Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby seanrichardryan » April 29th, 2013, 7:35 pm

I remember going to the new library design unveiling. was on the top floor of the old federal reserve.
Me too, what a disappointment that was. Hopefully this is actually something to that makes you say Wow!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 29th, 2013, 7:55 pm

More interesting tidbits are seeping out. Among other details, it appears that there may be heavy use of ETFE.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... -olympics/

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 29th, 2013, 9:42 pm

More interesting tidbits are seeping out. Among other details, it appears that there may be heavy use of ETFE.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... -olympics/
I think its quite safe to say this is going to be a very, very, modern and contemporary structure. No faux historical design here! The use of Kasota Stone gives it a Minnesota vernacular and creates a symbiotic relationship with Target Field on the other side of downtown. :D

UMN_12
Block E

Postby UMN_12 » April 29th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Looks like they have have two different retractable roof options that they are still considering. Sounds like its going to have a very modern facade which is exciting. I think the ETFE material could really make this a standout stadium if it's not overdone. From the language in the EIS it sounds like its going to just be an element in the roof design rather than make up the entire roof.

I also love that they are going to have bicycle parking and paths around the stadium. I also hadn't realized how large the plaza area was going to be. Looking at the two plaza orientation options, I hope they go with the east west running option as I think it would interact with downtown a lot better.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » April 29th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Does anyone know if the field is expected to be below ground level?
From a report in the EIS dated Feb. 25th, 2013:
The new Stadium will have an approximate footprint of 750 feet by 850 feet... Most of the new structure will be founded below the Event Level elevation of 797'. This is slightly above the current Metrodome event level elevation of 795', although much of the new Event Level will be cut into current grades outside of the Metrodome event level footprint. This new level will be roughly 35 feet to 50 feet below surrounding street grades..."
This particular info is on page 83 of the EIS Final Merged PDF:
http://www.msfa.com/content/DRAFT%20ENV ... CUMENT.pdf

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 30th, 2013, 7:41 am

The test boring logs listed in the document are completely fascinating. Roughly 50ft to the limestone in this area, I think that is a good indication of maximum depth below street grade the structure could go.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 30th, 2013, 7:46 am

Also, did the city/county give approval to block chicago ave?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » April 30th, 2013, 7:55 am

http://www.msfa.com/content/DRAFT%20ENV ... CUMENT.pdf

Deep in the EIS document (towards the very end of the doc), there are some maps of the proposed stadium site. As was mentioned above, the plaza proposal does look large. Too large, in my opinion, if you're worried about potential dead zones surrounding the stadium. Some of the proposed parking facilities overlap with their proposed plaza areas, so are they planning to do more underground garages, similar to the downtown east parking garage?

Also, I couldn't help but notice that they are proposing to permanently close the westbound, one-way segment of 5th St S that borders the south side of the stadium site. I'll be interested to see what the final road plan is.

Also, look out, skyway haters, looks like there will be multiple skyways (and a tunnel) entering the stadium from parking ramps.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 30th, 2013, 8:00 am

thank you for posting that link. these next two weeks are like the night before christmas for a construction geek.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 30th, 2013, 8:17 am

Interesting little tid bit on the design:
As discussed in Section 3.12, the height and massing of the Proposed Project would be larger than
the height and massing of the Metrodome. The Proposed Project will be surrounded by existing
multi-story buildings as the Metrodome is today. The proposed materials and design for the
Proposed Project’s new Stadium is a departure from the existing billowed, cushion roof and concrete
bowl of the Metrodome. However, the primary proposed materials (steel and glass) would provide a
greater visual connection from the surrounding area to the new Stadium (and from the new Stadium
to the surrounding area) and would respond to the design guidelines in the Downtown East/North
Loop Master Plan that seek greater connectivity between “a single enormous structure and a series
of finer-grain neighborhoods that surround it.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » April 30th, 2013, 8:53 am

I feel like these two "leaks" including the semi-translucent material and the height both point to a possible similar design as the one HKS proposed that almost looks like a swooping tent. We can really only go off the couple initial renderings they proposed but to me it sounds like they may be going with a design based off that.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 30th, 2013, 9:16 am

Have you seen the new Vikings uniforms? Could the shoulder striping be a hint at the new stadium design? This could be possibly a side view. It reminds me of one of the renderings.

Pic of striping for reference:
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/phot ... a3a7567a99

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 30th, 2013, 9:22 am

thank you for posting that link. these next two weeks are like the night before christmas for a construction geek.
lol. Exactly!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 30th, 2013, 9:40 am

Have you seen the new Vikings uniforms? Could the shoulder striping be a hint at the new stadium design? This could be possibly a side view. It reminds me of one of the renderings.

Pic of striping for reference:
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/phot ... a3a7567a99
They COULD be, but I remember seeing in an article that those shoulder stripes were specifically designed that way to mimic the bow of a Vikings ship.....regardless of whether the new stadium will also resemble parts of a Vikings ship.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 30th, 2013, 10:34 am

More details. They haven't ruled out implosion for the Metrodome. And as expected, it looks like demolition is likely for the Star Tribune building.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... s-stadium/

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 30th, 2013, 10:39 am

blow it up...blow it up real good.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 30th, 2013, 10:58 am

Deep in the EIS document (towards the very end of the doc), there are some maps of the proposed stadium site. As was mentioned above, the plaza proposal does look large. Too large, in my opinion, if you're worried about potential dead zones surrounding the stadium. Some of the proposed parking facilities overlap with their proposed plaza areas, so are they planning to do more underground garages, similar to the downtown east parking garage?
They are showing multiple alternatives on the same map, so not all of it will get built. For example, parking plan B (which is vomit-inducing) and the N/S plaza configuration are incompatible.
Towns!

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 30th, 2013, 11:10 am

More details. They haven't ruled out implosion for the Metrodome. And as expected, it looks like demolition is likely for the Star Tribune building.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... s-stadium/
Wouldn't the demolition of the Strib building be dependent on whether Ryan/Wells/Strib strike a deal? Or was this block going to be a park/plaza either way?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 30th, 2013, 11:15 am

blow it up...blow it up real good.
I remember when Favre was a Packer and he hadn't yet won a game in the Metrodome he said he wanted to be there to pull the trigger (or whatever you pull) to demolish the Dome.......I wonder if he'll be there if they do?!

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » April 30th, 2013, 1:53 pm

I feel like these two "leaks" including the semi-translucent material and the height both point to a possible similar design as the one HKS proposed that almost looks like a swooping tent. We can really only go off the couple initial renderings they proposed but to me it sounds like they may be going with a design based off that.
That's the feeling I was getting as I read through. Especially with:
■ South building elevation: approximately 190 feet
■ North building elevation: approximately 205 feet
■ East building elevation: approximately 205 feet
West building elevation: approximately 290 feet
Although Michele Kelm-Helgen did say the final design would be different that the two initial renders, it might be a good bet that the design headed somewhat in the direction of the "swooping tent." <<---(Got a trademark on that? :) )