Minneapolis Armory

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Minneapolis Armory

Postby John » January 17th, 2013, 10:44 am

I always thought it would be a good movie/tv/music production studio space.
I think that could be another good use of the building. There are so many possibilities for this building. I think we'll see some redevelopment of it as other projects around it materialize.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 17th, 2013, 12:30 pm

It could be a cool privately run Driving Range and mini golf course ;) Only half joking.

Jez
Block E

Postby Jez » January 17th, 2013, 12:44 pm

It need to be a year round farmers market like St Lawrance Market in Toronto (I think that was it's name). Visiting that market was such an ispirational experience, it wasn't only fresh produce, but great pantry items and rare foodie finds, places you could grab a bite and sit and eat or just wonder around and get ideas. Now I know we already have Midtown Market, I think this should have a more funky, foodie downtown vibe etc. Just a thought.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » January 17th, 2013, 12:47 pm

For anyone who has ever been to Columbus, Ohio, there is another very successful year-round market called the North Market. I think something like that would flourish in minneapolis. Especially as the population downtown increases and the proximity to the light rail line

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 17th, 2013, 12:51 pm

I still think it would be awesome to glass out the ceiling before doing any of these things... to bad that's not historic :/

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 17th, 2013, 1:31 pm

For anyone who has ever been to Columbus, Ohio, there is another very successful year-round market called the North Market.
The Armory is about three times the size of North Market. French Market in New Orleans may be closer to the area of the Armory, but then they get just a bit more tourists than the Twin Cities. What I'm trying to say is that a market would be a great use for about a third of the building - what do you do with the rest?
"Who rescued whom!"

the other scott
City Center

Postby the other scott » January 17th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Something about what you just said sparked an idea......what if Minneapolis created some kind of formal gathering place, like a market, where people could network with one-another and exchange ideas and maybe even coffee -- in person? A "marketplace of the mind", if you will. It would be person-to-person and business-centric, but open to anyone who wants to be a part of it in the same way other markets are, and instead of exchanging goods and services people could exchange ideas, network, listen to speakers, etc. It could be industry-specific (like technology), or non-specific so as to truly be a "marketplace".

Obviously the idea is vague and not inspiring on its own, but it could be developed into something great by someone who is more imaginative than I! Plus, I think it'd be a first.
You mean like this?

http://cocomsp.com/

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 17th, 2013, 3:18 pm

As far as the Armory goes, they should really move the summer Minneapolis Farmer's Market there in addition to making it year round. Also , they could have an food coop Annex like The Wedge etc, there as part of the marketplace. I could also see some "farm to table" restaurants locating there. I agree with Redisciple that it probably would need a couple other uses going on , in addition to a marketplace. Fotoapparatic, you mentioned the indoor golf course. I actually think that was an idea that floated around years back ( probably before you were born ...lol)

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » January 17th, 2013, 3:54 pm

I've heard the idea to locate the city's farmer's market there, but do you think would it have enough space inside? If so, that would be fantastic, and a great way to really transform the street life in this part of town. I can't imagine it would be that expensive to bring it up to speed for that use, and would probably be hugely popular.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 17th, 2013, 4:08 pm

I think it should have a size of a market that can sustain itself nearly every day of the year. Then maybe it could use a new park to the north (proposed) or south (Thrivent parking lot) for bigger farmers market days in the summer.

I like the thought of other uses mixing in the building... coop, etc. Of course, with my fantasy Market Street-style double level tunnel dream (LRT spine above and commuter/regional rail spine below) this site would be a great place for a downtown east station connecting to the underground heavy rail concourse :) http://goo.gl/maps/mLasJ

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » May 14th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Since my idea for The Armory to be transformed into a Center Court tennis stadium failed to garner much traction, I now think the building would make an ideal central location for the proposed LA Fitness' flagship workout and lifestyle facility (formerly Bally's & US Swim & Fitness). Once the Wells Fargo development is completed, the workout facility would be steps from "The Yard," immediately accessible to thousands of new residents and workers accessible to LRT riders.

The Armory would have ample space in which to build an olympic-size swimming pool, hot tubs, steam rooms, locker rooms, indoor basketball, racket ball facilities, cardio, Nautilus, free-weights, spinning, yoga and step classes. There should also be plenty of room for juice bars, private training areas, tanning and office space. Build this in the heart of the city and keep it open around the clock and it will attract tremendous following.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 14th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I am hoping that we hear about more of a rehab into market. Year round Farmers Market, food trucks, etc. THAT would be a great addition to the new development announced today.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » May 14th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Agree. As has been repeated ad nauseam on this site and elsewhere, the Armory would make a great urban market a la Reading Terminal in Philadelphia.

Of course there is a concern about competing with Midtown Global Market, but in my experience Midtown is typically frequented by residents of the surrounding area and employee in and around the Midtown building. If that is indeed the case, the Armory Market's clientele could be made up of downtown office dwellers, downtown residents, and tourists. For that to happen, there would likely need to be more office/residential/hotel development in this area, but I think we are seeing the early stages of that occurring now.

Minneapolis is quickly becoming a quasi-destination for foodies, and the Armory Market would only add to that.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 14th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » May 14th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Can we get those artillery cannons back as part of the restoration. :)

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 14th, 2013, 10:18 pm

It would be great if the armory's roof could be replaced with glass, or that material they are using on the roof of the new Vikings Stadium.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 15th, 2013, 5:02 am

^Like that idea

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 15th, 2013, 6:05 am

^Like it too. Big buildings like this are often VERY dark on the inside... think Williams Arena, the Colisseum at the fairgrounds, etc. Artificial light can only do so much top open places like this up and at least a partial glass roof would really make it feel bright and airy.

I also like Matt's idea of linking this as a double layer rail station serving commuter and light rails... put the market we all want on the main level and people coming out for work or going home can grab some food or wares on their way.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 15th, 2013, 8:16 am

I figured it would be at least 25 years under ideal conditions before we decided to tunnel Blue/Green, and at that time the marginal cost to create a double-level tunnel for heavy/commuter rail would not be that much more. I wish we had the vision now so at least we could make our current investments with that future in mind. The biggest challenges would be the portals, namely connecting to the existing LRT tails on the east end (would LRT go below grade east or west of DTE station?) Also, connecting NP #9 bridge to the lower level of the tunnel for heavy rail, which would be much easier to do below grade before the entire neighborhood develops.

WRT a station at the Armory, that's actually a good idea for commuter/intercity rail if we ever get there with a system of interlined services that connect both downtowns. These platforms would likely be long and go between DTE and Gov't Center station with the heavy rail station connecting to both LRT stations, which would actually allow for vertical circulation at the armory.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » May 15th, 2013, 8:33 am

Has anyone ever checked out Eataly in NYC? Something on that end would be great here.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_ ... 9gTtuoG4Dw