LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
m b p
Nicollet Mall

Re: LPM Apartments - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby m b p » September 9th, 2013, 11:01 am

we're looking at the narrow side... or yes... two broad sides.

Last edited by m b p on September 9th, 2013, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 9th, 2013, 11:31 am

Thanks MBP. IMO, One of the really fun qualities about this elliptical design is how different it scale and proportion will look from various vantage points. The reflective glass will create different visual effects based on the angles of sunlight, weather conditions , etc. The crown lit up at night will give it yet another personality and image on the skyline. It's going to be a great addition to our city!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 9th, 2013, 11:36 am

The implication is that because the building is basically an elipse that has only two sides (broad ones), and two points, if you are looking at ANY "side" of the building, you're in fact looking at a broad side(s) of the building... it's just semantics...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 9th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » September 9th, 2013, 10:04 pm

I like the look of the building, but I don't like that the big parking garage. Hopefully it will be covered up well, and the only thing to be seen is the retail. It is just awkward that the building is ovalish in shape but not touching the street, like the part that is touching the street has no people in it. Minneapolis needs to stop requiring parking spaces in its developments, or lessen the amount. Otherwise I love the building itself, the center piece, the height, the location, etc.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 10th, 2013, 8:20 am

I count 18 floors in the latest photo provided above (incl. the base/ramp), but I can't tell if there is another floor or two being shielded by the parking portion on the base of the building, so it could be as high as 20 floors.

P.S. I LOVE that 2nd photo with the older, mid-rise buildings in the foreground!

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » September 10th, 2013, 11:32 am

I'm actually glad they included integrated parking in this project. The part of the building that sticks out from the rest of the nearby apartments is gorgeous and the retail will draw the eye from the relatively bulbous parking structure. Parking is incredibly tight in this area as it is and they didn't overdo the garage, having fewer than one spot per unit in the tower.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 11th, 2013, 12:41 am

Spoke to a construction worker Monday afternoon at the site who told me the building will be topped out by Thanksgiving or slightly earlier. They are now planning to erect three floors of concrete frame per week. The crane is also going to be hoisted to 319 feet this week. The building construction is way ahead of schedule and will probably open sometime in July ( September 2014 was the original date). Magellan had a grilled steak lunch on Monday for all the construction workers on top of the podium to celebrate! :D

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 11th, 2013, 1:35 am

I am really truck by how much that building and the context for it reminds me of Chicago - There is something about Chicago developers and their brash and brawny projects that I just love. Feels like Lincoln Park, Boystown and Northshore neighborhoods. I hope that proves to be just the beginning of their presence in this market.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 11th, 2013, 7:05 am

their portfolio of chicago developments is impressive. contrast this with what we have going up a few blocks away at 5th and nicollet. there we have a local development team putting up another boxy, and for me, non-descript hi-rise.

and we have an out-of-town developer doing interesting work in the north loop. come build in our city and give us fresh perspectives.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » September 11th, 2013, 8:26 am

Is anyone else here looking to actually live in this building when it's done? With a July opening, what's the best way to get to the top of the pile for the best units? I'm thinking I'd pull the trigger and put down a deposit on this gem.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 11th, 2013, 9:29 am

their portfolio of chicago developments is impressive. contrast this with what we have going up a few blocks away at 5th and nicollet. there we have a local development team putting up another boxy, and for me, non-descript hi-rise.

and we have an out-of-town developer doing interesting work in the north loop. come build in our city and give us fresh perspectives.
Yes, it appears that some of the better apartment projects are coming from out of towners. Magellan understands what makes urban living in a high rise desirable ( the views for one thing). They were interested in designing something iconic that stands out. Brunsfield made a great contribution with their very modern and urbane apartment project. This is missing in some of the other projects, especially by local developers. Quite frankly , some of them are not as sophisticated.

mrcity

Postby mrcity » September 11th, 2013, 10:00 am

Well , not to call out anyone in particular, but lets face it, Minnesotans have a reputation for being conservative with their money....or shall I say "cheap", practical and efficient. I would say most of the new buildings by local developers fall into that category with the exception being the new Vikings stadium area park development. This city could use more big spending dreamers for sure....problem is we don't have any Gold mines, oil wells, sexy beaches or stock exchanges to attract flashy spenders. You also don't see many Ferrari dealerships or bugatti ads downtown either.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 11th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Stuff needs to be reasonable dude :)

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » September 11th, 2013, 1:36 pm

there a few people that break the mold. a guy that lives down the street from me in Elliot Park drives a Ferrari.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 11th, 2013, 1:38 pm

there a few people that break the mold. a guy that lives down the street from me in Elliot Park drives a Ferrari.
He lives on the floor below me.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 11th, 2013, 1:40 pm

We actually have some talented and creative architects in the Twin Cities/Minnesota who break the mold. If only more developers would just hire them!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 11th, 2013, 3:34 pm

John to add to your post - Many of our local architectural firms are hired to do really interesting work abroad. Ellerbe has some phenomenal projects and we have many local firms that have made a national and international name in innovative home design. Wish we could get some of that love from Ryan and Opus, etc. and push the envelope a little more.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 12th, 2013, 3:31 pm

You can see the crane when viewing the skyline from the southwest side of Lake Calhoun. Because there are taller buildings behind it won't have much of an impact from the view here but it will be noticeable if the roof is illuminated.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » September 12th, 2013, 7:02 pm

He lives on the floor below me.
HA! really?