Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby Chauncey87 » September 11th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Not to take this to far OT, but I think this news was a large part of why Bloomington was able to get state cash for the parking garage they are going to help build. Glad they are able get the ball rolling or should I say wheels.

Bloomington votes to restore the Old Cedar Avenue bridge

The Bloomington City Council on Monday voted to fix the historic Old Cedar Avenue bridge, ending a 20-year debate about what to do with the key trail link between Hennepin and Dakota counties.

By a 5-2 vote, the council abandoned the city’s longtime goal of replacing the 1920 bridge, choosing instead to rehabilitate it at an estimated cost of $12.7 million.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/223063301.html

Guess the MoA is getting closer and closer to becoming one of the largest mall on earth. :D

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 12th, 2013, 1:29 pm

You see this bridge replacement as a sign that the mall's expansion is impending? What am I missing here?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 12th, 2013, 1:40 pm

IIRC there was some sort of deal back during the legislative session. Bloomington had to fix the bridge, and the state greased the skids for MOA expansion.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » September 12th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Yeah it sounds like Bloomington wanted to replace the bridge and the state didn't. So the state made a deal with the city to throw some cash their way if they refurbished instead of replace, which is what is going to happen now. Or that's how it looks to me.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 11th, 2013, 6:46 am

8 new stores: http://www.startribune.com/business/227289081.html

I wonder if any of these will be in the former Bloomingdale's wing...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 11th, 2013, 10:04 am

And Strib comments once again, never fail to disappoint.
to all you red-blooded guys, if you think that adding 8 more stores for young women to shop in (and buy yoga pants) is NOT a reason to go to MOA then you haven't thought it through

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » November 15th, 2013, 4:01 pm

"Mall of America expansion draws closer"

"After more than two decades, Mall of America’s expansion plans are getting ready to move off the drawing board and into action.

The original vision for the Mall of America was to create a 10 million-square-foot mixed-use development — more than double the mall’s current size at 4.2 million square feet. Mall owners are now proceeding with a $2 billion expansion that will help the mall reclaim its position as one of the largest retail destinations in the world."

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2013/11/mal ... z2kkoC6iGE

Good news! Here is to one hoping they push the rest of the expansion plans to full steam ahead once the shovels hit the dirt on the first phase. However this really does seem like a long drawn out plan that might take the better part of a decade to be fully built. Ten years from now will this mall rank in the top 5 largest in the world? Depends I guess if Asia still wants to build mega malls.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 15th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Further cementing the current location of the Transit Center as a really bad location.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » November 21st, 2013, 12:15 pm

Pretty vague on detail.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 26th, 2013, 11:14 pm

There is now a Barbie dream house on the third floor of the former Bloomingdale's space. That space will be utilized for other traveling exhibits too.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... ll-of.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » December 9th, 2013, 1:52 pm

The Mall of America is beginning to market the new retail space that will be built as part of its Phase 1C expansion on the north side of the property. Construction would start in early January and be completed by fall 2015.

Full article
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... etail.html

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 9th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Does anyone know if the MOA is planning on doing anything signage-wise that will tell people who are entering the mall from I-494 that the Mall of America is behind all of these buildings? I've always wondered why they never did so with the first phase, but now they have another shot at it.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » December 12th, 2013, 12:56 pm

A few new tidbits in that article that hadn't been mentioned before (at least to my knowledge):

--There will be a 2-story parking garage below the 1C expansion.

--The office building pictured in all the renderings is not actually being built at this time.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 12th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Well, if you adhere to the belief that

underground parking > structured parking > surface parking

then that has to be considered a win.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 12th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Is there even the slightest hope of the LRT and transit center being moved to closer to the new center of the mall? Or is that just a pipe dream, as I suspect?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » December 12th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Is there even the slightest hope of the LRT and transit center being moved to closer to the new center of the mall? Or is that just a pipe dream, as I suspect?
In my opinion it is a pipe dream
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 12th, 2013, 5:34 pm

It's really unfortunate we missed the chance to move it to the north side of the mall. It would have leveraged existing major earthworks for the Lindau Lane bridge and the extension/reconfiguration east of 24th Avenue.

mulad

Postby mulad » December 12th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Seeing that giant hole in the ground made me really pissed off that there hadn't been any talk of relocating the station.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 12th, 2013, 11:29 pm

I really think a new transit center is unnecessary. Personally, I believe that the current site (when upgraded) will be very nice. It will provide direct access to the mall, and is closer to some very large parcels that could be redeveloped into office or residential towers in the future. Also the current site is at least somewhat close to the lower income neighborhoods to the south of the mall.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 13th, 2013, 10:25 am

is closer to some very large parcels that could be redeveloped into office or residential towers in the future..
I'm not sure if that's the case anymore, due to MSP rwy 17/35. The property across 24th Ave was originally intended for development or MOA expansion, and then IIRC the MAC had to facilitate some sort of land swap for the Met Center parcel (where Ikea and MOA Phase II+ will be).

There are severe FAA-imposed height restrictions on the property to the east of the MOA. This is also why the old DoubleTree hotel tower was demolished about a decade ago, because it was within the runway exclusion zone.