Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby Silophant » August 2nd, 2013, 10:43 pm

Maybe it was a joke the whole time, that's as big as the Nic on Fifth will be, and we'll eventually get a fourth building on this block?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 3rd, 2013, 12:35 pm

Yeah, over the weekend it was closed in two different sections, and yet buses werent routed only to Hennepin. They still twisted and turned to get back to Nicollet with a second detour via Marquette or LaSalle farther south.
I really don't get this, especially with the #10 which is late enough as it is, lets route that down the busiest street even though we could route it through Marquette which is closer to 3rd where the bus goes up to Central anyway. :?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 3rd, 2013, 1:07 pm

Maybe it was a joke the whole time, that's as big as the Nic on Fifth will be, and we'll eventually get a fourth building on this block?
No, I think this was mentioned before: they are using the east half of the parcel to unload materials and allow good accessability for construction vehicles etc. Its a staging area to make it easier to build considering the tight construction space next to the LRT. They probably won't start on the eastern half until the tower is topped off at 26 stories, and most of the tower's precast facade panels are in place.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » August 4th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Longtime reader, first post. Some pics from this morning.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 5th, 2013, 8:45 am

Welcome and thanks!

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » August 19th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Here's a fun view from section T in Target field showing the crane in front of 100 S 5th. Looks like a few floors will be visible from that middle section eventually.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 19th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Yeah! It should be at least as tall or taller than the crane I'd think, probably cover up most of 100 S 5th.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 19th, 2013, 12:32 pm

I'm on jury duty this week (yay) so walked around DT today at lunch; I don't know how much higher this one is going to get but right now it's kind of disappointing how little impact it has. Of course, with Nicollet Mall all blocked off and all the construction debris around it's a little hard to get a sense of what its impact on the street will actually be, but I guess I was hoping to find myself thinking, "wow, the north end of Nicollet finally feels like a city" while I was struck instead by how small the footprint of this project is, and how much empty lot and ugly parking ramp there still is here. Of course, I like small-footprint high-density projects, so hopefully this will spur the area to fill in with similar construction. Its massing seems quite nice.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » August 19th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I'm on jury duty this week (yay) so walked around DT today at lunch; I don't know how much higher this one is going to get but right now it's kind of disappointing how little impact it has. Of course, with Nicollet Mall all blocked off and all the construction debris around it's a little hard to get a sense of what its impact on the street will actually be, but I guess I was hoping to find myself thinking, "wow, the north end of Nicollet finally feels like a city" while I was struck instead by how small the footprint of this project is, and how much empty lot and ugly parking ramp there still is here. Of course, I like small-footprint high-density projects, so hopefully this will spur the area to fill in with similar construction. Its massing seems quite nice.
When I counted last week they have about 10 more floors to go. The footprint is only half of what it will be. They haven't started the other half of the building yet, it's going to take up half the block. The rest of the block will be built out with Xcel's new building and the Mortenson apartment building.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 19th, 2013, 3:18 pm

I have the opposite impression. I think it makes a huge difference in making it "feel like you're in the city." But maybe it's mostly the construction noise!
Towns!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 19th, 2013, 6:58 pm

I mean, honestly, in how many U.S. cities can you essentially hide two 300 foot towers and have little/no impact on the skyline? Look at it that way, I guess.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 19th, 2013, 8:04 pm

I mean, honestly, in how many U.S. cities can you essentially hide two 300 foot towers and have little/no impact on the skyline? Look at it that way, I guess.
Fair point!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 19th, 2013, 8:25 pm

The Power's Block is currently a work in progress. With the final completion of all three developments it will definitely "feel like your in a big city". What I'm really curious and excited about is what's going to happen to the Ritz block along Nicollet Mall just to the north. These three projects make development of the Ritz block that much closer to reality. This is ground zero for a new tall skyscraper to be built downtown if there ever was one. We definitely need some new projects that actually impact the skyline

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 20th, 2013, 11:51 am

can see this crane from stone arch bridge. will fill a gap but then be partially blocked by 4marq.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 23rd, 2013, 3:44 pm

From today:

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 26th, 2013, 8:56 am

The crane on this got raised. It's taller than the shorter 5th Street Tower now.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » September 6th, 2013, 11:42 pm

When is the expected completion date?

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » September 7th, 2013, 5:49 am

When is the expected completion date?
Summer of next year, according to their website.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 11th, 2013, 7:42 am

Driving home through downtown yesterday, this is just starting to poke out above the Xcel building when viewed from the intersection of Hennepin and 4th. I'd have grabbed a picture, but I doubt the cop in the lane next to me would have approved.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » September 14th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Taken today: Image