Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 22nd, 2013, 9:17 pm

Yikes! Not for me, personally.....I guess I'm more traditional than the average fan. This just doesn't scream "Minnesota" to me whatsoever. IDK, what do others think?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 22nd, 2013, 10:12 pm

What screams Minnesota?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 22nd, 2013, 11:19 pm

IDK, I just am not loving it.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 23rd, 2013, 7:01 am

Amazing how that one pic can change perspective. I went from loving that design to dreading it. It went from looking sleek and cool to industrial and fugly. like curvy pole barn.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 23rd, 2013, 7:07 am

Don't know if this rendering has been posted before...

This makes me think of something that would be built in Vancouver and then used as a backdrop in all sci fi television shows for the next two decades.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » March 23rd, 2013, 7:47 am

Definitely not the type of architecture you see going up in MN everyday - but don't think that's a bad thing - especially everyone wants more national/international recognition for Minneapolis being a creative, innovative, world-class city. Think it would tie in well to the Guthrie, etc. and hopefully encourage architects to be a bit more daring in designing the other buildings we all hope will spring up around the stadium and in DTE.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 23rd, 2013, 8:43 am

Definitely not the type of architecture you see going up in MN everyday - but don't think that's a bad thing - especially everyone wants more national/international recognition for Minneapolis being a creative, innovative, world-class city. Think it would tie in well to the Guthrie, etc. and hopefully encourage architects to be a bit more daring in designing the other buildings we all hope will spring up around the stadium and in DTE.
Yes. Totally agree. If we get a bold and daring design for the stadium, that will set the standard and raise the bar for the rest of DTE.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 23rd, 2013, 9:18 am

I think you can accomplish this AND satisfy the tastes of most Minnesotans though. We can be cutting edge while also feeling really good about the design. The Guthrie is an excellent example. I think we can do better, and I hope we do.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » March 23rd, 2013, 9:24 am

Is this from the actual proposed design, or is this just an add-on to the rendering that's been floating about since the architect was first selected?

If it's not just playing around, I'm very pleased. I've always liked that design best, since it seemed iconic in a way that's somehow reminded me of the Sydney Opera House, EXCEPT that I imagined that up close it would feel cold, monolithic and overwhelming, a kind of immense sculpture on a pedestal with "Don't Touch!" signs posted around it.

In this rendering, with the giant louvers, it becomes much more permeable and accessible. In other words, less standoffish from the neighborhood. I hope very much that the feel portrayed here carries over into the final design.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 23rd, 2013, 9:31 am

I'm pretty sure this is just the architect throwing something at a wall to show what an outside-the-box stadium here could possibly look like. I don't think there is any reason to believe the drawing is the basis of the actual design, which is still being worked on.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 23rd, 2013, 9:45 am

I'm pretty sure this is just the architect throwing something at a wall to show what an outside-the-box stadium here could possibly look like. I don't think there is any reason to believe the drawing is the basis of the actual design, which is still being worked on.
Yes, it looks like a concept rendering as an example of the stadium using movable doors rather than a retractable roof. Interesting though, as we heard recently they are still looking at roof options. My guess is that HKS has several working designs on the table as we speak.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » March 23rd, 2013, 10:09 am

Hmm. The schematic design is due to be made public in April. I can't see much reason for throwing out a new rendering that might be irrelevant to what appears then. However, if this rendering was actually made available, say, last October when the architect was first selected, and this forum just managed to get hold of it now, then I agree that it shouldn't be taken as any indication of the final design.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » March 23rd, 2013, 10:10 am

Jfuss, how did you get hold of this?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 23rd, 2013, 10:25 am

At first I agreed with the poll barn type appearance and was a bit turned off, It seems like a glorified tent when there is no culminating weight where it meets the ground. But then I started feeling like that makes it so much less imposing on the spaces around it, actually pretty light and wispy for as massive as it is. Something that could easily grow a diverse neighbor without a specific label.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » March 23rd, 2013, 10:32 am

Probably from here:
http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn ... ium-watch/

And it looks like it's just part of the original collection of photos of that design. They also have the following additional images which I think we've all seen before:
http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn ... roof-1.jpg
http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn ... roof-3.jpg
http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn ... roof-4.jpg
http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn ... roof-5.jpg

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 23rd, 2013, 11:38 am

What I especially like about this perspective of the design is that it looks like it could be a number of structures It really breaks up the massing.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 23rd, 2013, 12:06 pm

^^^It challenges the idea of what the traditional form of a stadium is. I saw this on a website recently, and the design takes advantage of different angles of natural sunlight. http://www.aasarchitecture.com/2012/11/ ... tects.html.
Last edited by John on March 23rd, 2013, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » March 23rd, 2013, 1:58 pm

I found it here...http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... es-remain/

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » March 23rd, 2013, 2:00 pm

Image[/quote]

This is from AECOM. Here is a link to the other rejected stadium designs. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... um-designs

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 23rd, 2013, 2:06 pm

Oops! Thanks for the clarification Jfuss. On the website where I saw it , it appeared as if it was another HKS rendering. Anyways, I do like it.