Calhoun-Isles Redesign

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
danie123182
City Center

Re: Calhoun-Isles Redesign

Postby danie123182 » July 17th, 2013, 1:11 am

...without a complex funding mechanism that relieves that park board of most financial responsibility. They have too few funds, period. There are numerous ways to reorganize the path systems, and possibly calm Lake Street, that could be cheaper.
What do you mean by "calm Lake Street?"

If you're referring to a way to slow down traffic in that stretch it would be a disaster for the adjoining neighborhoods who would then have to live through more exhaust fumes from idling vehicles and honking horns.

This is a genius idea I believe.

If anything this would allow for better traffic flow because you wouldn't have to allow for crossings at street level in the immediate vicinity.

This means less backed up traffic due to improved signal timings. Less idling cars. Better quality of life.

Anything you can do to improve traffic flow and make the area more pedestrian/bicycle friendly at the same time is a big thumbs up in my book.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 17th, 2013, 6:26 am

I think the idea of calming Lake St instead of having it be a grade-separated thoroughfare is kind of a tough one... Is the area west of Calhoun going to become less stroady as LRT comes through and development happens? I love the idea of the pedestrian/bike facilities as well as increased park space and connectivity between the lakes, but what happens to the cars traveling at 50+ mph in that stretch as they enter Uptown? Would a goal be to design the lanes/space in this area to truly force 30 mph speeds, just without being impeded? Are the crossings at street level really the choke points for traffic flow today or is it the interface with all the lights (Calhoun Pkwy & Hennepin EB, Dean, Excelsior, etc WB) causing the backups?

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 17th, 2013, 6:31 am

It's basically a multi-million-dollar lawn on top of Lake Street. Is there a reason why we can't just build a footbridge?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 17th, 2013, 7:24 am

I do not think people understand how crowded the area is today. There is lots of demand for the limited space in the area. I'm sure when Theo Wirth proposed purchasing all the land around the chain of lakes people guffawed at the price tag. Good infrastructure costs money. The park board is not expanding a park in hopes of getting more people to visit, they are expanding a park area at capacity.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 17th, 2013, 7:39 am

If they go with the 150 ft. wide land bridge, that'd add about 1/3 acre of new grass. Using their $15 million estimate that comes to $45 million per acre. Yikes.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 17th, 2013, 8:35 am

Seems like it will cost far less and get more use than the new St. Croix River crossing, so I guess costs are coming under control.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 17th, 2013, 9:24 am

^^ This is classic example of a productive place making investments to handle extra capacity because the place itself is so well loved and used. I agree it seems expensive, if this project can increase people traffic (cars+bikes+transit), add park space, and better connect the 2 lakes, it's totally worth it.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 17th, 2013, 9:43 am

A new crossing is a good idea, though I haven't really come to a decision on whether I like this one or not. It'd be good to combine this with a road diet on Lake Street at least for the bulk of the distance between East Calhoun Parkway and West Calhoun Parkway. I don't really think 3 lanes are needed in each direction here -- maybe for the queues at stop lights, but that's about it. Add parking and/or implement bike lanes/cycle tracks to narrow it down a bit and reduce the inclination for drivers to race along that section of road.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » July 17th, 2013, 10:22 am

Cycletracks between a bike trail and a bike highway? Not exactly a place screaming for that type of infrastructure. Any plan for this should come after Water Works, Scherer Park and the northside landbridge.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » July 17th, 2013, 10:59 am

The Lake Calhoun bike path is one-way and needlessly curvy. The Midtown Greenway has a limited number of access points. The road is where people who normally drive would probably try biking first.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » July 17th, 2013, 11:36 am

I agree that this could be a valuable addition to an important park, but would also agree that there is much more urgent park development need. However, could this land bridge be financed in part by a development at 2626 W Lake? If so I'd be in favor of it jumping the queue. Especially if it sweetened the deal for those few wealthy neighbors who might see a bit of winter shade from the development there and so keep killing it.
"Who rescued whom!"

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » July 17th, 2013, 5:50 pm

It is also bad on the southeast side of Calhoun when going to Harriet. This intersection also gets very congested and there should at least be some kind of overpass or underpass.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 18th, 2013, 10:54 am

i wish we had a bill gates type to help with our park system. i agree this is a great idea but parks dept seems stretched as it is with the riverfirst projects.

the bike/walk path on the bridge is a clusterbleep for sure. these paths need to separated at some point.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » July 18th, 2013, 11:17 am

i wish we had a bill gates type to help with our park system. i agree this is a great idea but parks dept seems stretched as it is with the riverfirst projects.

the bike/walk path on the bridge is a clusterbleep for sure. these paths need to separated at some point.
They can certainly work with the Three Rivers Park District on some projects. They recently added part of Webber Park into Three Rivers jurisdiction to free up some funding for the natural pool being built up there. The park board has a lengthy relationship with Three Rivers at the adjacent North Mississippi Regional Park. Working in tandem with them on the North Minneapolis RiverFirst projects could possibly free up funds for projects like this. The Pohlad and Dayton families have plenty of money and should be our Bill Gates.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 18th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Agreed. I'm also with Commissioner Olson in the story. Spend the money to study the lid over 94 first. It's a significantly worse barrier (if you can even find a place to cross at all) and it will connect to a much larger park system. Plus MNDOT has a LOT more money to part with than the county, if they even chose to contribute here.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 18th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Best username on the forum ^^^

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » July 20th, 2013, 8:46 am

Yeah works for me I was just floating the idea.

One thing I've thought about for a while that'd be super cool would be some sort of public space in the triangle where Lake and Lagoon split, as an entryway to Uptown. Maybe a statue or something?
That space is an eyesore and, for anyone who has tried crossing streets there, a pedestrian hazard. I'm for anything that would beautify the space if there was a way to make it safer for people to pass through.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » July 22nd, 2013, 12:23 am

Some sort of grade-separated crossing is needed somewhere near Dean Parkway. The lid is an interesting proposal that could radically transform the north side of Lake Calhoun and the south side of Lake of the Isles. I like the concept but it needs to be done as a part of the comprehensive rework of that park. I get people are concerned about the funds, I am too, but Lake Calhoun is well used and is in need of desperate improvements. Now some of that is from deferred maintenance that have now become capital expenses (such as the unbelievable soil erosion issues).

My view is that they should get rid of or substantially change West Calhoun Parkway just south of Lake Street to improve the park around there. It's incredibly difficult to cross that street and is mostly full of commuters racing home. It is also one of the only routes from that area to SW Mpls and is one of the scariest bike rides you can take in the summer with all the door hazards and drivers who come far too close to you. I was thinking that the compromise could be a one-way that reverses direction for AM/PM peak with bike lanes in both directions that would run from Lake Street to 37th Street. Or just remove the parking from part of it and put in a bike lane going SB.