MSP Airport / Metropolitan Airports Commission

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: MSP Airport

Postby Tyler » October 25th, 2013, 7:33 pm

I don't have huge disagreements with what you're saying -- but remember, it's not just the length of the long haul flight which matters. Even to HKG, for most of DL's network, it's more efficient to connect through MSP vs SEA.
Towns!

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » October 25th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Entirely true for anything in Central or Eastern time. My main argument was just for range - getting over 7000 miles at this point can sometimes require a lot of airplane and might be too costly with fuel/seat capacity. When Delta starts receiving its B787s in 2020, that probably is when they'll have aircraft that can have the range to get to places like HKG economically - especially if progress has been made on improving the international terminals by then.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 25th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Sure, there are advantages to SEA. I think they are planning on using a 332 to HKG. MSP would require a 747 or 772 at this point. So that's a definite advantage.

I guess my point, (and I believe MNdible's), is that given location, domestic network, potential future facilities, and projected future strength of local economies, I would strongly bet on MSP cutting into and eventually overtaking DTW's status as a DL transpac hub.
Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 25th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Do flights to Asia from around here (MSP or Detroit) go West over the Pacific or North over the Arctic?

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » October 25th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Do flights to Asia from around here (MSP or Detroit) go West over the Pacific or North over the Arctic?
Both. It fully depends on the departure and arrival station.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 25th, 2013, 8:51 pm

They don't go over the pacific much. MSP-NRT stays right along the coast all the way up to southern Alaska before leaving land over the bering sea, clipping a bit of the Pacific on the way to Japan. Most other destinations would have an even more northernly route. I flew DTW-HKG several times, which was routed through the arctic.
Towns!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 26th, 2013, 8:08 am

Not sure if Seattle's weather would play anything with their fog and rainy weather conditions. I know they are now more automated, but as we know weather can definitely affect flight schedules. We have snow they have fog and rain. Not sure how much consideration that would have.

jaboyd1
Block E

Postby jaboyd1 » October 26th, 2013, 10:48 am

Sure, there are advantages to SEA. I think they are planning on using a 332 to HKG. MSP would require a 747 or 772 at this point. So that's a definite advantage.

I guess my point, (and I believe MNdible's), is that given location, domestic network, potential future facilities, and projected future strength of local economies, I would strongly bet on MSP cutting into and eventually overtaking DTW's status as a DL transpac hub.
Realistically SEA and DTW serve different purposes as Asian gateways. SEA serves the west, a region that realistically cannot be served via DTW or MSP due to the options already available in the region. DTW-Asia is significantly larger than MSP-Asia and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. The only advantage MSP holds is better connectivity to areas like the Upper Midwest, which don't really generate a lot of Asia-bound traffic. The way it is set up now, DTW serves the East Coast (the primary O&D generator East of the Mississippi) and SEA serves the West Coast (the primary O&D generator period.) SEA also gives them the advantage of flying to places like HKG and TPE that just wouldn't work out of DTW or MSP. SEA is not competing with MSP, DTW is.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 6th, 2013, 10:25 am

Jeff Hamiel was on MPR yesterday discussing future expansion plans.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 6th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Both. It fully depends on the departure and arrival station.

Already answered, but you can see the direct "Great Circle" route between cities on this website: http://www.gcmap.com/

For instance, MSP-NRT as advertised goes along the coast: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MSP-NRT

JFK-NRT however is much closer to the pole: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=JFK-NRT

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 19th, 2013, 10:11 pm

German airline Condor is starting twice-weekly service between MSP and Frankfurt.
http://www.condor.com/ibe/cfi/de/offers ... rture=1406

I think some people may have expected Lufthansa to enter the market at some point, but not Condor. So this is cool.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 19th, 2013, 10:23 pm

That's pretty sweet.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » December 20th, 2013, 1:21 am

Cool, always nice to see a new carrier at MSP, especially international. There doesn't seem to be a news release yet, but according to wikipedia (take a pinch of salt!), service starts June 26th, and it will operate with 767-300ERs out of the Humphrey Terminal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condor_Flu ... stinations

So next summer we will have the following International Airlines:
Air Canada (Jazz, a regional partner) to Toronto
Air France (most likely will return?) to Paris
Icelandair to Reykjavík
Condor to Frankfurt

Still not exactly a diverse collection, but improving.
My flickr photos.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 20th, 2013, 7:05 am

It's bookable on their site. whoever added it to Wikipedia took liberty with the equipment and terminal but they're nearly certain to be correct.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » December 20th, 2013, 11:57 am

Well, I guess you could say that I took the liberty regaurding the equipment. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but according to Wikipedia (again!), it is the only plane in their fleet with the legs to operate FRA-MSP. :)
My flickr photos.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 20th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Upon a google search it was mentioned that the 767 would be serving this route.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » December 20th, 2013, 2:10 pm

I figure I would post the link from the Star Tribune.

"New airline coming to MSP, bringing only nonstop service to Germany"

"A new airline is coming to the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and will offer Twin Cities travelers their only nonstop service to Germany, the European Union’s most populous nation.

Condor Airlines will fly between the Twin Cities and Frankfurt on Mondays and Thursdays (one departure and one arrival each day) starting June 26, 2014, through Sept. 11, 2014, the Frankfurt-based airline announced Friday."

http://www.startribune.com/local/236754361.html

Seems pretty cool! However I just would like major events like this to stop happening on the 26th my ex's birthday. Whenever I get her out of my mind it seems the cosmic stars align to have me notice this day. Side note if the Green line is announced to start on the 26th of June as well my jaw will drop to the floor.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 20th, 2013, 2:50 pm

The Business Journal has it listed as a Boeing 767-300s.

"German leisure airline Condor will offer service to and from Frankfurt Airport each Monday and Thursday on a Boeing 767-300. The flights start on June 26 and end on Sept. 11."

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... rmany.html

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 20th, 2013, 3:20 pm

So Condor is a "leisure" airline and I'm guessing that means fewer first class seats? Anybody know about how long the flight would be?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 20th, 2013, 3:24 pm

I would imagine they're cashing in on the Europe vacation market, competing with Delta, Airfrance, Icelandair, etc..

Here's a seat map: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/762/Condo ... 757-300ER/