Motiv Apartments - 2320 Colfax Avenue S

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: 2316-2320 Colfax Apartments

Postby David Greene » June 6th, 2013, 12:48 pm

I don't know what Bennet property you're referring to.
Where Elan is going. There's a whole big parking lot immediately south of 28th that apparently isn't going to have anything on it. I think there are proposals for future development, but nothing now.

And I apologize for misinterpreting your message. It's difficult to convey nuance in internet chat. :)

I understand where you're coming from. But I just don't accept that keeping some SFHs in the area is somehow locking people out of living there.

If a 13 story tower on Hennepin isn't financially feasible, build an 8 story apartment. Whatever works. If a 5 story apartment on a couple of current SFH lots is financially workable while a larger building on Hennepin is not, I really wonder why that would be so. Every developer I've ever talked to wants to go higher.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 6th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Not everybody can have a SFH house in that neighborhood, I'd bet the market price of those houses far exceeds what it would cost to build a new house
When I bought my house at the peak of the market (it has still not regained its value), the land was a significant cost. The actual structure is pretty moderately priced, compared to other neighborhoods. Location, location, location. So building something new may be a bit less expensive, but probably not as much as one might think.
which means there's way more people that want to live in SFHs there than are able to. Or maybe there's just more people that want to live in that neighborhood period.
Probably both. I'm pretty sure the value of those homes has generally risen because people want to live in them. People also want to live where the action is. Fortunately, with a mixture of housing types people have a choice.

There are always houses for sale in the Wedge so I don't think the market is quite as tight as you make it out to be. Yes, they tend to sell quickly but there's always new stuff on the market.
Every single family home displaces 5-10 or more housing units that could be built in multi-family.
I simply don't agree. In what way does a house on one parcel prevent an apartment on another in the neighborhood? The residents aren't opposed to density, they simply want it managed and placed such that we don't lose our SFH (and duplex, triplex, etc.) stock.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 6th, 2013, 1:04 pm

And the demand can't be as high as you've suggested. Otherwise we'd see all of the Bennet property developed, for example.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Phase One opens in August. Phase Two (center block) is already under construction before they are even generating income on the first. Phase Three (west block) was approved at the same time as Phase Two and they can start whenever they're ready. Maybe give them a second to get going on that before drawing any conclusions about demand.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 6th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Every single family home displaces 5-10 or more housing units that could be built in multi-family.
I simply don't agree. In what way does a house on one parcel prevent an apartment on another in the neighborhood? The residents aren't opposed to density, they simply want it managed and placed such that we don't lose our SFH (and duplex, triplex, etc.) stock.
I'd bet if you tore down every SFH and replaced them all with MFH, they'd all be occupied. Yes, currently there are houses that could be torn down and vacant lots, but once those are built on, it's not like nobody else is going to want to live in that neighborhood. There will be a demand for this area, and at a certain point the only way to meet that demand will be to remove SFHs.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 6th, 2013, 1:33 pm

I sort of agree, but we are a LONG way from needing to tear down SFHs. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it at all, because I supported this project all along, but there are plenty of places to put new multifamily housing in the neighborhood. Most of those places are currently occupied by asphalt car storage or single-story commercial buildings (and likely occupied).

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 6th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Yeah, I don't think we're at that point yet, I just think it's important to understand that land is scarce, and eventually SFH will be displacing potential residents.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 6th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Where Elan is going.
Ah, Elan. I only know it by that name.
I understand where you're coming from. But I just don't accept that keeping some SFHs in the area is somehow locking people out of living there.
From 1990 to 2010, the population of the Wedge went from 5,933 to 6,150, a 3.6% increase. In that same time, the metro area grew by 29.2%. That means while the region saw pretty strong population growth, the Wedge did not keep up with it (if it matched regional growth, that would mean 1,515 extra people living in the Wedge today, possibly more). For comparison of home values, the Wedge has several Census blocks, and the median single family (1-unit), detached home price in 2010 for them was $215k, $266k, $175k, $95k (the 1 block strip along Hennepin), and $510k. Average (assuming all blocks have equal number of homes): $252k. Median home price in the City of Minneapolis: $221k. Median home price of the Metro region: anywhere between $162 and 182k, depending on the source and whether you count 7-county or 13 county. So yes, I'd say that limiting housing stock explicitly by protecting the SFHs in the Wedge has done 2 things: 1) limited people from living there, and 2) made living there more unaffordable by restricting supply, further locking people out.
If a 13 story tower on Hennepin isn't financially feasible, build an 8 story apartment. Whatever works. If a 5 story apartment on a couple of current SFH lots is financially workable while a larger building on Hennepin is not, I really wonder why that would be so. Every developer I've ever talked to wants to go higher.
This is the exact case I'm making. To satiate a certain contingency of residents, would-be residents, and people who'll never live in the neighborhood but simply like the nostalgic feel of the area, we're telling a developer not only what they can and can't buy/develop, but how much money they can make doing it. A 13 story apartment on Hennepin may not be financially feasible, but a 6 story one on the core might be. That same 6 story one might have a yearly profit of X, which is greater than building an 8 story unit on Hennepin. All of this Randian talk (which in most cases I get sick of) ignores the societal benefits of maximizing those 'core' parcels' proximity to jobs, lakes, trails, rails, and shopping.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 6th, 2013, 2:05 pm

I'm not sure what you mean here.
I'm talking about the parking lot between Emerson and Fremont south of 28th which looks to be mostly undeveloperd in this rendering:

http://www.ouruptown.com/wp-content/upl ... nceptA.jpg

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 6th, 2013, 2:11 pm

I'm talking about the parking lot between Emerson and Fremont south of 28th which looks to be mostly undeveloperd in this rendering:

Oops, my bad. For some reason I had in my head that that parking lot spanned the whole block. It does not. The empty space in the rendering is in fact occupied by existing apartments.

Even so, there is still a lot of underutilized land in the Wedge. The big Vision Loss Resources and Jefferson school parking lots, for example.

There's even more such land in the greater Uptown area.

Someday, maybe, it will make sense to tear down some more SFHs and duplexes. But not yet.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 6th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Someday, maybe, it will make sense to tear down some more SFHs and duplexes. But not yet.
There are no doubt many under-utilized lots, parking, etc in the Wedge. However, keep in mind that much of this space you refer to is mandated by zoning law (parking minimums), the same type of zoning restrictions that mandate SFHs are the only appropriate structure for a lot. Those parcels with parking could not afford to put it underground. The fact that a developer, who is motivated entirely by profit, would choose to go after a non-underutilized (parking/vacant lot) shows either the market demand for the alternative is far greater and/or the cost of acquiring the lot/site we deem under-utilized is too high (or not possible due to codified reqs).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 6th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Oops, my bad. For some reason I had in my head that that parking lot spanned the whole block. It does not. The empty space in the rendering is in fact occupied by existing apartments.

Even so, there is still a lot of underutilized land in the Wedge. The big Vision Loss Resources and Jefferson school parking lots, for example.

There's even more such land in the greater Uptown area.

I went to Jefferson for a couple years and would consider crying if the surface lot (aka playground) was redeveloped! It's the only open space for the kids to play, and it's in front of everyone along Hennepin Ave. I remember watching the "big kids" walk across Hennepin to go to the then Burger King, which is now Uptown Cafe I think. I don't think each and every open lot has to be redeveloped in MInneapolis, and this is one example where an open urban space that is utilized has good cause to remain as-is. There are SO MANY open and under-utilized lots in the city that this shouldn't even be on anyone's radar. Plus, maybe it's because I have kids but I love watching the little guys playing at recess......it makes me feel like a kid!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 6th, 2013, 9:27 pm

I went to Jefferson for a couple years and would consider crying if the surface lot (aka playground) was redeveloped!
I was thinking of the parking lot north of the school building, not the playground. I agree, that playground area has value for the whole neighborhood.

mcrow25115
Block E

Postby mcrow25115 » July 12th, 2013, 4:09 pm

I hope that everyone on the board gets a chance to read my interview with Wedge paper .At least 90% of the Healy houses still exist and many of them are in amazing condition, but 2320 Colfax ave so is not one of them. If it were I would not have had a problem selling a 6000 square foot Healy house in good condition or somewhat intact on the corner of 24th and Colfax on and over sized lot for more money than the developer is willing to pay. If you take a good look at the old and new pictures other than the same basic shape everything that would distinguish it as a Healy house is gone. The original house had bulging bay windows on the 2nd level with the middle and bottom of the building flared on both levels with oriel or round windows and decorated corbels all away around the 2nd and 3rd level and the wood framed open porch has been replaced with a block foundation and four seasoned and most of those changes were done before I ever owned it.
One of my friends that was a volunteer for one of the counsel members that heard the appeal and confronted him about his vote and ask him why he voted the way he did and what did he base his decision on without looking at the property or even listening to the presentation. And was told that the counsel members vote the same as the counsel member of the ward that the appeal is from. So if that’s the case why are we spending the time and tax payers money by going through the whole process if you know the outcome before you get there. I think we really need to take a look at the people that we are putting in office. Some of the decision that they make have serious and life changing consequence’s for the people that make these appeals, and they should at least get a chance at a fair hearing.
I know I keep saying put yourself in my shoes but it’s the best way I can try and make people try and understand. For over 5-years I have been trying to sell the building because of sever health and financial reason and all that I have heard is that there is nothing left to restore and nobody wants a rooming house, unless you are willing to give it away, a developer comes along and makes a fair offer for something that you have the legal right to do and because of others peoples ideals your rights are taken away without them offering to compensate you for what they want. If it’s that important to them I am willing to sell or give it away to anybody they want as long as they or the City is willing to pay the difference, but it’s not fair to make me pay for what they want. I have swallowed whatever pride I had left and begged the people that I list in the interview to help me because of my situation being they will not allow me to help myself and it has made no difference, I have not heard a word from any of them since they got what they wanted.
I am trying to get as much support as I can, not for whether you believe in the development or not but that you believe a person rights should not be taken away just because others don’t agree with them, I thought that the laws and zoning were for this situation.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » July 12th, 2013, 11:22 pm

that is actually really sad. I hope they are happy with what they did to you...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Shame indeed.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 13th, 2013, 3:00 pm

The latest issue of The Wedge has an interview with Michael Crow. It's very, very sad. I am, however, glad that his voice is being heard by residents.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 13th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 13th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Makes me want to campaign more against Meg Tuthill.

What they have done to that poor man is equal to beating him up and then just walking away like nothing happened to him.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 13th, 2013, 5:18 pm

It should also be noted that this story is just coming out now, after it's too late. That's not too much of a surprise though since many of the folks at The Wedge Newspaper are the same folks that opposed the development. Putting the story out now telling Mr. Crow's side of the story is harmless, now that their side "won".

If you're reading this Michael, perhaps you should try again in early 2014 when we have a new City Council, specifically one without Gary Schiff and Meg Tuthill.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 13th, 2013, 6:38 pm

It should also be noted that this story is just coming out now, after it's too late. That's not too much of a surprise though since many of the folks at The Wedge Newspaper are the same folks that opposed the development. Putting the story out now telling Mr. Crow's side of the story is harmless, now that their side "won".
That's simply ridiculous. I know Bruce Cochran and he's a professional. I'm very glad he took the time to do this story. I don't think I've ever seen a headline interview story like this in The Wedge before.