The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Chef
Landmark Center

Re: The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Postby Chef » September 19th, 2013, 12:08 pm

i find this project a little gimmicky and overdone, trying too hard. but this is uptown and perhaps a little of this is fine.
This is actually very similar to F Scott Fitzgerald's criticism of Summit Avenue back when it was newly built. I think stuff that is gimmicky and overdone tends to age well. Each era has its' own iteration of that. Once a building is no longer new I think it is the excessive gaudy stuff that becomes the marker of its' era and is most beloved. Simple boxes are simple boxes in every era.

When my parents were younger they were friends with the son of Louis Skidmore of SOM. My dad once asked Louis Skidmore why everybody was tearing down beautiful old Victorian buildings and replacing them with modernist boxes. Skidmore's answer was that Victorian architecture was gaudy and kitsch and that nobody with good taste liked it anymore. The ornamentation was excessive, the clean, sleek lines of Modernism were far superior. I have always remembered this vignette as an example of how people of one era might judge architecture in completely different terms than the next.

I suspect that a lot of the residential architecture being built today will be loved a century from now. Even stuff that we criticize now like Murals or 222 Hennepin. The quality of architecture of smaller buildings has been on a serious upswing over the last decade but we are generally unable to recognize it because this city is full of obsessive perfectionists.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 21st, 2013, 10:10 am

Sorry, but I really doubt that Murals will ever be considered an architectural gem in any decade.

On a note pertaining to this thread, I noticed yesterday that there is now exterior cladding with variety of metal claddings and no less than 4 different shades of tan and gray.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 23rd, 2013, 3:37 pm

I think the greys are really handsome and actually the siding makes the building look a lot less busy than it is without, which is a change.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 23rd, 2013, 3:51 pm

picture of the new siding here:
https://db.tt/FqT4Mt33

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 28th, 2013, 6:48 pm

More of the ribbed metal siding going up on the back (Cheapo) side of the building. Also noticed windows on Lakes street for that restaurant space. Saw framing for the middle retail windows too. Maybe we will see the retail portion open before Christmas!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 11th, 2013, 7:38 am

Really wishing there was more color with this building. Lots of muted gray and beiges and whites. I did notice that they are now putting up some brownish orange panels that kind look like bad fake wood!! YIKES!! Will look later today and see what else is going on. But they are at least getting siding done on all 4 sides of the building. Almost too many textures and bad color combinations going on this thing in my opinion. But maybe when more is up it will get more cohesive.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 11th, 2013, 9:16 am

There are similar wood-like composite panels on The Aloft Hotel downtown. Very durable but inexpensive. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off aesthetically with the Walkway. So far the color composition of the metal paneling looks pretty good IMO, and actually appears more subdued that I thought it would look from the renderings. I'm hoping this project doesn't have the same fate as BKV's Lake and Knox apartment building where the complex use of different facade materials looked good in the rendering, but because of the cheap quality, looked terrible upon completion. So far I think it's doing better.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 11th, 2013, 10:44 am

I think it will be plenty bright when they get that huge multicolor lit awning up over Girard and all the things like the cantilevered hot tub up and running!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 11th, 2013, 11:56 am

I think it will be plenty bright when they get that huge multicolor lit awning up over Girard and all the things like the cantilevered hot tub up and running!
When I spoke to their leasing agent last summer , he told me the awning is using a similar lighting technology to the Target building downtown. Should be great.
Fotoapparatic, If you by chance go by The Walkway in the near future, can you give us any insight into that wood-like composite material they are facing the Girard side with? Would be fun to know more about it. Thanks! :)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 11th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Sure, I'll probably be in the area sometime this weekend. I didn't see any of that the last time I was around, they had metal up on the trim and such, they're moving fast now! (at least on the things we can see!)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 11th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Walked by this afternoon and to me it looks like that laminated fake wood or an IKEA put together desk. I know it is different material, but in my opinion that is what it reminded me of. One other plus though if fotoapparaciate can get a pic of the back side of the building from about Emerson and Lake you can see what I thought were Blue metal panels on the upper floor, there were only a few so I was not sure if it was really blue or just appeared that way. But that do hopefully mean some interesting looks from the back side as you come from the east.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on October 11th, 2013, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 11th, 2013, 4:29 pm

For me, I want to see how the wood composite panels looks when its completed in its entirety (on the Girard side) before I make an opinion. I'm thinking it will create a better visual effect than what you currently see. It will have a very contemporary feel.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 12th, 2013, 3:28 pm

yeah... I don't think they're wood, but I don't know what they are, maybe some sort of laminate? the store fronts are going in with some cool brass fittings!

pictures:
https://db.tt/FaPPU2jb

https://db.tt/xqlmfysl

https://db.tt/PNDXRj1G

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 12th, 2013, 3:44 pm

I like how the 4 store fronts are slightly angle to the street and gives it some visual energy. Did you see the back side where the blue panels were?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 12th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Thanks for the pics Fotoapparatic! I actually like the fake wood panels as they make a nice warm color contrast, but I get how it may be hard to get past the association with cheap wood laminate. This is a problem with so much contemporary architecture and the use of materials for the exterior. They are durable but sort of cheap looking.

mrcity

Postby mrcity » October 12th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Well, that's a definate plus. My mom used to say good windows/frames were to to architecture what nice shoes are for personal fashion. No matter the concept or building design, if the doors and windows aren't of a high quality, it doesn't work.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2013, 8:37 am

The fake wood panels are progressing toward Hennepin at a good pace. There will be noticeable differences if someone were to compare last weekends pics to this comings pic. Also there is definitely blue vertical panels going up on the east, (backside), of the building. They will be continuing use of the beige metal siding with the dark gray cement board used on the back side to compliment the blue. Majority of the windows on the ground and mezzanine floors are in and waiting for what ever type of siding to finish that level off with.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 21st, 2013, 5:46 pm

OurUptown.com said today that the Walkway is projecting to open up in December. They did not say if that was just the apartments or if some of the restaurants/retail will be open before Christmas as well.

Site also has some great pics of the progress on the site!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 21st, 2013, 6:41 pm

A restaurant named "Coup d'État" will serve Mediterranean inspired food and is supposed to open up in "winter 2013", according to their website. It will anchor the northern side of the complex on Lagoon and Girard.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 21st, 2013, 7:00 pm

Looks like one of the restaurants is entirely private. Odd. I assume it will be a partnership with another restaurant in the building or have limited hours, otherwise that is one expensive amenity for the building.

http://www.thewalkway.com/private-restaurant-bar-2/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.