Happy Hour!

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Re: Happy Hour!

Postby kellonathan » June 1st, 2013, 1:26 am

Had a lot of fun last Thursday! Thanks for organizing the event and the trivia Nick!
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 7th, 2013, 3:00 pm

HH after the next Minneapolis Planning Commission meeting?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 11th, 2013, 5:00 pm

HH after the next Minneapolis Planning Commission meeting?
Does anyone else want to commit to attending the Planning Commission meeting Monday June 24 to speak in favor of this development? If you've posted in this thread, you should definitely show up. The Planning Commission and City Council need to know that there is some support for this. If we don't show up, the SaveDinkytown folks will be the only voices in the room. People generally don't show up for things they are in favor of, so the conversation is easily dominated by the opposition (who think they have something to "lose").
I'll do my best to be there. I've got a bunch of house projects I'm trying to nail out in the 4 weeks between classes, so if I can't I will be emailing the commission my support.
Meetings are at 4:30, and I'm going to try and be there.
I put it on my calendar and will try to make it. Happy hour afterwards might also be a good idea.
Already planning on it. Not sure I am the prime candidate since I am not the most vocal person out there, but I will show my support and try to speak up.
So is this a thing? It would be kind of cool to have a rolling appointment for each CPC meeting, though we'd need to make sure to not end up as the people who show up at every meeting and cause a stink.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 12th, 2013, 7:19 am

though we'd need to make sure to not end up as the people who show up at every meeting and cause a stink.
Curious why you're worried about this. It's the people who make a stink that generally get what they want.

I think in general we are far too worried about pleasing people, not rocking the boat, wanting to be perceived as "reasonable," etc. It's the unreasonable people that make change.

As Frederick Douglass said, "Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 12th, 2013, 9:21 am

I can't do happy hour or even stay for the whole meeting, but I plan to be there from 4:30 to ~6:15 (and then, sadly, go to another city's planning commission meeting...but I get paid for that one)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 12th, 2013, 3:04 pm

I have a request for that afternoon off, so hopefully I can be there.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 12th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Nick, I say make a Facebook event out of it and invite all fellow urbanists to show up in support of the project!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 12th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Maybe ask the MUPA folks to create the event so it isn't directly tied to UrbanMSP

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 18th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Next happy location Alternatives Analysis (not incl. the Planning Commission next Mon.):

Recent HH were in:
Lyn-Lake (moto-i) in May 2013
Lowertown (Bulldog) in Feb. 2013
Powderhorn (Northbound Smokehouse) in Dec. 2012
RePUBlic (West Bank) in Fall 2012
and maybe there was one in NE that I missed...
Plus Bill & Nate from Streets.MN organized that great bike ride brewery tour not long ago, which mostly occurred in NE.

Since we're always trying to spread the love around the Twin Cities, where should we go next time?

It is summer, I feel like we could include an extra recreational/educational element to the next official happy hour. Biking the future SWLRT out to Hopkins too far / too boring? Maybe too hard to do on our typical 5pm weekday HH time slot. What about something on the Green Line in Saint Paul? Are there any legit bars within walking distance of University Avenue between the U and the Midway? I mean, Turf Club is great for live music, but I would never want to see that place in any amount of daylight, and they don't have any food. Everyone always brings up Dubliner Pub at University & Cretin, but I'm pretty sure 0 people have actually been there to report what it's like.

Could Stadium Village be tolerable since it's summer? A last hurrah at Sally's before they close for construction? Stub & Herbs?

Tailgate the parking lots that will be "lost" to the Dinkytown Opus development?

Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness posting. I've had a lot of caffeine today and clearly have beer and a bacon cheeseburger on the brain.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 18th, 2013, 1:18 pm

dubliner is good but not a patio. best kind of dive. otherwise there are great neighborhood places in St. Paul... Blue Door (new one in longfellow too), Groveland Tap, Nook, etc.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 18th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Something on campus would certainly seem appropriate since there's all this development going on around here.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 18th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I know there are none near the U right now, but how about one of the new tap rooms? 612, Dangerous Man, Harriet, Flat Earth, even Summit would be fun!

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 19th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Tap rooms tend to be packed (remember Northbound even on a weeknight?) and 612 was too 1st Ave/Dinkytown-y with top 40 stuff and old guys holding on to their frat boy days.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 25th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Does anyone have any interest in doing a south suburban happy hour to use the new bus service? Or is that too much of an ordeal for what would basically be a huge exercise in urban hipster irony?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 25th, 2013, 5:50 pm

While I do want to ride the Red line, unironically, I have to side with the latter. I suspect a bunch of folks would just drive there, kinda taking the fun out of it.

It seems we have the best turnout when we do something centrally located. I like the idea of branching out into different neighborhoods though. Mattaudio recently pointed out that a bunch of posters live in the greater Nokomis area.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 25th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Now that I know you're not all scary people I'll probably make the next one. Someone earlier suggested campus before Sally's closes, which would be nice (as that's where I am) but anything I can easily get to via transit works for me.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm

I posted a picture of our last one, and while we could technically all be concealing/carrying, is that not the nerdiest group you've ever seen?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7694_n.jpg
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 26th, 2013, 9:09 am

Based on the photo, if you're concealing anything, it's 12 sided dice.

Cyclotron
City Center

Postby Cyclotron » June 26th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Dude, sometimes you just make my day.
The greatest danger of bombs is in the explosion of stupidity that they provoke. - Octave Mirbeau

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 27th, 2013, 9:14 am

I second Bill Lindeke's nomination of the Gopher Bar in St. Paul as our next HH location.