Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: The Interchange (At Target Field)

Postby MNdible » July 6th, 2012, 12:20 pm

the project management/construction is knutson who headquarter in st louis park. that local enough for you?
I'm glad that a local contractor got the job; it's just frustrating that they'd go to a big NYC firm with no particular specialization when there's plenty of local talent that could have very easily handled this project.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » July 6th, 2012, 12:54 pm

MNDible: Check out the company's website. They have amazing designs for a $300 million Intermodal station in Houston that dwarfs our Target Field station.

To say they don't have experience is just not accurate.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 6th, 2012, 2:48 pm

I didn't say that they don't have experience; I'm not suggesting that they're unqualified. I said that they're no more capable than any number of local firms to undertake this project.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » July 6th, 2012, 5:02 pm

I didn't say that they don't have experience; I'm not suggesting that they're unqualified. I said that they're no more capable than any number of local firms to undertake this project.
Either way, I'm sure that NY firm will laugh at the comparisons to Grand Central.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 7th, 2012, 10:53 am

The groundbreaking ceremony is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. July 9 at the old Environmental Services Building, 417 N. Fifth St., Minneapolis.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 9th, 2012, 3:10 pm

It's the first time I've seen this rendering, but totally is a little easier to 'digest.' Easier to see how everything lays out. Lots of future potential for this site and area, should serve it's function for the mean time.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 9th, 2012, 9:49 pm

I totally don't understand how it functions, but oh well.

Also, this is an amazing opportunity for the city to really showcase its "artsy" stereotype and create something truly unique and iconic here, and I'm just not seeing that from the images I've seen thus far. Time will tell....as always.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 10th, 2012, 10:38 am

I like the station cover, and I think this is the phase 1 simplicity that we're seeing. If the hotel/services building is done like the rendering it could be pretty cool. It also seems that they are squaring off the intersection of 5th st and 6th ave there which will be nice and more urban feeling, especially if we get some cool development west of the Ford building.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 10th, 2012, 12:10 pm

I made a little diagram of how I think this is to lay out, and some of what I'd like to see :)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 45c711049e
This should be visible to all, including non facebook users! It said it was too big to display.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 10th, 2012, 12:31 pm

I am disappointed that there is not bus transfer center. Everyone has to walk farther to catch a bus.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

pfreyre
City Center

Postby pfreyre » July 23rd, 2012, 10:40 am

Short progress update: I haven't seen much happening yet, but the catenary wires between the in-use tracks and the out-of-service stub-end tracks have been disconnected. This project is slowly getting underway!

mulad

Postby mulad » August 3rd, 2012, 5:51 pm

The Interchange folks have sent out a newsletter update saying that Knutson has been doing site-clearing and interior demolition since July 30th. The building is set to start coming down on August 13th.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » August 4th, 2012, 11:05 pm

It's the first time I've seen this rendering, but totally is a little easier to 'digest.' Easier to see how everything lays out. Lots of future potential for this site and area, should serve it's function for the mean time.
Here's another similar rendering. I agree the angle from above makes it easier to see what's going on.

Also two links to videos,

1. This one cleared up my confusion as to how things stacked together. Despite being outdated it still gives some perspective:
http://vimeo.com/37343994 (Can I embed vimeo?)

2. And for anyone who want's to hear straight from the source Don Samuels (5th Ward Mlps.) gives a basic outline of the project from the Groundbreaking (posted jul. 9th):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkz82CJMtAo[/youtube]

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 6th, 2012, 9:46 am

Also two links to videos,

1. This one cleared up my confusion as to how things stacked together. Despite being outdated it still gives some perspective:
http://vimeo.com/37343994
Thanks! That video was really helpful for me in picturing it all together.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 10th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Double demo day in the North Loop - the County office building on the Interchange site is coming down, as is the warehouse on the Third North site.
"Who rescued whom!"

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 16th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Cool news: Knutson has three webcams up for the construction! Hopefully this starts to become a more regular thing.

http://oxblue.com/open/knutson/interchange

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 16th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Thanks for linking to the construction cam - everyone who like me thought that the existing structure was just a cheap 60s office building should check out the photos of the exposed concrete frame. Maybe I'm mistaken, but this thing looks solid. There's some thick mushroom-cap columns holding it up. I had no idea it was this old - you can see it across from the Ford factory in this '38 aerial:

http://geo.lib.umn.edu/minneapolis/y1938/MP-3-213.jpg

There is an ad for some garage on the concrete frame on the north side of the building - not sure if that is captured in any of the construction cams but you can the small remnant of the brick cladding if you check Angle 3 from today.

I'm not an expert in these things but it seems like the sort of structure you could use for parking cars in. The brick exterior could be replicated on the third floor and used for a pre-game restaurant. Instead they will tear it down, build a new concrete frame, and rebuild the retail 150' away.
"Who rescued whom!"

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » August 16th, 2012, 7:48 pm

I noticed today while entering downtown on the 4th street ramp that there is painted signs on the older structure. Up in the corner clearly said 'Oil Filters'. Other signs weren't readable, but I had no clue the building was that old. Too bad, another one bites the dust.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 16th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Another fantastic ariel photo redesciple. Shows the transition of the Oak Lake neighborhood to the market like I've never seen before!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 17th, 2012, 9:44 am

Perhaps you will hate me for sharing this link because of all the time you will spend here:

http://map.lib.umn.edu/mhapo/

It's worth clicking through all of the aerials from Oak Lake through the North Loop to the river - it's amazing to see the transformation and surprising lack of transformation in places.
"Who rescued whom!"