mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby mullen » October 18th, 2013, 6:29 am

stockman
Block E

Postby stockman » October 18th, 2013, 11:45 am

The fact that they can't even to traffic calming on park and portland for one block is a total failure and weak. The city and especially the county should be encouraging this rather than just having a bunch of old county engineers knee-jerkingly reject anything people-friendly. Have they even considered an assessment of what this means for the safety of park users and pedestrians? I am puzzled as to why the city isn't pushing Ryan and the County to consider at least the most basic elements of reducing speed and capacity for cars in this area.

Its also totally disheartening to see the skyways being extended even farther across downtown. Whatever happened to Mayor Rybak's statement that downtown doesn't need anymore skyways?

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » October 18th, 2013, 11:53 am

Being plans no longer call for the closure of Park and Portland, why not just scrap the park plans all together? Having two, small parks (one will be less than an acre and the other about 2.5 acres) and a plaza separated by two busy streets doesn't make any sense and could end up being dangerous. This will turn out worse than Gold Medal Park.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 18th, 2013, 12:27 pm

The level of hand-wringing and sky-is-falling-shouting on this forum sometimes astounds me.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 18th, 2013, 12:28 pm

MNdible...I couldn't agree more! I hardly post anymore because more often than not, it just doesn't seem worth trying to contribute reasonably.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » October 18th, 2013, 12:54 pm

The level of hand-wringing and sky-is-falling-shouting on this forum sometimes astounds me.
:roll: Just like you, everyone is entitled the their opinion. I think it's a foolish idea to leave the streets open and imo, the decision will affect the success of having a park there.
MNdible...I couldn't agree more! I hardly post anymore because more often than not, it just doesn't seem worth trying to contribute reasonably.
Very few are reasonable on this site. It's either agree with the masses or don't comment.

Scott16475
City Center

Postby Scott16475 » October 18th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Count me in as a member of the "Close the Streets Through the Park!" club (CTSTTP for short). I absolutely hate that they are keeping them open. I now have a 'why bother' kind of attitude when it comes to building the park. Sorry, guys.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 18th, 2013, 1:30 pm

The thing is, everybody's got their own opinions, and no project is going to perfectly align itself with the desires/opinions of anybody, let alone everybody. The result is a chorus of OMG HOW COME THEY DON'T GET IT, and it gets old. I'm not suggesting that your opinion is even wrong -- just that it might benefit from some of the breathlessness being dialed back a couple of notches.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 18th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Very few are reasonable on this site. It's either agree with the masses or don't comment.
Yep, exactly...unfortunately.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 18th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Let Congress decide ;)

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » October 18th, 2013, 3:00 pm

so it sounds like the residential portions of the two towers, on the northern side of the blocks (the side not facing the park), was never intended for phase 1.

I've updated my google earth model. We've heard a few numbers on height. The latest is 301 feet. The model reflects that. However, it does include the 'phase 2' apartments on the north sides of the towers (the side not facing the new park). It does not include the new apartments included in 'phase 1.'
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... fee25a7f45

*EDIT* - I've added the new apartment building to my google earth model. There are some awesome details concerning height/measurements in the latest release of renderings. It really helped me get everything fairly precise.
Last edited by m b p on October 18th, 2013, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 18th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I would agree that a lot of this has gotten exhausting. However, (admittedly snarky) moderation has been met with mixed reviews. You know that old Martin Niemöller quote: "First they came for the message board commenters..."
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » October 18th, 2013, 4:47 pm

I don't see why a one-block park here is such a disappointment, but it's A-OK by the library.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2013, 7:06 pm

I don't see why a one-block park here is such a disappointment, but it's A-OK by the library.
I'm make a second on that statement. Mears Park and Rice parks in St. Paul are two of the best urban parks the metro area, and they are each one block and smaller blocks than the MPLS blocks. There are roads that run thru Central Park in NYC so that is not a good argument.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 18th, 2013, 7:08 pm

I just had to make a smart alek comment on the Star Tribune article tonight. I couldn't help myself.

Orbi
Block E

Postby Orbi » October 18th, 2013, 7:22 pm

I guess I would prefer if one or both streets were closed for the sake of the park but its not like it cann't be done at a later date after the stadium and development are done if it seems to make sense.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 18th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Sidebar: This is maybe unfortunate, right?

Vikes Skyway by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » October 18th, 2013, 7:53 pm

I hope that this isn't going to happen - we already have that horrible two block skyway on Washington. I would hope that if there would be a skyway that it would be a better design.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 18th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Was this the skyway the MFSA was considering eliminating due to budget constraints?

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » October 18th, 2013, 8:37 pm

What is the feasibility of creating a bridge that humps over park and portland that acts as a connector/virtual hill. I think it could be pretty cool (and expensive).