St. Anthony Main - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

St. Anthony Main - General Topics

Postby dmdhashw » August 27th, 2013, 8:49 am

The owners of the St. Anthony Main movie theater are investing $2 million in renovations this fall. The renovations will consist of new digital projection technology, improved sound systems, new decor, new heating and air conditioning and new seating.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ation.html

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Re: St. Anthony Main Movie Theater

Postby MplsSteve » August 27th, 2013, 12:26 pm

That's great news. I really like that theater, even though it's become somewhat decrepit. I appreciate the Main's more adult orientation that you don't find in the suburbs. I am puzzled by part about upgrading to digital technology. I thought that all theaters had to do that a while back.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 27th, 2013, 2:41 pm

I went recently and quite enjoyed it, mostly due to being able to explore the St. Anthony Main area before and after the movie, but still. The ticket prices are VERY affordable compared with AMC's, etc. The screens are very, very small however. I might pay the extra few bucks and drive to Southdale to see the latest superhero/sci-fi effects-laden blockbuster on a REAL movie screen. The screens at St. Anthony are probably in the ballpark of a really rich guy's basement. For comparison, they are much smaller than your typical one-screen historic theater even. I saw Oblivion on a Saturday night, 2nd week of release I believe, and it was not very busy at all.
Last edited by twincitizen on August 27th, 2013, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » August 27th, 2013, 2:59 pm

That's great news. I really like that theater, even though it's become somewhat decrepit. I appreciate the Main's more adult orientation that you don't find in the suburbs. I am puzzled by part about upgrading to digital technology. I thought that all theaters had to do that a while back.
The article states that they've done some upgrades already. The few screens I've been in at St. Anthony have all had digital projectors.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 27th, 2013, 3:14 pm

I saw the new Star Trek at St Anthony and I thought it was great, plenty big for me. I much prefer St Anthony for movies than any of the huge theaters.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 27th, 2013, 10:59 pm

I always got frustrated in school when my housemates wanted to go to the Rosedale AMC for movies rather than the closer and much cooler St Anthony Main. On the cheap front.. doesn't AMC offer $6 movies all day every day except Fri and Sat though? In any case, I wish there were more theaters like St Anthony Main spread throughout the city...

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » August 28th, 2013, 6:32 am

I always got frustrated in school when my housemates wanted to go to the Rosedale AMC for movies rather than the closer and much cooler St Anthony Main. On the cheap front.. doesn't AMC offer $6 movies all day every day except Fri and Sat though? In any case, I wish there were more theaters like St Anthony Main spread throughout the city...
AMC is now $5 for matinee during the week, $7.50 for week nights, $8 for weekend matinee, and $10.75 for weekend nights.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 28th, 2013, 10:53 am

Not all of the screens at St Anthony Main are smaller like that, though. But I do the same thing: St Anthony Main for most movies and Icon for big special effects or soundtrack movies.

orangevening
Nicollet Mall

Postby orangevening » August 28th, 2013, 2:45 pm

I worked there in the late 1990's. One evening Marilyn Manson came in with his girlfriend at the time (Rose
?) and watched "Pleasantville". He was in town for a tour.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » June 5th, 2014, 8:58 am

The theater has had limited showings this summer due to the renovation. They have a couple pictures up on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/stanthonymaintheatre

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 5th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

jasmeen
Block E

Postby jasmeen » February 19th, 2016, 3:23 am

I wish there were more theaters like St Anthony Main spread throughout the city...
== Chess ==

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: St. Anthony Main - General Topics

Postby Didier » April 4th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Running through St. Anthony Main this weekend I was reminded that the old Vic's space is somehow still vacant, but according to this (super long) list of restaurant openings it is soon to be something called Pizza Shark.

https://www.startribune.com/restaurant- ... fresh=true

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » April 5th, 2022, 9:02 am

Running through St. Anthony Main this weekend I was reminded that the old Vic's space is somehow still vacant, but according to this (super long) list of restaurant openings it is soon to be something called Pizza Shark.

https://www.startribune.com/restaurant- ... fresh=true
Must be the second location of the Pizza Shark on Hennepin in the former D'amico space.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 5th, 2022, 9:32 am

What would it take to get this area firing on all cylinders? It's fairly popular during the summer, but pretty dead the rest of the year. It just feels like it should be more successful than it is.

I'm interested in the idea of closing Main Street to car traffic from 3rd to Merriam, but that probably helps in the summer but hurts the rest of the year.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » April 5th, 2022, 10:16 am

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 5th, 2022, 10:20 am

I feel like it would take a lot. It needs to be way better connected to everything else in NE to really thrive IMO. But there's so much crap in the way I don't really know how that's possible.
Towns!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 5th, 2022, 11:39 am

Some problems- STA Main & Riverplace are essentially walls to the neighborhood, confusing on the inside. The retaining wall under the townhomes (which are a huge barrier to ped access up top too), splits the two business areas in two. The sidewalks & trails down there are barely ADA accessible, landscaping is trashed, and the river side park is in a decrepit state. It needs infrastructure investment and better building frontage.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 5th, 2022, 11:43 am

Yep, all that. Those townhomes really suck.
Towns!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 5th, 2022, 8:53 pm

I’ve always thought that the Christmas market should be there along Main Street… incredible view of downtown and the river.