says.
But moves by Maurices and potentially Barr Engineering from their current offices downtown to the new office tower, would leave substantial vacant office space in the heart of downtown.
Does it take 250 people to run a 15-story office building? And if janitors in Duluth make $56k a year, I'm quitting my job and moving north.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2012, 2:25 pm

It will be interesting to see if this significantly shifts the "center of gravity" of downtown Duluth, since this is on the far west end of downtown. There' been an uptick in redevelopment in Old Downtown (east), but this may leave sort of a donut hole between the two areas.

duluthnative
Block E

Postby duluthnative » November 11th, 2012, 1:59 pm

I think David Salmela should design it-he's never done a high rise yet. That would be a far improvement over Krech Ojard's 80's design. By the way does anyone remember the proposed "VonJaro tower" from 5 years ago? I think that one is dead!