Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
robotlollipop
Metrodome

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby robotlollipop » April 19th, 2013, 3:41 am

Please, please, please let the stadium be a more traditional design. I feel this is more intimidating to visiting teams, rather than some abstract, new age design that Minneapolis seems to be known for. It seems ridiculous to spend millions of dollars on something that will look more like we are into art rather than sports.
Is this serious?
Satire... I hope.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » April 19th, 2013, 7:13 am

So, we should stick with the Metrodome then? That'll show'em we really mean business!

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » April 19th, 2013, 7:22 am

It's okay to have an opinion people.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 19th, 2013, 9:40 am

Unless it's one that likes all this 6-story crap we all call 'infill,' right? :)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 19th, 2013, 9:47 am

Please, please, please let the stadium be a more traditional design. I feel this is more intimidating to visiting teams, rather than some abstract, new age design that Minneapolis seems to be known for. It seems ridiculous to spend millions of dollars on something that will look more like we are into art rather than sports.
Because the Colosseum in Rome was Traditional, no, it was a masterpiece of craft, art, and ingenuity of the time, and that's what made it intimidating. Relying on old hat is not intimidating in anyway to me.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » April 19th, 2013, 9:54 am

Unless it's one that likes all this 6-story crap we all call 'infill,' right? :)
Exactly! ;)

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 19th, 2013, 10:07 am

What could be more intimidating than a clear glass roof being pelted with 10-12 inches of snow, on the verge of collapse?

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » April 19th, 2013, 10:11 am

What could be more intimidating than a clear glass roof being pelted with 10-12 inches of snow, on the verge of collapse?
:lol:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 19th, 2013, 10:44 am

HKS did a beautiful job with designing the American Airlines Center arena in Dallas with its art deco facade. It's quite authentic and high quality so it doesn't have that artificial look of block E. If they did something like that for our stadium ( i.e. maybe recalling the Armory) , It could be very attractive.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 19th, 2013, 11:07 am

well they essentially already did that with lucas oil stadium...so no i don't want a knock-off of lucas oil.

Garrett
Block E

Postby Garrett » April 19th, 2013, 11:10 am

^^^ That is beatifully done. I really hope we don't end up with that rendering of a glass wall with something that looks like a pile of marshmallow vomit next to it. I don't want a novelty design that will look tacky since this stadium will be around for decades.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 19th, 2013, 12:03 pm

What I was referring to was the comment about intimidating other teams with a stadium design. This isn't high school or college football and the game is played inside the stadium!

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 19th, 2013, 12:05 pm

If it does end up being a design with a roof made of glass, does anyone know how they would/could keep it clean? And for the snow would they have it heated?

lap99
Block E

Postby lap99 » April 19th, 2013, 1:21 pm

HKS did a beautiful job with designing the American Airlines Center arena in Dallas with its art deco facade. It's quite authentic and high quality so it doesn't have that artificial look of block E. If they did something like that for our stadium ( i.e. maybe recalling the Armory) , It could be very attractive.

This is an amazing design!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 19th, 2013, 1:24 pm

And for the snow would they have it heated?
I would assume that the warmth of the inside would facilitate the melting. The fact that, unlike the Dome, it would be a rigid roof that doesn't deform under heavy snow loads would allow that snow to slide right off once the thin layer of water forms against the roof surface.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 19th, 2013, 1:27 pm

And for the snow would they have it heated?
I would assume that the warmth of the inside would facilitate the melting. The fact that, unlike the Dome, it would be a rigid roof that doesn't deform under heavy snow loads would allow that snow to slide right off once the thin layer of water forms against the roof surface.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 19th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Touché :)

I would assume/hope/pray that they'd think of that issue and put really big gutters around the perimeter to catch, melt, and carry away the snow.

Just realized I'm making a lot of assumptions in these last two posts. Heh
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » April 19th, 2013, 5:01 pm

I've got to assume the engineers would use an appropriate material given the varying slope of the roof. Maybe we can incorporate a retractable roof that functions as a snow cleaner in some fashion (joking)!

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » April 19th, 2013, 6:24 pm

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » April 19th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Ulgh, that looks like Fast Times at Ridgemont High with Godzilla tampons bloating out of it. I'm hoping for something awkwardly Scandinavian modern, as teeth-gnashing as that can be at times.