Betty Danger's Country Club

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Betty Danger's Country Club

Postby seanrichardryan » July 10th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Steve Holt
Block E

Re: Betty Danger's Country Club

Postby Steve Holt » July 11th, 2013, 8:05 am

If done right, this has the potential to be very very cool.

...or, could turn into a tacky carnival-like mess.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 11th, 2013, 8:20 am

Isn't a tacky mess the appeal of Psycho Suzi's? At least the old one? I've only been to the new one once.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 11th, 2013, 2:21 pm

She's got great business sense. The space may be tacky, but it's also unique and, especially with the new massive deck, she is able to create a space where people want to hang out. The new space will undoubtedly be a success and will further complicate parking along Marshall in this area.
It amazes me; you can drive by at 3 in the afternoon on a random day and the parking lot is already full and people are having to park on the street.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » July 11th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Looks cool to me, eating on a ferris wheel sounds pretty cool!

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 11th, 2013, 7:24 pm

This is definitely good news for Lowry Ave and there are greenies right across the street. Hopefully this will encourage some momentum a bit east: thinkin' that empty Little Jack's spot on 2nd just a handful of blocks east. Drunk mini-golf sounds fun I have to say.

The owner is uncannily similar to Liz Lessner in my hometown of C-bus, except not quite as pervasive city-wide. There she has twice as many themed restaurant-bars with themes such as: historic Columbus, cowgirl, pin-up girl,tiki, etc. Each of these were in otherwise dead zones when they first opened and now she's opening a couple more themed joints in a couple of blighted blue-collar areas that no one else has bothered with (think Arcade and Payne in east St Paul except with around a 50% vacancy rate for urban storefronts). Likewise over here, Leslie Bock is the only person to recently open a destination bar in Hawthorne of all places and yes, that's true even if it is in the industrial outskirts of said neighborhood and not smack dab on W Broadway.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 7th, 2013, 8:46 am

Site plans, from the Planning Commission:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 112489.pdf

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 7th, 2013, 9:16 am

The ferris wheel is cool but everything else about it is thunderously stupid. There are already plenty of authentic bland country club restaurants around here, we certainly don't need an ironic one. Also there still a few Perkinses around, no need to get rid of the awesome dated fake stone and shingle cave for a replica just so hipsters can stand outside and giggle (as in the rendering).
"Who rescued whom!"

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 7th, 2013, 9:37 am

I think you underestimate the hipster giggling in Nordeast. I predict this will do quite well.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » August 7th, 2013, 10:01 am

The constant derision of hipsters (aka post-college people who live in our city) is getting tired at this point. Are you unhappy with current fashion trends? Moving on, this place looks interesting, is being designed by Smart Associates (behind a lot of cool stuff around town) and will be successful. The northern end of Marshall could use the energy that moved south when this location closed.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 7th, 2013, 10:07 am

Get used to it, because hipsters have been derided for nearly a century at this point. I would say that your "anything is better than nothing" argument is also tired, but I should get used to it for the same reason. Instead I'll just ask what you find interesting about beige stucco and ornamental awnings striped two shades of green?
"Who rescued whom!"

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 7th, 2013, 10:11 am

Your revolution is over, hipsters. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, hipsters?

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » August 7th, 2013, 10:18 am

Fair enough... I don't intend to launch a be-nice-to-hipsters campaign, but it sometimes feels like a general dislike of young adults.

I'm also unimpressed by the stucco and dorky awning, but the building currently looks like crap, like an abandoned Pizza Hut from the 70's. The ferris wheel, sign, landscaping and (assumed) nice interior go a long way for me - and I want to ride that wheel. It's a small site, so I can't picture something much more exciting than this happening here.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » August 7th, 2013, 10:27 am

Your revolution is over, hipsters. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, hipsters?
Oh yep, get in line bitches, because corporate america is running things so swimmingly...

Given the precarious nature of things, there's something to the idea of learning to grow your food, cook from scratch, sew your clothes, make your own fun. If your talking about standing around in neon and fedoras looking stupid, then whatever, I don't care. If you're talking about the counterculture that wishes to change pretty much every aspect of modern life back to something resembling humanity, then you couldn't be more wrong, the times they are a changing.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 7th, 2013, 10:31 am

Just a hunch here, but I think matt would agree with you, VV. That's a paraphrase of a line in the Big Lebowski and when delivered in the movie is supposed to be more of a condemnation of the man delivering it than the bum on the receiving end.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » August 7th, 2013, 10:56 am

Well, it's obvious i'm not a hipster, or I would have remembered that quote. I guess that makes sense why it sounded so much like some Ronald Reagan tripe back from the dead.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 7th, 2013, 1:05 pm

the people going to these bars/restaurants give this city a vibrancy. without it minneapolis might as well shrivel and become a large version robbinsdale. these people riding single speed bikes and skinny jeans...

it's a currently a barren empty corner of a rather barren intersection. bring on the ferris wheel. what do you suggest for that corner? A CVS?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 7th, 2013, 2:05 pm

My only fear is that the ferris wheel is going to be coated in vomit after people head over from having a gallon or two of greenies across the street at Tony Jaro's.

I'm curious to see how eclectic the menu will be, I could see them putting hot dish on there.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » August 12th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Demolition has begun. I drove by today on my way home from work and noticed that the old building has been completely demolished. They are moving quickly on this one.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 12th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Missed the Big Lebowski quote. Nice call. Honestly, if this thing looks cheap on the outside but brings in people, it's a big improvement over what's there. I doubt anyone would want to invest much more here in facade/looks given the surroundings. Maybe in 15 years it'll get a nice upgrade.