Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby seanrichardryan » April 17th, 2013, 10:45 pm

http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=203509241&c=y

The highlight- .

“Drivers are leaving a freeway environment and are not expecting pedestrians,” she said. Eventually, walls will be put up to stop people from trying to cross the road."
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » April 18th, 2013, 11:03 am

Mall of America moves ahead with $225M expansion (Updated rendering)

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... nsion.html

Here's a quick overview of what the project will include:
A 347-room luxury hotel.
A three-floor, 150,000-square-foot retail expansion, likely featuring higher-end retailers. It will mostly consist of small shops of 1,000 to 2,000 square feet, with the largest space probably being just 15,000 square feet.
A modern "dining terrace" that will replace the existing food court area, which will make way to create the connection to the new retail wing.
A two-level, 545-space underground parking garage.
A "new, exciting and dynamic 'front door' for MOA" that is designed to be more outward facing than the existing mall orientation.
A three-story Grand Atrium, sky-lit space that will be used for various gatherings and events.
An outdoor plaza area that will sit between this expansion and the future site of Phase II, which is planned for the north side of Lindau Lane next to Ikea.
An extensive exterior graphics display and large LED board facing onto the plaza.
A future 282,000-square-foot office project.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » April 18th, 2013, 2:38 pm

http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=203509241&c=y

The highlight- .

“Drivers are leaving a freeway environment and are not expecting pedestrians,” she said. Eventually, walls will be put up to stop people from trying to cross the road."
Oh god, don't let the people over on the Central Corridor thread hear that... They hate walls and medians.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 18th, 2013, 2:43 pm

They are moving Lindau in the direction of being a road, whereas University is a (big) street. Since streets and roads serve different functions, a pedestrian barrier is appropriate on a road whereas less appropriate on a street.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » April 18th, 2013, 2:56 pm

This new phase is quite interesting... Is it all located on the current taxi stand on the north end of the mall?

Thinking about this road thing... it makes one wonder why direct ramps weren't built from the freeway to the parking garages. That actually sounds like it would have been a good idea.

Shame about the walls on Killebrew. Now the apartment dwellers walking to the transit station will have to walk through the skyway, hotel, and mall.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » April 18th, 2013, 3:02 pm

They are moving Lindau in the direction of being a road, whereas University is a (big) street. Since streets and roads serve different functions, a pedestrian barrier is appropriate on a road whereas less appropriate on a street.
Killebrew** Not Lindau. Lindau is being tunneled with a plaza put over it. Killebrew is the one getting the walls and pedestrian bridge. But yes, Lindau and Killebrew are basically just highway on/off ramps. It was just a joke... But just you wait someone will have a problem with it.

In fact here ya go:
Shame about the walls on Killebrew. Now the apartment dwellers walking to the transit station will have to walk through the skyway, hotel, and mall.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 18th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Well, it's a fair critique. It changes pedestrian access from the public realm (sidewalks) to the private or quasi-public realm (walking through a private facility where security submits files to the FBI on people with videocameras).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 18th, 2013, 4:54 pm

This new phase is quite interesting... Is it all located on the current taxi stand on the north end of the mall?

Thinking about this road thing... it makes one wonder why direct ramps weren't built from the freeway to the parking garages. That actually sounds like it would have been a good idea.

I agree actually, and thought this very thing yesterday! All stadiums for example should have at least one large ramp that enters and exits directly into the parking ramp to avoid congestion on city streets.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » April 19th, 2013, 1:14 am

the ramps werent but directly to the ramp probably because they fill up by 10 am on weekends. I dont drive to work (at the mall) but if i did I would definitely not plan on parking in the ramp

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 19th, 2013, 8:10 am

Oh? Where do you park then?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 19th, 2013, 10:07 am

I agree actually, and thought this very thing yesterday! All stadiums for example should have at least one large ramp that enters and exits directly into the parking ramp to avoid congestion on city streets.
People congesting the streets?? Why not have large ramps quite far from the stadium (or whatever) so that they walk and disperse themselves (and therefore their cars) so the area directly surrounding the stadium isn't congested.

Unless you means a ramp that enters directly to the freeway, kinda like the ramps by Target Center/Field do. Then I'm for it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 19th, 2013, 11:46 am

The Calhoun Stadium proposal included a direct 8-lane link to I-35W.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 21st, 2013, 10:16 am

Calhoun Stadium proposal?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 21st, 2013, 10:37 am

Was thinking the same thing. Do you have a link, Matt? I was looking for some info and couldn't find anything.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 21st, 2013, 12:26 pm

Was at the MOA yesterday, first time ever at a Hooters. First time I've been to the mall in at least 5 years. Visually the atmosphere was very enjoyable but the food was below par.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » April 21st, 2013, 3:45 pm

first time ever at a Hooters [...] Visually the atmosphere was very enjoyable but the food was below par.
I think that's the idea. ;)

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » April 22nd, 2013, 12:07 am

Calhoun Stadium proposal?
Follow the link. I don't want to embed this in the thread. :lol:
http://fuckyeaminnesota.tumblr.com/post ... ering-ever

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 22nd, 2013, 8:03 pm

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 22nd, 2013, 9:48 pm

No light rail station in there, I assume?

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 23rd, 2013, 9:05 am

I don't see why everyone wants the LRT station to move to Lindeau Lane, between the Mall and Mall 2.0. When completed, the mall would be big enough for two stations, one at the current location, and another on the American Boulevard side of the expansion.