My hometown: Columbus. Part 5: German Village.

Minneapolisite

My hometown: Columbus. Part 5: German Village.

Postby Minneapolisite » February 16th, 2013, 4:39 pm

German Village is unlike any other urban neighborhood in the country. No, you can't find it in NYC, Chi-town, or LA: you have to go to Columbus, OH and have a fun time over there. You'll have an even better time if you love brick. Brick homes are nice, but it's amazing how much more charming they are when the sidewalks and streets themselves are all brick: brick everywhere as far as the eye can see. Vinyl siding is MOST unwelcome here. The downside is that 1/3 of the neighborhood was torn down for a highway, so German Village used to extend into Downtown a handful of blocks north of the highway. Even so, it is (or was) the largest privately funded preserved district in the nation on the National Register of Historic Places.

MAP

John
Capella Tower

Re: My hometown: Columbus. Part 5: German Village.

Postby John » July 16th, 2013, 11:04 pm

I just had the great opportunity to visit German Village when I was in Ohio. It is amazing and charming! I still can't get over how large an area it encompasses, and how completely intact it is as an historical district. The huge park at the south end was gorgeous. Anyone interested in historical preservation should visit this neighborhood in Columbus. It's an absolute must! There is nothing like it anywhere in the US.