Pedal Pubs

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Nick
Capella Tower

Pedal Pubs

Postby Nick » August 15th, 2013, 7:13 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/219824091.html
Two hurt when PedalPub tips over in downtown Minneapolis

The traveling table-on-wheels reportedly tipped over while rounding a corner.

Two people were injured Thursday afternoon when a PedalPub vehicle traveling around downtown Minneapolis tipped over, police said.

The vehicle — a roving bar on wheels — tipped over onto three of its patrons about 3 p.m. as it rounded a corner close to 105 W. 5th Av. S., near Mill Ruins Park. Two people were hospitalized.

The popular PedalPubs are slow-moving party vehicles steered by an official driver and carrying up to 16 people who pedal away as the vehicles move on prescribed routes downtown or in Dinkytown. Users bring their own beverages, including alcoholic ones, and snacks.

[...]
Out of curiosity, what do people think about Pedal Pubs? I've been on them several times and didn't know that a lot of people were against the whole concept until relatively recently. I like fun. Also, who doesn't tip? Who does that??
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Pedal Pubs

Postby David Greene » August 15th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Out of curiosity, what do people think about Pedal Pubs? I've been on them several times and didn't know that a lot of people were against the whole concept until relatively recently. I like fun. Also, who doesn't tip? Who does that??
We did the Pedal Pub for our joint pre-wedding party and it was a blast!

I didn't know there was so much hate for the Pedal Pub either but I can understand folks getting annoyed by irresponsible drunk people.

As for blocking traffic, please. Just pass.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 15th, 2013, 8:47 pm

As for blocking traffic, please. Just pass.
Agreed. Comments about Pedal Pubs (or bikes) moving slowly make baby urbanist Jesus cry.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 15th, 2013, 8:50 pm

I've got a friend that lives downtown that hates them because of the noise. Though he's also kind of elitist and hates when anybody that doesn't live in the city comes downtown, so I pretty much put that opinion in the "wrong" category. Another posted on Facebook in response to this saying that they don't follow traffic laws and are unsafe for anybody, no idea what that means.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 15th, 2013, 9:38 pm

I think they rock. I've been on one three times; #s 1 and 3 were so much fun that #2's disaster of a time is a distant, long forgotten memory. I think they're a unique and interesting recreational offering that we have here in MSP and just one of many small things that contribute big time to a lively city.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 15th, 2013, 9:52 pm

I've got a friend that lives downtown that hates them because of the noise. Though he's also kind of elitist and hates when anybody that doesn't live in the city comes downtown, so I pretty much put that opinion in the "wrong" category. Another posted on Facebook in response to this saying that they don't follow traffic laws and are unsafe for anybody, no idea what that means.
Hey, I'm all about being a snob too (got dragged to Stella's a couple Saturday nights ago and complained the whooooole time) but I've just never seen any reason to dislike people on Pedal Pubs. I've gotten "wooOoooOooOOOooo!'s" a few times but worse things have probably happened on Nicollet Mall.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » August 16th, 2013, 12:45 pm

I suppose I wouldn't mind them so much if:

-They obeyed traffic laws
-Avoided residential areas
-Kept the noise down
-Didn't litter

...I think that covers most of it.

Also, obligatory.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 16th, 2013, 2:45 pm

It's hard for me to think pedal pubs aren't the worst, but this piece from Bill Lindeke may have swayed me: http://tcsidewalks.blogspot.com/2013/02 ... l-pub.html

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 16th, 2013, 4:12 pm

It's hard for me to think pedal pubs aren't the worst, but this piece from Bill Lindeke may have swayed me: http://tcsidewalks.blogspot.com/2013/02 ... l-pub.html
Possibly the best quote ever:
You see, people from the burbs (especially young ones) aren’t really very good at knowing how to act in a civilized place like Minneapolis. They grew up in sheltered 2000 sq ft sensory deprivation homes, surrounded by fences and endless lawns where their only access to the outside world was the Jersey Shore on TV. For most of them, an "urban experience" was going to the Metrodome. They don't know how to behave in a real bar, they don't know how to get around the city. (This is one of the reasons why first- and second-year college kids are about the worst neighbors on Planet Earth.)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 16th, 2013, 4:24 pm

I love his idea of gateway urban experiences. Living in a city can be weird and sometimes uncomfortable, but it's never boring and it's always interesting. Experiences like the ones he mentioned can give outsiders an idea of what city life is like. Living in Minneapolis isn't like 365 days of Internet Cat Video Film Fest, but it's a lot closer to that than the monotony of the suburbs.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 16th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Sorry, I respect the difference of opinion, but I don't really find any of the arguments presented here or in the article to be all that compelling- Yes, they calm traffic, but buses can also get stuck behind them. And yes, they bring people into the city who might not otherwise come, but so do thousands of other things that don't upset residents. I also resent the article resorting to the tactic of inferring that anyone against these vehicles and their occupants' behavior is exhibiting "hipster snobbery."

In related news, the clock may be ticking on pedal pubs in Amsterdam:
http://www.treehugger.com/cars/pedal-po ... anned.html

And:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... S:official

blindeke
Block E

Postby blindeke » August 16th, 2013, 9:23 pm

I completely agree that I am uncompelling. Regardless, people from the burbs discovering awesome dive bars is pretty much the gold standard of urbanism.

blindeke
Block E

Postby blindeke » August 16th, 2013, 9:25 pm

And for some reason, they're "controversial?" I swear, next year, I'm gonna get a job driving one of those things and blog about it...

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 17th, 2013, 9:07 am

In related news, the clock may be ticking on pedal pubs in Amsterdam:
http://www.treehugger.com/cars/pedal-po ... anned.html

And:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... S:official
Articles from three plus years ago are not very compelling either. I have been to Amsterdam since these articles have appeared and saw plenty of pedal pubs.

My $0.02, pedal pubs are good. They highlight the advantages of urbanism in unique way and are fun. For what its worth I looked at the "I hate pedal pubs" Facebook page, and my two friends who "liked" the page I would consider snobs.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 17th, 2013, 9:23 am

Articles from three plus years ago are not very compelling either. I have been to Amsterdam since these articles have appeared and saw plenty of pedal pubs.
Oh jeez, didn't see the years on those. Whoops.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » August 17th, 2013, 9:57 am

Pedal pubs make me feel like I am a wild animal being gawked at by a bunch of upper crust Victorian Brits on safari. I hate those things, I know it may not be rational, but that doesn't change it.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 18th, 2013, 10:21 am

And for some reason, they're "controversial?" I swear, next year, I'm gonna get a job driving one of those things and blog about it...
Last time I saw one of their job postings, car ownership was a prerequisite.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 19th, 2013, 2:01 pm

I've got a friend that lives downtown that hates them because of the noise.
Hey, I'm all about being a snob too (got dragged to Stella's a couple Saturday nights ago and complained the whooooole time) but I've just never seen any reason to dislike people on Pedal Pubs. I've gotten "wooOoooOooOOOooo!'s" a few times but worse things have probably happened on Nicollet Mall.
I thought pedal pubs were cool until one too many hair band or New Kids songs was put in my head after walking past them on my commute. Still, they are 1000x less annoying than party buses, the average motorcyclist, or American Burger Bar.
"Who rescued whom!"

blindeke
Block E

Postby blindeke » August 19th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Last time I saw one of their job postings, car ownership was a prerequisite.
Well that's lame. There goes my killer New Yorker piece.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 19th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Still, they are 1000x less annoying than party buses, the average motorcyclist, or American Burger Bar.
Spot. On.