CHS Field (St. Paul Saints Ballpark)

The Most Livable City in America™
spectre000
Landmark Center

CHS Field (St. Paul Saints Ballpark)

Postby spectre000 » May 31st, 2012, 10:59 pm

A 7,500 seat ballpark has been proposed by the St. Paul Saints in the Lowertown neighborhood near the Farmer's Market. The $54 million project has strong support from the mayor's office.

Ballpark Fans and Friends

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Saints Lowertown Ballpark

Postby Wedgeguy » June 3rd, 2012, 8:38 pm

I look forward to this ballpark. I think it will be a great catalyst for the area. With the light rail station only a few blocks away fans can ride to the game from Minnapolis and go to the many restraunts before/after the game to enjoy great entertainment.

I remember what this area was like in the 80's and it has slowly come into it's own. The right rail and housing should make this area explode with possiblities.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 5th, 2012, 10:32 am

They're going to have to be careful about the materials they use on this ballpark; depending on the wood they choose and the maintenance they propose for the site, this thing could age really fast and look pretty rough.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 5th, 2012, 3:44 pm

The wood exterior isn't for certain. Saints owners asked the architect to present them a really "out there" design to guage public reaction. For the most part its been pretty positive according to them. A brick exterior would obviously fit in better with the rest of the Lowertown buildings. But the Saints felt brick designs have been done to death.

I heard the Saints ownership are also hesitant about a wood exterior too. I think a metallic exterior would work well. Maybe something like the new Nets facility in the Atlantic Yards. That would work pretty well in Lowertown.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 6th, 2012, 2:42 pm

I'd say some metal, glass, and stone would be very cool design.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » June 6th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Although I'm not a huge fan of "retro" ballparks, I think that that type of design is best for maintaining the aesthetics of Lowertown...

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 7th, 2012, 2:25 am

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blo ... 76495.html
The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development is offering communities across the state a second chance at millions of dollars to fund local projects.

St. Paul wants a new $27 million ballpark for its minor league team. Mankato, Rochester and St. Cloud wanted new civil centers. Regional chambers of commerce wanted a new Southwest rail corridor. All left the Legislature disappointed this year, when their projects were cut from the $496 million bonding bill.

But lawmakers did offer one consolation prize: a $47.5 million pot of capital improvement funds given to the Department of Employment and Economic Development. On Thursday afternoon, DEED opened the application process for the grants.

The newly established Business Development Through Capital Projects grant program will allow communities to compete for grants that would fund up to 50 percent of the cost of their proposed projects. To qualify, the projects have to meet the 11-point eligibility criteria outlined by lawmakers, including requirements that the project be shovel-ready, be capable of drawing out-of-state money and be supported by local government.

The deadline to apply for the grants is 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 26. DEED expets to award the grants in early August.
Looks like any info on bonding bill $$$ will come in early August. Full disclosure, I am a baseball fan, but I like this project mainly because it ties into "ongoing development" in St. Paul...Hope that's not an oxymoron.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 7th, 2012, 5:40 pm

This is a beautiful design. Urbane and sleek. Very contemporary yet it works well with the older buildings of Lowertown. It really takes the architecture of a ballpark to a new level of sophistication. I can't wait to see this built ! Maybe the Vikings should hire these architects to design their new stadium?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 8th, 2012, 8:16 am

Did anyone read the City Pages profile on the Saints owner? Based on that I wouldn't be surprised if a new stadium was pretty non-traditional.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 8th, 2012, 11:15 am

Did anyone read the City Pages profile on the Saints owner? Based on that I wouldn't be surprised if a new stadium was pretty non-traditional.
Which article you were reading, also maybe what comments stood out? I've seen Veeck interviewed, he does come off as a character, but he has managed to keep the team vital.

I assumed he had some significant input into the rendering/model they released to the press. IMHO trying to reuse and incorporate the old Gillette Building into new construction is a little out there.

I still think the biggest hurdle will be funding. With all the other demand for grant dollars from the 2012 $55 million dollar pot, it may be a long shot for now.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 8th, 2012, 12:00 pm

I think that's a proposal by Bill Hosko. That'll never happen. He's rubbed city hall/council wrong too many times.

I think St. Paul will get a piece of the DEED money. The rest they may be able to come up themselves since the Rivercentre debt is getting relieved by the Vikings Stadium bill (at $2.7 m per year).

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 9th, 2012, 12:25 am

I think that's a proposal by Bill Hosko. That'll never happen. He's rubbed city hall/council wrong too many times.

I think St. Paul will get a piece of the DEED money. The rest they may be able to come up themselves since the Rivercentre debt is getting relieved by the Vikings Stadium bill (at $2.7 m per year).
Didn't mean to be perpetuating Hosko's design (There's going to be a Velodrome to right?).
Good point with the Rivercentre debt. Do you know, is there any publicized information as to how the DEED will go about this process? I don't have any real stock in any of the projects applying, I'm just intrigued by the legislatures choice to go this route.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 9th, 2012, 10:01 am

Here is DEED's website with information about the program. The deadline for submissions is June 26th. They expect to award the money in August. http://www.positivelyminnesota.com/Abou ... ogram.aspx.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 9th, 2012, 8:11 pm

2 things:

1: they are building the light rail maintenance station nect to the olf Gillett builing so they can not build the park to the south like they are showing here. THere is NO ROOM. Will be alot of tracks going almost up to the back of the staidium outfield walls.
2:I think Hosko was one of the people trying to push to get a velodrom on top of the maintenence building, But they could not secure funding and the state did not want to start over with bids and design work after that had nearly completed the bid for the federal part of the money propseal. So no also to the Velodrom.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 11th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I didn't mean my post as a knock to Veeck, but that he is well-known for being outside-the-box.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 12th, 2012, 10:30 am

I didn't mean my post as a knock to Veeck, but that he is well-known for being outside-the-box.
True. True.

iampatrick
Block E

Postby iampatrick » July 6th, 2012, 5:45 am

Parking parking parking "This is all I have to say."

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 7th, 2012, 11:13 am

Parking parking parking "This is all I have to say."
LOL. Is this enough for you? And that picture doesn't include two large parking lots (plus a 1000 space public ramp) at the intersection of 7th and Jackson just NE of Mears Park. Plenty of room as well for tailgating.

I think that's more than enough for 7,000 people. Especially since many will utilize buses and the light rail.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 9th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Here is the city's proposal to DEED. Very detailed and informative.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/99641675/City ... tion-Final

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 10th, 2012, 4:31 pm

I hope they could develop on top of the maintenance facility!