The Knoll - (1101 University Avenue Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Unity77
Landmark Center

The Knoll - (1101 University Avenue Southeast)

Postby Unity77 » June 4th, 2012, 9:49 pm

* Proposed
* 94 Units
* 5 stories
* Developer - Doran Cos.
* Scheduled to begin construction this summer and be complete for the beginning of the 2013 school year.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: 1101 University Ave. SE (University Lutheran Chapel site

Postby Nick » June 4th, 2012, 10:54 pm

I believe this was scuttled by CPED?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 4th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Correct. The commission recommended pretty much all Doran's requests for variances to be denied. I think it'll be going back to the drawing board.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 12th, 2012, 4:05 am

Looks like CPED wants every unit to have a parking spot:
5. 1101 University (BZZ-5611, Ward: 3), 1101 University Ave SE (Janelle Widmeier).

Staff report

A. Variance: Application by Jim LaValle with Doran Development LLC for a variance to reduce the minimum lot area requirement by 27.7 percent for a new multiple-family dwelling with 101 dwelling units located at the property of 1101 University Ave SE.

Recommended Motion: The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development – Planning Division recommends that the City Planning Commission adopt the findings and deny the variance to reduce the minimum lot area requirement by 27.7 percent located at the property located at 1101 University Ave SE.

B. Variance: Application by Jim LaValle with Doran Development LLC for a variance to reduce the minimum parking requirement from 113 to 79 spaces for the property located at 1101 University Ave SE.

Recommended Motion: The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development – Planning Division recommends that the City Planning Commission adopt the findings and deny the variance to reduce the minimum parking requirement from 113 to 79 spaces at the property of 1101 University Ave SE.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meeting ... S1P-095608

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » July 12th, 2012, 6:45 am

What is the deal with one parking spot for each unit in these core areas? I'm assuming the overwhelming majority of tenants in this building would be students or people otherwise affiliated with the U of M. What would be the need for everyone to have a car?

I just don't think that the city has a particularly clear vision when it comes to parking and mass transit. If they're pushing more for the population to use mass transit options and to live closer to where they work, etc., it seems silly to hold up otherwise acceptiable projects for parking variances (see Pillsbury A Mill redevelopment and others).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 12th, 2012, 7:47 am

Does that make this a dead deal, or will the developer adapt?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 12th, 2012, 1:03 pm

This is the key sentence from the report:

By eliminating a level of below-grade parking, the amount of proposed parking would be reduced from
119 spaces to 79 spaces. Generally, the minimum parking requirement is one space per unit. In the
UA overlay district, 0.5 spaces per bedroom, but not less than one space per dwelling unit, is required.
A total of 226 bedrooms are proposed. Therefore, 113 spaces are required. A variance is required to
reduce the minimum parking requirement from 113 to 79 spaces.

They're acknowledging, correctly, I think, that a student unit is not the same as a regular dwelling unit. A four bedroom student apartment likely has (at least) four people living in it, but each of the four people is likely a separate household that may (or may not) own their own car. What percentage of students do we think have cars? Is it 1/3 or 1/2 or something else?

In luxury apartment buildings, the developers overbuild parking because it increases the value of the units. In student apartment buildings, the developers build as little as possible because they have a good location with a captured market of people who will park blocks away (and make the cost of parking someone else's problem).

mulad

Postby mulad » July 13th, 2012, 8:48 am

It would be nice if they could come back with a plan to include a car-sharing service. I think the guess of 1/2 of students having cars is probably about right, but many of those are only used once a week for the grocery run.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 18th, 2012, 2:17 am

It would be nice if they could come back with a plan to include a car-sharing service. I think the guess of 1/2 of students having cars is probably about right, but many of those are only used once a week for the grocery run.
Do you really think it is that high at the U? I'm having a tough time believing that 50% of students at the U have cars. Maybe I'm more out of touch with Minnesota than I thought, but I would have guessed 20 or 25%.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 18th, 2012, 6:31 am

Do you really think it is that high at the U? I'm having a tough time believing that 50% of students at the U have cars. Maybe I'm more out of touch with Minnesota than I thought, but I would have guessed 20 or 25%.
Almost no freshmen have cars. It increases each year...by senior year, I'd imagine half is about right. Especially among the kind of students who are living in these apartments to begin with.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 18th, 2012, 6:43 am

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/07/18/devel ... lding-site
Development in the works at Dinkytown’s UTEC building site

An apartment complex with three commercial spaces could replace the University Technology Enterprise Center which houses several businesses in Dinkytown.

By Callie Sacarelos July 18, 2012

Apartments could replace the UTEC building — and its many small businesses — in Dinkytown by 2014.

The University Technology Enterprise Center currently houses 95 businesses and nonprofit organizations at Fifth Street and 14th Avenue Southeast, including the Minnesota Public Interest Research Group, The Wake student magazine and Computer Mega Mall.

The new mixed-use building would feature 336 residential units and three ground-floor commercial spaces, one of which would be a grocery store, said Kimberly Holien, a Minneapolis city planner.

[...]
95 businesses and non-profits? Might be worth exploring some way to keep most of them around campus.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » July 18th, 2012, 8:21 am

Almost no freshmen have cars. It increases each year...by senior year, I'd imagine half is about right. Especially among the kind of students who are living in these apartments to begin with.
Hmm. I've tried looking at the year 2000 census data related to car ownership in the area to get an answer, but it all seems pretty bogus. I guess the census must place students in their home ZIP codes rather than in their dorms/apartments. 55414, which loops around campus from Old St. Anthony through the Como neighborhood and back down to Prospect Park, actually shows a slightly higher rate of car availability than the rest of the city (about 83% rather than 81% city-wide) There isn't much data on actual ownership or possession -- just whether or not a household has access to a car (or 2, or "3 or more").

The 55455 ZIP, covering most of the campus area, only showed 7 households for the car-availability tables I looked at. Useless...

The 55454 ZIP (West Bank/Cedar Riverside) gives the most interesting data, saying that only about 55% of households have access to cars, but that includes Riverside Plaza and other low-income housing (er, I presume -- I guess I don't quite know what the other towers in the area are).

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 18th, 2012, 11:04 am

Yes, the towers just south of Riverside Plaza are Minneapolis Public Housing Authority.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » July 18th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Update:

* Project is called the Knoll
* Doran plans to break ground in August
* 101 units

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 18th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Hmm. I've tried looking at the year 2000 census data related to car ownership in the area to get an answer, but it all seems pretty bogus. I guess the census must place students in their home ZIP codes rather than in their dorms/apartments. 55414, which loops around campus from Old St. Anthony through the Como neighborhood and back down to Prospect Park, actually shows a slightly higher rate of car availability than the rest of the city (about 83% rather than 81% city-wide) There isn't much data on actual ownership or possession -- just whether or not a household has access to a car (or 2, or "3 or more").

The 55455 ZIP, covering most of the campus area, only showed 7 households for the car-availability tables I looked at. Useless...

The 55454 ZIP (West Bank/Cedar Riverside) gives the most interesting data, saying that only about 55% of households have access to cars, but that includes Riverside Plaza and other low-income housing (er, I presume -- I guess I don't quite know what the other towers in the area are).
If I remember the 2010 Census push correctly, I think they were trying to count us as on campus and not at parents' houses. The 55455 ZIP is basically only campus, including residence halls. Not sure what the seven households they found even are. The 55414 ZIP is the Marcy-Holmes/SE Como area, and while many individual students don't have cars, it'd be pretty hard to find a carless house with four students living in it. That's hard to count because financially you really have four households but they're all in one house and probably being counted together. Sort of like when you have one refrigerator for four or more people but your roommates try to shop as individuals for a month at a time :P . Freezer space/parking is hard to come by.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » July 20th, 2012, 12:22 pm

If I remember the 2010 Census push correctly, I think they were trying to count us as on campus and not at parents' houses. The 55455 ZIP is basically only campus, including residence halls. Not sure what the seven households they found even are. The 55414 ZIP is the Marcy-Holmes/SE Como area, and while many individual students don't have cars, it'd be pretty hard to find a carless house with four students living in it. That's hard to count because financially you really have four households but they're all in one house and probably being counted together. Sort of like when you have one refrigerator for four or more people but your roommates try to shop as individuals for a month at a time :P . Freezer space/parking is hard to come by.

I may have double posted this, if so, disregard.

I am a civil engineering major at the U. I live in SE Como with 5 other guys, and probably to your surprise, I am the only one WITHOUT a car. In fact, one roommate has two cars, so there is a 1:1 car/person ratio. Of course there is bias since we are all male, white (with the exception of one), and come from middle class families. Point being, I would not be shocked if the true percentage of students with cars was up near the 50% range, OR HIGHER!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 21st, 2012, 9:54 pm

Meh, anecdotes don't equal data. I'm a EE major at the U, living in stadium village with 3 other guys. We're all white, middle-class males, and none of us have cars during the school year (during summer, with internships, two of us do). My guess is that the car ownership rate, averaged out among all students, is ~35%, skewing higher among older students.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 2nd, 2012, 7:35 am

I was on campus on Tuesday and noticed that the church on this site is being demo'd. Guess they figure something will work out with it.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » August 2nd, 2012, 10:35 am

I was on campus on Tuesday and noticed that the church on this site is being demo'd. Guess they figure something will work out with it.
It'll be unfortunate to see those old trees go down on their lawn facing University.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 2nd, 2012, 3:32 pm

A lot of the grand oaks in the area have been falling to development.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.