Minneapolis City Planning Commission (meetings, agenda items, members, etc.)

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
go4guy
Foshay Tower

Re: MPLS Planning Commission meetings

Postby go4guy » June 24th, 2013, 8:51 pm

I was going to when you guys mentioned the forum, but then a girl sat in between us and I didnt want to be talking around her. My bad. Very entertaining first planning commission meeting.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 24th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Bummed I couldn't make it, but I had my own Planning Commission meeting to attend for work. I'm super proud of everyone from the forum that showed up this afternoon to testify or just witness your first planning commission meeting. At my own meeting tonight, I was presenting items for the first time. I was never a strong public speaker and there was detectable nervousness/parched-ness in my voice, but I got through it.

And just to expound on this afternoon's events: the Opus Dinkytown project decision will be appealed, without a doubt. The Save Dinkytown folks certainly have the cash and the gumption to do so. Email your councilmember folks, especially if they are on the Z&P Committee or if they are Diane Hofstede.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 24th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Since his position on the project has been a topic of discussion, I'll mention that Councilmember Schiff, who had a cameo in the Save Dinkytown video, gave a very well reasoned and supportive argument for the project.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 24th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Diane came in towards the end of the meeting. Also Gary spoke in support of the development which actually surprised me.

Also, the guy running the meeting seemed to be pretty tired of the Save Dinkytown people, they had a carefully prepared line of six speakers, but they all went over their 2 minutes.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 25th, 2013, 6:06 am

Also this was the first time I'd met anyone from the forums and nobody was scary or murdery at all.
^This.

I was also surprised, but happy at Schiff's support. I'm guessing his Save Dinkytown appearance was mostly to curry support before the convention.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 25th, 2013, 6:09 am

Is it normal for council members to just up and leave in the middle of one of these? Especially right before an important vote like this one? I thought that was pretty rude of them. Especially Cohen, who seemed like he could give two sh!ts about the meetings.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 25th, 2013, 7:27 am

I was cracking up when Cohen was sulking in his seat talking on his cell phone at the beginning of the meeting.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 25th, 2013, 10:48 am

Work ran long for me and I'm a 30 minute drive from downtown.. bummed I couldn't make it last night. I emailed the Z&P folks in support.. Hopefully an appeal will not gain much traction...

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » June 25th, 2013, 3:01 pm

I got there when the speakers from save the dinkytown people just started speaking. Sat right next to the door and a trash can, but boy, it was such a lovely meeting room. I had to leave right after the meeting so I couldn't say hi to anyone last night, but it was nice 'meeting' you guys last night!

We should make something like a nametag or something with urbanmsp logo on it just in case of events like this.
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 25th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Sounds like Cohen needs to go. I'm pretty sure he was the one throwing fits over conflicts of interest because some PC members have ties to companies whose projects come before the PC. He was trying to argue that they should have to recuse themselves from the entire meeting rather than just the particular agenda item their employer was presenting, or something crazy like that. He just sounds like an old grouch. Hennepin County should find a better representative when his term is up.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 26th, 2013, 9:18 am

Cohen’s vanity campaign for mayor aside, I tend to agree with him about many of his concerns regarding the planning commission. The technical definition of conflict of interest is very limited, but it can be downright awkward the way some of these projects are handled. I don’t think anything illegal is going on, but the optics of it are terrible. If your firm has projects coming before the planning commission on a monthly basis, maybe you shouldn't be on the planning commission.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 30th, 2013, 7:39 am

The Committee of the Whole had a full slate yesterday! Just as a refresher for folks, the CoW is the entire P.C. body, but it meets ahead of the actual P.C. meeting to discuss the projects with developers and staff to get more information ahead of the actual public hearing and vote.

At yesterday's P.C. CoW meeting, they discussed the following high-profile projects:

301 Washington (Alatus' 13 story apt. building)
4th St SE Mixed-Use (Doran's Dinkytown development)
Surly Brewery
Ryan Co's Star Tribune lots project

The likelyhood is that not all four of these will be discussed and voted on at the next P.C. meeting, but spread out over the next few meetings. It should be a fun ride though! Click the link above for renderings & site plans of the four projects mentioned.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 30th, 2013, 8:46 am

So it looks like these meetings aren't recorded? I'm guessing they're also not open to the public?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 30th, 2013, 10:31 am

They are open to the public, as all municipal government meetings are, with some exceptions for certain legal and labor issues, I think. In practice the Planning Commission CoW meetings may be kind of hard to find as they seem to be moved around a bit. As you note, though, they are not recorded and broadcast on 79.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 11th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Agenda posted for Monday, Sept. 16: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-114080

Items include:

Crooked Pint Ale House (4000 Lyndale) requesting a variance for 0 off-street parking spaces,

Loring Park Small Area Plan approval (limiting heights in most places to 6 stories, and 10 stories in others...utterly ridiculous)

Alatus 13-story apartment building (301 Washington), and

The Cameron apartment conversion (current long-vacant building at 765 N 4th St). I am especially wary of the proposed parking lot for this apartment building obstructing the future connection of 8th Ave N. They are also requesting a variance to increase an off-street parking lot in this area from the 20-space maximum to 33 spaces.

I kind of want to attend for that last item. I don't think I can make it in time for the beginning, but folks should definitely show up to support Crooked Pint's parking variance request. You can bet that the naysayers will be in the house.

EDIT: I also want to add that decisions of the Planning Commission are final, except for certain things like re-zoning, and vacating of public ROW. Decisions like variances, site plans, and conditional use permits, are final, unless appealed. The appeal then goes to the Z&P Committee of the City Council (Schiff, Tuthill, et al). All of the items listed above would be final decisions, so your attendance at the meeting is potentially more important than contacting your councilmember. In the case of concerns about the 8th Ave N connection, it probably wouldn't hurt to contact the city planner [email protected], as well as the councilperson (Don Samuels).
Last edited by twincitizen on September 16th, 2013, 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 11th, 2013, 1:35 pm

So no Doran it looks like here.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 13th, 2013, 9:33 am

I will be speaking on "The Cameron" item. I've got selected portions of the North Loop Small Area Plan (approved in 2010) printed out, which clearly states:

A. that the 8th Ave N connection is a priority to be implemented in 0-5 years
B. that new surface parking lots shall be discouraged.

I am not really comfortable speaking on Loring Park since I do not live there and do not plan to live there. Some of you guys should though.

I might say something brief in support of Crooked Pint, just to provide a little counter balance to the NIMBY/anti- crowd, but I won't go overboard.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 16th, 2013, 10:46 am

Just bumping this to the top. I know it's no Opus Dinkytown moment, but there are a few items tonight that could use an anti-NIMBY rebuttal.

I'll be able to attend the whole meeting now. Anyone else planning to attend?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 18th, 2013, 4:53 pm

No place better to post this, but I'm watching the Nov 12 Planning Commission meeting:
http://v.qwikcast.tv/view.aspx?q=11V8R

Currently arguing about 12 or 7 or 3 spaces, it sounds like code requires 12 but they only want to build 7, so most people are advocating for 7, but a few want 3, and then an Eastern European guy who says he plans on buying the building just comes up and says basically "what the hell are we doing it's 4 parking spaces we're arguing about just build the damn parking" which I thought was pretty funny compared to the calm statements of everyone at one of these ever.

E: around the 74 minute mark. This meeting is an epic 213 minutes long.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 18th, 2013, 6:25 pm

What exactly was that topic about (if you don't mind summarizing)? I watched a little bit of that meeting too, but couldn't ascertain exactly what they were proposing to do. Something about rehabilitating an old mansion?