Hines Speculative Office Project - 350 N 5th Street

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hines Office Project - (350 North Fifth Street)

Postby woofner » November 14th, 2012, 2:43 pm

I wonder if it would be possible/feasible to get Dock Street to connect up to 5th Street somehow, or if the grades would be too much. Having it end in a cul-de-sac is disappointing. It also occurs to me that Dock Street (the name and idea) is a completely developer driven thing at this point -- does it eventually become a city owned street? If so, are we OK with the name "Dock Street", or do we prefer something more coldly rational, like 4th Avenue North?
I'd guess it's possible in terms of the ramping space required - the 3rd/4th St viaducts are tall enough here that you could theoretically start the incline at the vacated 3rd St. I think the bigger complications are the need to maintain access to the loading docks in the rear of the buildings along 3rd Ave, and the fact that the Cut itself is considered a contributing feature to the Warehouse District historic district - once you fill it with buildings and a street that ramps up to 5th St, what do you have left of the historic grade separation?

I guess I assumed that Dock St would remain private, but as long as you asked about the name, I prefer Dakota St:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 082469.pdf
"Who rescued whom!"

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » February 19th, 2013, 10:20 am

Found it! With the last post coming in November, any reason why there is no interest in this project around here?

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » February 19th, 2013, 10:56 am

I haven't seen anything in the news about this one since then. Loved the design, and really hope to see it happen. There's been a recent change in leadership at the National Marrow Donor Program, which was rumored to be the anchor tenant of this.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 20th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Yeah, Pickard-Chilton isn't having much luck in the Twin Cities. They were going to be the architect for the Ryan supertall on the TCF site, no?

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » February 20th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Yeah, Pickard-Chilton isn't having much luck in the Twin Cities. They were going to be the architect for the Ryan supertall on the TCF site, no?
And didn't they have some of the office space that was proposed as part of Bloomington Central Station?

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » February 20th, 2013, 6:08 pm

It just seems to me with the height and possibility it might be discussed more on the site or more news would have surfaced by now. It still is listed as a project on their website.

Scott16475
City Center

Postby Scott16475 » June 27th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Any news on this project? I would love to see this one completed. There was also a proposed highrise residential apartment that seems to have disappeared. I can't remember the name or address but I think it was 1010 Nicollet or something like that. I haven't heard about either of these projects in several months. That's probably not good news, huh?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 19th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Is this what they are calling building #3 in the Dock Street Apartments thread? I see someone just posted a rendering over there that looks like this one.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 19th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Is this what they are calling building #3 in the Dock Street Apartments thread? I see someone just posted a rendering over there that looks like this one.
That's my question too. The Hines office project proposal was actually two buildings with the second tower undefined as far as use. I'm wondering if that was an early conceptual idea for the residential tower because its 25 stories in the rendering. Intriguing.
Also, I'm thinking office project proposal is still alive , however, they are still looking for a lead tenant which could take awhile. With all that is going on around this site, this property just becomes more and more desirable for major development. I don't think a powerhouse developer like Hines will play small potatoes here.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » October 19th, 2013, 3:21 pm

I don't believe it is the same, this one was proposed for the southeast side of the freeway viaduct. Also why is being called dock street building #3? There's only 1 dock street bldg right now?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 20th, 2013, 5:03 pm

ok, so this office project is completely separate from the dock street residential projects... the residential project was supposed to be three buildings but they nixed the 2nd building that was going to be attached to deja vu. This office project was one office building with an option for a taller phase 2 with no sspecified purpose yet.