StoneBridge (2nd Street South & 11th Avenue South)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Downtowner
Block E

StoneBridge (2nd Street South & 11th Avenue South)

Postby Downtowner » July 25th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Looks like the plans for this building (across 11th Ave from Gold Medal Park, behind the future Izzy's Factory) are re-surfacing. There is an update on the agenda for the next DMNA meeting on 8/14:

http://www.thedmna.org/wp-content/uploa ... -24-12.pdf
110 and 124 12th St. S and 1102 2nd St. S – Land use and PUD application for 169 housing units. Presentation by Lynn Leegard from Shamrock Development.
Shamrock has now sold through almost all of the remaining units at the Bridgewater - only 6 or 7 left out of 281 - so it would make sense that they are planning for the next development. I know this was discussed in the past as condos or apartments, but I'm pretty sure this will be condos due to the pace of recent sales... would be the only downtown building currently planned as condos, I believe, in this recent boom. I checked the Shamrock site to see if I could find more info and found a rendering with text that would seem to verify the condo plan (assuming this is recent... never saw an actual render for this before):

No other info on the page except for this. See for yourself here: http://theplaceforlofts.com/

Lancestar2

Re: Park Vista (2nd St S & 11th Ave S)

Postby Lancestar2 » July 26th, 2012, 1:41 am

I'm sure the rendering doesn't do the design any justice, however is it me or does it just give off the impression of cheap, Kmart crap trying to be passed off as fancy and deluxe. anybody else feel architecture has really been taking a turn for the worse with the 4-8 floors condo/apartment buildings that just looks so bland. Even with 6 different colors and textures just seems poorly meshed together! Maybe the architectects could benefit from taking a fashion course and learning a bit about fashion and what colors go together. I mean a prada purse can envoke feelings of want, desire and class. why can't a building that is 4-8 floors do that as well?

Of course you don't want to have people "desiring a building" but you get the point, they should be able to desire and want to live there instead of only having to focus on the actual apartment.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » July 26th, 2012, 7:07 am

I think the rendering is interesting, and that the building would fit in well with what has been built around the Mill District.

At least it isn't 6 floors of sticks, right?

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » July 26th, 2012, 7:38 am

I think the rendering is interesting, and that the building would fit in well with what has been built around the Mill District.

At least it isn't 6 floors of sticks, right?
The rendering itself isn't very exciting but I think that's a function of how early-stage this is. I doubt Shamrock is going to build a 12-story condo building and make it crappy. The economies of scale don't make any sense. If going cheap was the goal they'd stay with the 4-6 story stick BS we're seeing so much of. Which leads me to my final point...we can't go wrong with a quality 12-story building in this area. Worst case scenario is they put on a new facade in a decade or two.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 26th, 2012, 8:16 am

Maybe I'm the only one but I actually LIKE this rendering! The only things that I don't understand are the protruding balconies and the gray "box" in the front of the building as pictured. If you think about it, I don't personally know of many more 12+ story residential buildings in the city that look NICER than this! So I'm not sure what all of the complaining is about, but then again, I don't understand "fashion"...

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » July 26th, 2012, 8:27 am

This is the only "render" I remember ever surfacing, courtesy of our very own minnescraper:

Looks a heck of a lot more sleek, and-- frankly-- attractive than this new render. Of course, it's impossible to tell what the materials would've been...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 26th, 2012, 8:36 am

I think it will flesh out to be pretty nice. Let's not pretend that architects haven't taken plenty of design fundamental, color theory, and such classes at some point in their schooling. early CAD renderings are often based on what they have available to put on the drawing.

I think it will look especially awesome from the other side of the river, Hug in the Guthrie, and anchor the skyline a little!

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » July 26th, 2012, 9:01 am

I think it will look especially awesome from the other side of the river, Hug in the Guthrie, and anchor the skyline a little!
I agree-- it will definitely stretch the skyline in that direction. Not that it's tall, but it'll be much taller than its neighbors...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 26th, 2012, 9:06 am

I think that is a pretty nice looking building if that is still the plan. Nicer than The Bridgewater to be sure.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » July 26th, 2012, 10:05 am

I agree-- it will definitely stretch the skyline in that direction. Not that it's tall, but it'll be much taller than its neighbors...
To be fair, Bridgewater is 8/10 stories and Zenith is 9 stories. But I agree this will be a great addition to the Mill District skyline and a nice bookend to the Gold Medal Park area.

Its about time this thing got off the ground, Stanton has had construction equipment on site for over a year now. Hopefully a fellow Minnescraperian / UrbanMSPite can attend the DMNA meeting and fill the rest of us in on the details.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » July 26th, 2012, 10:54 am

I think a few small changes would go along way to make the building look less busy. Changing the wood balcony undertone to black and white (or tan) to better blend them into the building. Also changing the chess board to have a more visually pleasing lines. Again perhaps instead of white it could be the tan brick they have on the side of the building as well...

...but I'm sure you will all hate it! haha

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 26th, 2012, 11:08 am

I like the wood because it adds a lot of warmth and elemental feeling to an urban building. This rendering is in severe need of some simplification though, I'm not sure what the deal is with that top section, but they almost look like retractable awnings of some sort, so they would be changing all the time? What you drew in white could look good in Stainless Steel if the other trim on the building is stainless too!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » July 26th, 2012, 11:34 am

I think it will flesh out to be pretty nice. Let's not pretend that architects haven't taken plenty of design fundamental, color theory, and such classes at some point in their schooling. early CAD renderings are often based on what they have available to put on the drawing.
I thought Shamrock doesn't use architects. This looks ok, though. Remember how crappy Bridgewater looked in the renderings? It turned out ok.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 26th, 2012, 12:27 pm

I thought that the threat of ice cream cones killed this project? Could it be that all of that noise was just bluster from a developer?

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » July 26th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Stanton obviously preferred Izzy's wouldn't be located in front of his building - he planned on using that space for landscaping the entrance to Park Vista.

It made sense for him to take that stance, but now with the Bridgewater nearly sold out, it makes sense for him to go ahead with the project in spite of Izzy's (which will actually be a great amenity for residents of Park Vista / Bridgewater and the neighborhood as a whole).

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » July 26th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Stanton obviously preferred Izzy's wouldn't be located in front of his building - he planned on using that space for landscaping the entrance to Park Vista.
I for one am glad that (*hopefully*) won't be able to happen. Minneapolis needs density. Gold Medal Park provides plenty of greenspace for nearby residents.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 26th, 2012, 2:09 pm

I think that is a pretty nice looking building if that is still the plan. Nicer than The Bridgewater to be sure.
Bridgewater is an award-winning building, I believe.... :?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 26th, 2012, 2:11 pm

To be fair, Bridgewater is 8/10 stories and Zenith is 9 stories. But I agree this will be a great addition to the Mill District skyline and a nice bookend to the Gold Medal Park area.

Its about time this thing got off the ground, Stanton has had construction equipment on site for over a year now. Hopefully a fellow Minnescraperian / UrbanMSPite can attend the DMNA meeting and fill the rest of us in on the details.
When's that?

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » July 26th, 2012, 2:16 pm

August 14th @ the Central Library.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 26th, 2012, 2:17 pm

I think a lot of you/us are forgeting that this area is "historic", so a lot of the color mish-mashing is probably because the developer HAS to abide by certain codes and such that make his building blend into the neighborhood enough. Maybe that's why you see tan, white, AND black/gray on the fascade?

I still like it the way it is, personally!