[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
buzz
City Center

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby buzz » November 20th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Haha, I have to admit sometimes I go to a restaurant based on the exact location - like when I'm starving & I knowing it's easy to park there . If Lake & Irving has good parking it would probably be on my go to places if the food was good.

"Cluncky + Boring" is an awesome nickname!

twincitizen

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby twincitizen » November 20th, 2013, 10:39 pm

The Rusty Quarters space next to BLB found a new tenant pretty quickly, as promised: http://blogs.citypages.com/dressingroom ... _space.php

twincitizen

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby twincitizen » December 1st, 2013, 11:16 pm

Something has replaced the former Army recruiting storefront between Milio's and Moto-i at Lyn-Lake. I'll have to get a closer look this afternoon.
Ah, here we are, Serendipity Road:
https://www.facebook.com/serendipitympls
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... inneapolis
Minneapolis' Lyn-Lake area is getting a men's and women's boutique addition. The shop will offer a mix of clothing ranging from casual T-shirts to higher-end, raw denim. Jewelry and gift items also are part of the offerings. To find the shop, just look for the mannequin of the centaur -- half man, half horse -- in the window display.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2013, 2:42 pm

(yo)gurt[lab] (aka Yogurt Lab) will open in The Walkway: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... s-new.html

I will definitely be spending some $$ there next summer. I've been to the West Calhoun location and it does not disappoint. I've checked out a few of these froyo joints now and I have to give the edge to Forever Yogurt @ West End for being open til midnight on weekends. Perfect for a post-movie date snack.

Now if Yogurt Lab can drag MyBurger, their West Calhoun neighbor, along with them that would be even better.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » December 10th, 2013, 2:46 pm

(yo)gurt[lab] (aka Yogurt Lab) will open in The Walkway: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... s-new.html
Beat me to the punch! Anyways, the one in the Edge on Oak in Stadium Village is also very good. Both this place and Chilly Billy's in Dinkytown seem to be doing well.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » December 10th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I never knew there were so many other locations! I have just been to the one in the crystal court

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 11th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Agra Culture-
...Agra Culture will serve salads, protein bowls, smoothies and hand-pressed juice. It will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with most entrees in the $7 to $10 range. The menu will have gluten-free and vegan offerings.

...The first Agra Culture location is going into The Walkway development that is almost finished in Uptown, near the intersection of Lagoon Avenue and Girard Avenue. That one will open in early March next door to a new Yogurt Lab.

There goes two retail spaces. What's left, there were four on Girard, one facing Lake and another on Lagoon right?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 12th, 2013, 8:45 am

I never knew there were so many other locations! I have just been to the one in the crystal court
The one by me in Eagan is usually packed. It's become quite a popular teenager hangout.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 12th, 2013, 7:28 pm

I'm glad this area is getting a few smaller, more casual places. Outside of Mesa Pizza there's not many food places where you can just stop in and grab a random bite to eat.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 12th, 2013, 8:42 pm

I saw tonight that the delicious food truck Vellee Deli will open a pop up restaurant next to Crema at 34th and Lyndale.

By pop up, does it typically mean strictly temporary or "let's see how this goes before setting down roots" or both?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 12th, 2013, 9:40 pm

So, does 25th & Hennepin count as Uptown?

A friend went to Nico's Taco Bar, and apparently it's terrible. So there's that.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 12th, 2013, 10:01 pm

So, does 25th & Hennepin count as Uptown?

A friend went to Nico's Taco Bar, and apparently it's terrible. So there's that.
I would agree with that review. Better stuff for less money at Salsa a la Salsa.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 12th, 2013, 11:19 pm

I've been there four times and each meal was all kinds of bad.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 12th, 2013, 11:47 pm

I saw tonight that the delicious food truck Vellee Deli will open a pop up restaurant next to Crema at 34th and Lyndale.

By pop up, does it typically mean strictly temporary or "let's see how this goes before setting down roots" or both?
The pop up will be in Crema, not next to it. Temporary through May, when they'll revert to their truck (or make enough money to start their own bricks and mortar, I'd expect).

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 20th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Wine bar chain eyes Uptown location
A small but growing wine bar chain from Des Moines is eyeing Uptown for its fourth location.
The concept is called Louie's Wine Dive and features a long list of wines plus burgers, comfort food and pastas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ation.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 20th, 2013, 3:34 pm

I went to Nico's last night. Overpriced, sure, but what isn't these days? I didn't think the food was bad at all. The overpriced guacamole was delicious, as was my $10 burrito. Beer and margaritas were priced a little high as well. After one drink, I switched to $3 Pacificos, to the disappointment of my taste buds.

Expensive, but not terrible. No complaints about the service, they were very attentive.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 20th, 2013, 3:49 pm

I checked out Hammer & Sickle on Wednesday night. Not much signage, so it was a little hard to find, but the food and drinks were pretty good. The tab for my wife and I was $118 which is about what I expect when she has 3 $12 cocktails.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 20th, 2013, 4:06 pm

What is their food like? Their website still says 'coming soon' (which is sort of what their space looks like). I love Eastern European food but am wary of Eastern European-inspired food.
"Who rescued whom!"

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 20th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Wine bar chain eyes Uptown location
A small but growing wine bar chain from Des Moines is eyeing Uptown for its fourth location.
The concept is called Louie's Wine Dive and features a long list of wines plus burgers, comfort food and pastas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ation.html

This sounds terrible, at least from my first peek at the menu. Will they have to change their name, like Sauce/Cause had to?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 20th, 2013, 7:38 pm

What is their food like? Their website still says 'coming soon' (which is sort of what their space looks like). I love Eastern European food but am wary of Eastern European-inspired food.
I'd say it's Eastern European. I had stroganoff, my wife had a cabbage roll, we also had some pierogies. They've got borscht. Etc etc.

But I think Moscow on the Hill in St Paul might have a more authentic Eastern European menu. If nothing else, there's is bigger.