Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
TWA
Nicollet Mall

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby TWA » May 14th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Edit: I see you flipped it around. I thought I was going crazy because I've always known the north facing side to be the cold side. Many plants didn't live very long in my north facing apartment.
Ya for a second I just assumed that was the only possible reason why they wouldn't make the whole thing clear... then I actually thought about it... I hope HKS wasn't just using a sun model for some southern hemisphere stadium and forgot to reverse it :-)

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » May 14th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Edit: I see you flipped it around. I thought I was going crazy because I've always known the north facing side to be the cold side. Many plants didn't live very long in my north facing apartment.
Ya for a second I just assumed that was the only possible reason why they wouldn't make the whole thing clear... then I actually thought about it... I hope HKS wasn't just using a sun model for some southern hemisphere stadium and forgot to reverse it :-)
We're at 45 degrees north, city houses here are offset to the north side of their property with big windows to the south and small windows to the north precisely because all the sun is in the southern sky. Unless they're north-corner lot houses (an interesting exception), small city houses typically have their stairway and bathroom on the north side, to maximize living room and dining room sun on the south side of the house.

I'm not picking on any specific person, but generally observing that we as a society spend *FAR* too much time inside if people don't instinctively, automatically understand that the sun is in the south at midday in Minnesota - quite a bit so in the winter, less extremely so in the summer but still noticeably so. They're trying to *maximize* sunlight by putting all the windows to the south, this being a cold, northern climate, just as Scandinavian and Scandinavian-American architects have done on both sides of the Atlantic for centuries.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 14th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Right. But what, beyond expense, is the issue with putting big windows facing north as well? Heat loss from poorer insulation? I'd think, in this building, the concern will be more keeping it cool rather than making sure it's warm enough.
Towns!

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » May 14th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Right. But what, beyond expense, is the issue with putting big windows facing north as well? Heat loss from poorer insulation? I'd think, in this building, the concern will be more keeping it cool rather than making sure it's warm enough.
Actually, I doubt that's true - remember it has to be heated for the entirety of winter, maybe not to 60 degrees but enough to keep it well above freezing - say 50 degrees or more. On game days, when people show up it has to be warm enough that they're not freezing. Sure, in three hours during a game the air conditioners will have to run like mad, but that's 30 hours per season, compared to a couple thousand hours of time that it needs to be heated. And I'm pretty sure crowds for college baseball games and other community uses wouldn't even be able to raise the temperature in there by 5 degrees - it's a huge building, so unless the stadium is packed with people they'll be heating it during its primary use months.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » May 14th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Oh those countless poor birds that will meet their demise flying into the West entrance. :o

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » May 14th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Say what? North facing rooms get the least sun and are cooler and is the reason why moss grows on the north side of the trees.
Well at least now I will know which way is North if (when) I get lost in the woods.

mark
Block E

Postby mark » May 14th, 2013, 8:05 pm

My concern is that there seems to be any number of mechanisms to have an entirely transparent roof, but increase its opaqueness when necessary (it wouldn't be during the Vikes' regular season). 3M is a world leader in optical film, we have all these window companies... if there's any place that could do this, it seems it would be here. I just think it's a bummer.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2013, 8:09 pm

I wonder if they've considered shading/light on the field with this design--I think I brought up a few months ago that when you watch the Colts play at Lucas Oil Field, the stuff in front of all the windows casts huge shadows all over the field, and it's pretty distracting to watch. On TV, at least. Probably isn't a big deal when you're actually playing, or perhaps while watching and not being as picky as I am, but I've noticed it a couple times.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

garfield
City Center

Postby garfield » May 14th, 2013, 10:01 pm

I know they plan on using the stadium for many other things (it is the "People's Stadium," after all)...but since there are so many windows, and the roof is even partially glass, might the field be real grass? That would be pretty cool - an indoor stadium with natural turf!

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 15th, 2013, 7:22 am

Grass would indeed be cool, but I'm guessing they'll opt for the more durable and economical fake turf. Then again, they're trying to lure an MLS team, and MLS prefers grass.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 15th, 2013, 7:57 am

University of Phoenix Stadium has real grass field that rolls out. If I recall correctly they are having lots of issues of it dying and being in very poor quality. I don't think we're quite there yet with the field technology to do real grass indoors.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 15th, 2013, 9:25 am

zamboni
Block E

Postby zamboni » May 15th, 2013, 10:38 am

(Excuse my inability to figure out how to post a picture on tablet) Taking a look at the photo looking south into the infield of the baseball rendering. I feel as though it looks like the main support beam and video screen could be blocking views. I know we would think that this mistake wouldn't continue to be made however the miami baseball stadium proved that wrong. anyone else notice or can assure us that this won't be a problem?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 15th, 2013, 11:17 am

It's not like HKS has ever had a problem with partial view sets. Oh, wait...

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 15th, 2013, 11:29 am

Phillip Koski: "As a long-time resident, I'm excited to get a stadium that is as progressive and forward-looking as the creative professionals who live and work here. It will help erase the soon-to-be bad memories of the Metrodome and its bunkerlike, lumbering presence."

Yes because the new stadium, while progressive/angular/glassy/etc, doesn't look like a giant bunker with big blank walls facing 3 of its 4 sides.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » May 15th, 2013, 11:33 am

Regarding the potential for shadows on the field -
The Indianapolis and Houston stadiums have issues because the field isn't lit evenly - there are patches of very bright sun and very dark shadow that are very close to one another. TV cameras can't adjust to it, therefore its difficult to watch. I'm not sure if its as hard to watch in person as it is on TV.

I think that this stadium won't have that problem because the solid roof will not cast a shadow on the field, except for very early and very late in the day during summer. There won't be football games going on then, anyway. It seems like the field will be lit very evenly and brightly during fall and winter days, so hopefully it will read well on TV.

Regarding the design -
I think it is the most unique football stadium I've seen in the last 20 years. I'm glad we didn't go for a Lucas OIl Field clone. It will be interesting to see how some of these details turn out in real life, but I think we'll have a worthwhile companion to Target Field.

I still hate the funding mechanism though.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 15th, 2013, 2:37 pm

There are mentions that the roof ETFE will be fritted. That will diffuse a lot of the light and reduce the shadowing from the supporting ribs. Plus, with ETFE being 1/100th the weight of comparable glass, the support structure can be less bulky.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » May 15th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Looks like this made the yahoo news feed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 26320.html

Hope you like Sandcrawlers :D

Also the look is growing on me.

MumfordMoses
City Center

Postby MumfordMoses » May 15th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Phillip Koski: "As a long-time resident, I'm excited to get a stadium that is as progressive and forward-looking as the creative professionals who live and work here. It will help erase the soon-to-be bad memories of the Metrodome and its bunkerlike, lumbering presence."

Yes because the new stadium, while progressive/angular/glassy/etc, doesn't look like a giant bunker with big blank walls facing 3 of its 4 sides.

Is this you talking? The openings on the new stadium far eclipse the Dome. Sunlight pierces through all four sides & the south & west sides have plenty of transparency. Hard to please & cranky, typical Minnesotan.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 15th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Is this you talking? The openings on the new stadium far eclipse the Dome. Sunlight pierces through all four sides & the south & west sides have plenty of transparency. Hard to please & cranky, typical Minnesotan.
It is certainly better than the Dome, but that's setting the bar pretty damn low. The Dome was a Bunker: Class "Impenetrable Fortress" while this new design is Bunker: Class "Not well designed to handle bunker busters on the west side."

Yes, sunlight pours in the glass wall on the west side, and half the roof is translucent (but you can't see that from the street level). But to say sunlight pierces though all four sides because along the TOP there is a ribbon of glass allowing sunlight in while 80% of the facade on 3 sides is a single, non-transparent material doesn't mean it isn't bunker-like. That's my position. I never said the design wasn't bold or didn't fit in with some local architectural vernacular. I like the glass wall and translucent ceiling. But it is notably more bunker like than many other stadium designs IMO.