Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Didier » June 28th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I'm holding out hope that Wilf springs for the retractable roof.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » June 28th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Hearing of Wilf's penchant to build a stadium with an "authentic midwest feel," is more evidence that despite a billion dollar investment, we, the public, are being prepared to settle for lowered expectations on the design of the new Peoples Stadium.

What indeed does an "authentic midwest feel" mean? Will it reflect the kind of Midwestern ingenuity that incorporates a soaring aspirations like those captured in the design of St. Louis' Arch or Chicago's Sears Tower? Or are we more likely to get stuck with another placid, retro-brick warehouse style building -- a retread of Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium?

Are we really expected to believe a Lucas Oil style stadium, plunked down on the East end of downtown Minneapolis, will serve as a catalyst that will spur all sorts of area development? For that you need imaginative, architectural thinking. The daring design of the Guthrie Theater, MIll City Museum and Gold Medal Park spurred hundreds of units of new housing and development. Those architectural centerpieces convey a cosmopolitan signature that generate excitement and allure that made the MIll District the fastest growing neighborhood downtown.

A Lucas Oil style warehouse would be the creative opposite of that. Why not try something like the design for Los Angeles' futuristic Farmers Field. It is bold, arresting and makes the pulse beat faster when you view it. If not that, why not at least build the football equivalent of Target Field. Both are unique, push the design envelope and immediately informs visitors they are in a very special venue for a very special event. Lucas Oil Stadium merely inspires yawns.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 28th, 2012, 9:52 pm

I think you're drawing too many conclusions based on a purposely vague statement.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » June 29th, 2012, 8:06 am

Hearing of Wilf's penchant to build a stadium with an "authentic midwest feel," is more evidence that despite a billion dollar investment, we, the public, are being prepared to settle for lowered expectations on the design of the new Peoples Stadium.

What indeed does an "authentic midwest feel" mean? Will it reflect the kind of Midwestern ingenuity that incorporates a soaring aspirations like those captured in the design of St. Louis' Arch or Chicago's Sears Tower? Or are we more likely to get stuck with another placid, retro-brick warehouse style building -- a retread of Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium?

Are we really expected to believe a Lucas Oil style stadium, plunked down on the East end of downtown Minneapolis, will serve as a catalyst that will spur all sorts of area development? For that you need imaginative, architectural thinking. The daring design of the Guthrie Theater, MIll City Museum and Gold Medal Park spurred hundreds of units of new housing and development. Those architectural centerpieces convey a cosmopolitan signature that generate excitement and allure that made the MIll District the fastest growing neighborhood downtown.

A Lucas Oil style warehouse would be the creative opposite of that. Why not try something like the design for Los Angeles' futuristic Farmers Field. It is bold, arresting and makes the pulse beat faster when you view it. If not that, why not at least build the football equivalent of Target Field. Both are unique, push the design envelope and immediately informs visitors they are in a very special venue for a very special event. Lucas Oil Stadium merely inspires yawns.
We have not even seen a design and you're complaining. Hey, you seem to think 222 is stellar, so why wouldn't a Lucas type be a thrill for you? I mean seriously.

I have hope. I agree, let' beg to the arch gods that it won't be too midwestern-ie. AKA...222/Lucas stadium and all of the crap infill we've seen the past two years. At least the Excel energy building wil be nic. In fact, imagine that design at 6o floors....even better.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 29th, 2012, 8:19 am

I'm pissed because the stadium wont be tall enough. It needs to be a high rise.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 29th, 2012, 8:26 am

This made me laugh.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 29th, 2012, 9:22 am

This made me laugh.
-1 :lol:

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 29th, 2012, 9:23 am

This made me laugh.
Same here.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 29th, 2012, 9:23 am

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » June 29th, 2012, 11:17 am

...I smiled too.

Correction: I never said I was a fan of the design at 222.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 29th, 2012, 11:31 am

I think it would be cool if it had some sort of landmark feature maybe other than just the building structure that could help distinguish the neighborhood?

The Portland Convention Center comes to mind

As well as the Berlin Union Station

Almost like the landmark tower that has been chatted about... easily visible but a bit more modest, classy? I know hard to associate with football ;)

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 29th, 2012, 11:35 am

I would contest that 222 is not midwesterny.

I am not here to talk about that right now. This stadium is not just a piece of infill. I needs to be and will be monumental like The Guthrie and The Walker. It will probably use some locally quarried stone like Target field and have strong geometries. Expect light towers and a strong connection to plazas and public spaces. It will also have some sort of cantilever. It will be the first of a new age of stadiums. It will be refined.

4-d
^ 4-d

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 29th, 2012, 11:49 am

most of the new NFL stadiums are pretty generic except for the retractable domes in arizona or dallas. seattle's stadium is nice.

mark wilf has mentioned they are studying the new miami marlins stadium. perhaps the retractable feature will slide off the roof and cantilever over this new plaza.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 29th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Uff, the Marlin's stadium looks super clunky...

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 29th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Uff, the Marlin's stadium looks super clunky...
aye aye
^ 4-d

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 29th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Aside from the fact that it was built in "arden hills" the University of Phoenix stadium is amazing. When I lived there is was fantastic to see and be in.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 29th, 2012, 12:07 pm

thats a little bit better but it seems so corporate. I don't think there is a stadium out there that will push the bounds like metrodome 2.0 will. Also, wouldn't it be crazy if they named it that?
^ 4-d

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 29th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Aside from the fact that it was built in "arden hills" the University of Phoenix stadium is amazing. When I lived there is was fantastic to see and be in.
Hate this stadium. Way too cavernous.
Towns!

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » July 9th, 2012, 12:03 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/161698 ... y#continue

The link to the Strib story cites amenities like extra bathrooms, high definition video displays, wider concourses, team halls of fame, skyways and high-end finishes in luxury boxes as costs responsible for the surge in stadia costs nationally.

We should expect to get a peek at design details sometime early next year with a groundbreaking in the early Spring if the new stadium is to be completed by August 2016.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 12th, 2012, 8:55 am

Not sure if there's any news here. Bagley says the stadium must accommodate baseball, soccer and basketball. They think a retractable feature is important. And they want a signature facility that's unique to the area, but they won't know what that means until architects weigh in.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21 ... red-lester