Third North - (800 Third Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Third North - (800 Third Street North)

Postby woofner » August 8th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Internal demolition is underway, and the ring of jersey barriers and pair of excavators parked outside makes me think that they'll start pulling it down any day now.

http://www.sr-re.com/development/our-de ... rojects/11
"Who rescued whom!"

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: Third North

Postby mplser » August 8th, 2012, 1:20 pm

I know some people might say the rendering looks boring or whatever but it will at least be a HUGE improvement over what is there right now.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 8th, 2012, 1:27 pm

I think it's the kind of architecture that can easily be accomplised well, and fit into the neighborhood with a modern feel.

And YES! so much better than what is there now. This is exactly what we need to keep fueling this and future urban neighborhoods.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 8th, 2012, 1:44 pm

This one does look pretty ugly. And while the building that is there is certainly nothing special at all, i do wish this was filling one of the nearby massive surface lots. Also, any word on what will happen to the old HGA HQ a block down and on Washington? It is just sitting there vacant now it would appear.

PS, in order for this "neighborhood" to really take off, I really feel like its necessary for the city to totally reconstruct the streets in this area. They are barely streets anymore. New streets, lights and sidewalks would make it so much more desirable and less derilict looking. Preferably in brick or with brick accents so as to keep some of the character.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 8th, 2012, 1:59 pm

I know some people might say the rendering looks boring or whatever but it will at least be a HUGE improvement over what is there right now.
True, but I think we'd all prefer this go up on a nearby vacant lot instead. That in and of itself isn't much to complain about. Just wishful thinking.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 8th, 2012, 2:08 pm

This one does look pretty ugly. And while the building that is there is certainly nothing special at all, i do wish this was filling one of the nearby massive surface lots. Also, any word on what will happen to the old HGA HQ a block down and on Washington? It is just sitting there vacant now it would appear.

PS, in order for this "neighborhood" to really take off, I really feel like its necessary for the city to totally reconstruct the streets in this area. They are barely streets anymore. New streets, lights and sidewalks would make it so much more desirable and less derilict looking. Preferably in brick or with brick accents so as to keep some of the character.
I like that idea (the cobblestone or brick streets)!

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 8th, 2012, 3:08 pm

HGA moved?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 8th, 2012, 3:10 pm

HGA moved?
Yep. To the Ford Center. The old HQ is for lease/sale.
Last edited by Tyler on August 8th, 2012, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Towns!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 8th, 2012, 3:14 pm

This one does look pretty ugly. And while the building that is there is certainly nothing special at all, i do wish this was filling one of the nearby massive surface lots.
I've wondered how big of an obstacle the creek is to developing those lots. Anyone know if its just a relatively minor consideration or something more?
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 8th, 2012, 3:53 pm

The rendering makes the building look like a North Korean housing project. They can't be serious?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 8th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Oh. Really. North Korea? Yeah. You really hit the nail on the head there.

It may be simple, but often that's the type of architecture that ages slower. And it does seem to have cool features. The cladding is unique, None of that cement board that everyone hates. It's nothing crazy cool, but it is FAR from ugly or north korea or even the actual ugliness that is the prospect place apartments or whatever they're called now.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 8th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Well, maybe it's a little better than that. How about a North Korean housing project for elite party officials?? ;)

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 9th, 2012, 5:13 am

Well, maybe it's a little better than that. How about a North Korean housing project for elite party officials?? ;)
Isn't that what Kenwood is :lol:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 9th, 2012, 11:31 am

What they need to do is break up the massing and give the building some variation in shape and materials to give it some visual interest. It looks so severe and monolithic its almost comical. Joseph Stalin meets the North Loop!

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 9th, 2012, 12:19 pm

what can you even say?????

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 9th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I could say I'm excited that another developer is building a large infill apartment building in the core of our city, and while it's not a Pelli or Calatrava, it probably isn't quite P'Yong'Yang-chic.

I'd reckon we're starting to approach the territory where apartments just starting construction are still a good bet, but are certainly less of a sure thing for easy leasing than Flux or other recently-completed projects. So thank you, private developers, for taking a risk and investing in my city.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 9th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Oh , come on. Surely the developer can come up with a better design than that. They are creating a barely mediocre project with a barest minimum of aesthetics to "pass". It's blatantly obvious.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 9th, 2012, 1:07 pm

It depends on the cladding, but this could look ok, IMO. Not a super visible location anyways...

Build it.
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 9th, 2012, 1:26 pm

At some point in the near future, take some time out of your day to look at some other cities on Google Earth. Just pick random places...New York, Boston, Philly, whatever floats your boat. Just zoom into to like the 2 mile distance, and grab the streetview guy on the scroll bar, and plop him anywhere on the map. Chances are, whatever you see is going to be pretty boring. But there are going to be buildings built up to the street, people walking around, little businesses, etc. That's why those cities are great, not because they're full of Dr. Seuss-designed buildings.

But at this point, I'm starting to feel like a broken record myself.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » August 9th, 2012, 2:04 pm

This one does look pretty ugly. And while the building that is there is certainly nothing special at all, i do wish this was filling one of the nearby massive surface lots.
I've wondered how big of an obstacle the creek is to developing those lots. Anyone know if its just a relatively minor consideration or something more?
I have no idea but i'd like to go down there and explore it one day if the water isn't too deep. (I'm a bit more adventurous than some, though.)