Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mulad

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby mulad » October 21st, 2013, 7:16 pm

Given the report that there was some powered testing in downtown St. Paul over the weekend, I took a look at the overhead lines after work -- they seem to be mostly tensioned through downtown now, but the section between the Central station and Union Depot station still needs some work. In particular, there were still some pulleys holding up wire for the double-crossover right by TPT -- the straight-through wire seemed okay, but the contact wires for trains actually making crossover moves was not in place yet.

I took a ride down University Avenue on my way home, and pulleys are still holding up the contact/catenary wires from Rice Street station west to near Chatsworth, so there hasn't been a whole lot of obvious work on that stretch.

web

Postby web » October 21st, 2013, 9:01 pm

[quote="LRV Op Dude"]Metro Transit buses training on the new Washington Ave Transit Mall at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, MN. The buses will be running on the Metro Green Line right of way through the campus area.

gonna be a nightmare for the people who ignore red lights

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » October 23rd, 2013, 8:09 am

They are jackhammering out some concrete in the westbound outside travel lane of Washington Avenue at Church Street this morning. Not sure what's prompting the repair work, but it will probably put a stop to the bus training (at least westbound) on the WATM for a few days at least.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 24th, 2013, 9:42 am

I have moved the conversation about University Avenue lane modifcation/reduction to a separate topic: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1646

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby Wedgeguy » October 24th, 2013, 3:44 pm

They have started testing for the vibration tests for the NPR building on Cedar. They now have trains stationed in St. Paul for downtown testing. To the best of my knowledge they have not started testing north of 94 to the track around the Capital complex.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 28th, 2013, 9:04 am

Here is a presentation for tonight's Transportation Committee meeting:

http://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meeting ... CCLRT.aspx

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 28th, 2013, 10:10 am

So I drove down University form 280 into downtown on Friday.

The thing that stood out to me is how *ugly* those St. Paul catenary poles are! The poles themselves are fine, but because the catenary arms are a silverish metal color, it contrasts horribly with the dark, "vintage" look poles. Looks completely hodge-podge. I'm actually glad Minneapolis has the modern industrial-looking poles.

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » October 29th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Here is a presentation for tonight's Transportation Committee meeting:

http://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meeting ... CCLRT.aspx

Looking at slide 9 of 25, does anyone know if they are ever going to cover the mesh wire? I thought it was covered in the original renderings but it has been like this for 6-12 months so now I'm wondering if that's just the look.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 3rd, 2013, 12:31 pm

For those interested, the vacant retail space right in front of the Westgate station, between Snap Fitness and Dunn Bros., will now be occupied by a head shop.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 3rd, 2013, 3:07 pm

You mean a tobacco shop, right? At least in my mind, that's quite a bit different from a head shop.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 3rd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Well there's display cases filled with glass pipes and bongs, so whatever you want to call that.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 3rd, 2013, 8:03 pm

I guess it's a fine line between the two. Are they selling pee cleaner?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 3rd, 2013, 9:33 pm

Haha, I hope so! It's not open yet. They've been renovating an old yoga studio for the past several days so I was interested to see what it would be. Definitely not what I was expecting. It will be a primo space when the train starts, too, right across the street from the eastbound train.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » November 4th, 2013, 1:06 am

Vertical Circulation tower from last weekend:
Central Station Skyway by MSPdude, on Flickr

One of the mosaics at 10th St. Station
10th St. Station Art by MSPdude, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 4th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » November 5th, 2013, 8:55 am

Electronic message signs are up at the East Bank station, and they have (unsurprisingly) the words 'East Bank' on them. All that really seems to be missing from most of the stops are the card readers and TVMs.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 5th, 2013, 8:59 am

I saw that yesterday. I know we've discussed this before, but the NexTrip system is supposed to be up and running for trains by the time the Green Line opens next year, right?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 5th, 2013, 9:20 am

I saw that yesterday. I know we've discussed this before, but the NexTrip system is supposed to be up and running for trains by the time the Green Line opens next year, right?
Heh, it was "supposed to" be up for the opening of the Hiawatha Line in 2004, according to the contracts signed in 1999. I'll believe it when I see signs displaying real-time wait times.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 5th, 2013, 11:48 am

According to the most recent "Making Tracks" email blast:

Service will begin in mid-2014 before July’s Major League All-Star game at Target Field. The outcome of LRV testing will determine the opening date.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » November 5th, 2013, 12:42 pm

They also confirmed that buses will return to Washington Ave on Dec. 7. There is a website up about bus service on Washington:
http://www.metrotransit.org/washington

I wonder if the 16/50 will temporarily turn on Oak to reach University. Otherwise they will have to set up some temporary bus stops near Oak. Of course once the Green Line opens, the 16 will terminate at Oak and University (except overnights) and the 50 will be gone. Since the East Bank will have only 2 bus stops for the most part, I hope they invest on some improvements to the facilities at the Oak St. stop.

Also mentioned in the article is that bike boxes will be painted on Washington Ave. at Church, Union, Harvard and Walnut
My flickr photos.