Embassy Suites (Plymouth Building) - 12 6th Street S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Plymouth Building apartments

Postby Nathan » March 10th, 2013, 8:41 am

Sounds like that Specialty Beer Bar might be 'The World of Beers'? Or is that slated for somewhere else?

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » March 10th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Wondrouz Asian Kitchen closed? The things you miss when you move away...

Well, it had a good run....sort of....I guess...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 11th, 2013, 9:20 am

Well at the very least, it proved once and for all that restaurants with Z's in their name cannot succeed in that space.

It also gave birth to the term "Phamming", which seems to be catching on around here.

It seems any time there is a Strib story about a downtown residential development, someone will inevitably post the "Why would ANYONE want to live downtown?" comment. On the bright side, those comments are usually given a rezounding thumbs down.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 37611.html

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » March 11th, 2013, 9:52 am

One other benefit of this building being converted into apartments is that it takes a good chunk of available office space off the market. If this trend continues, we could see a 2-3 other office-to-apartment conversion projects in the next year which will help put a tight squeeze on office space and force someone to build a new 30-50 story building.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » March 11th, 2013, 11:28 am

I've been in this building many times- My aunt worked in it for 25+ years... beautiful building but it will need a ton of work from what I remember.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 11th, 2013, 11:29 am

The problem with that logic is that this is primarily class B space which doesn't usually translate to building new class A space. We'll see if there is an uptick in current class A adsorption, but I doubt it. I'd be glad to be proven wrong though.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » March 11th, 2013, 11:42 am

^^ One thing to keep in mind is that class A office space has low vacancy rates in a down economy because as rental rates drop across the board, it becomes feasible for companies to afford prestigious class A space. I guarantee as the rental rates continue to creep up as the general economy (hopefully) improves, you will see class B vacancy drop. A lot of class A now is filled by people who aren't willing to pay much higher rental rates then they are now- they are only in class A because it was cheap several years ago.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 11th, 2013, 11:51 am

Speaking of class 'B' office space....

http://finance-commerce.com/2013/03/are ... a-rebound/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » March 12th, 2013, 7:27 am

semi-side note, but the company my aunt worked for in the plymouth building is a jeweler that has been in the building for 62 years- they have gigantic 60+ year old walk-in safes that need to be removed... That in itself will be a construction/engineering nightmare

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 12th, 2013, 8:17 am

semi-side note, but the company my aunt worked for in the plymouth building is a jeweler that has been in the building for 62 years- they have gigantic 60+ year old walk-in safes that need to be removed... That in itself will be a construction/engineering nightmare
Or, thinking creatively and adapting the space.......extremely safe walk-in closets! Or "Panic rooms"!!

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » March 12th, 2013, 9:05 am

Or, thinking creatively and adapting the space.......extremely safe walk-in closets! Or "Panic rooms"!!
I lived in a building that was originally a bank. They converted the lobby into a grand entrance area and the basement vault into storage areas for the residents. The vault doors were disabled and fencing was installed in/around to create many more storage spaces, but it was a cool use of the space.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 12th, 2013, 9:10 am

Pretty sure the Bank and Restaurant Max both use their old main floor vaults that existed before those two buildings became the Westin and Hotel Minneapolis respectively.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 12th, 2013, 9:22 am

I believe that the jeweler was on the skyway level, there would be no appartment on that level as it will remain retail to keep the skyways filled and provide amenities for the people renting in the building.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 12th, 2013, 12:59 pm

There were quite a few jewelers/ stone wholesalers. I'm sure the building is full of vaults.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » March 12th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Yes the jeweler I am talking about is on the 7th floor

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 13th, 2013, 9:53 am

Then the valt would make for intresting amenities or talking points when you have people over . Would be interesting to see how they could be reused.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 13th, 2013, 10:40 am

50 Shades of Grey Suite

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 13th, 2013, 5:14 pm

The developer for this project was also at the DMNA meeting last night. It was entertaining--one of the soon-to-be displaced jewelers showed up at the meeting as well and did quite a bit of interrupting. Nothing hugely rude, but it felt tense. Anywho, they're trying to move some of the existing tenants to other properties the same guy owns nearby. I also got the feeling that this was going to be a bit lower of a price point than some of the other stuff that's going on lately. He mentioned studios for $833/month.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 13th, 2013, 5:36 pm

So the studios are less than 500 sq. feet? Lordy. From the Strib "Phillips said he’s planning to make 75 percent of the 252 units one-bedroom apartments with about 500 square feet. Rents will range from about $1,200 to $1,400, with occupancy anticipated in late 2014."

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 13th, 2013, 6:16 pm

I think this market needs the market rate 350-400 sq ft studio. It's a totally valid option for the single downtown worker. If I was single, I'd rather live in an updated super small studio in an awesome building vs a comparably priced one bedroom in a place like Rivergate.
Towns!