POLL: Name the Vikings Stadium!

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests

What company would you like to get the naming rights to the new Vikings stadium?

UnitedHealth
1%
Best Buy
4%
Cargill
3%
Supervalu
1%
3M
32%
U.S. Bank
19%
General Mills
18%
Medtronic
4%
Ameriprise
No votes
Other (explain)
18%

Total votes: 78

Nick
Capella Tower

POLL: Name the Vikings Stadium!

Postby Nick » December 9th, 2013, 4:59 pm

It's limited to ten (10) options. Target and Xcel seemed unlikely due to existing commitments, so I didn't include them.

If other, please explain. Kitschy product tie-ins (e.g. Cheerio Bowl, Spam Palace) welcomed/encouraged.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: POLL: Name the Vikings Stadium!

Postby Nick » December 9th, 2013, 5:14 pm

I voted "Other (explain)". I really like the sound of Thrivent Field. Also, it's kind of vague and lots of people (hopefully) wouldn't make the connection to the company. Also, much less jarring than, say, the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl at Tropicana Field. My realistic runner up is probably U.S. Bank Field, because, like someone said above, it's nice and sterile.

Hooray, capitalism!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 9th, 2013, 5:20 pm

I like Medtronic because really, the tie-in just seems obvious: most football fans and many football players are setting themselves up for a lifetime of mechanical life-assisting devices.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 9th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Oh, and Medtronic field could make for lots of good food options, the pacemaker burger being only the most obvious.

stp1980
Metrodome

Postby stp1980 » December 9th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Toro field?

smorin
Block E

Postby smorin » December 9th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Pillsbury Doughfield. Let's make it happen.

Pip

Postby Pip » December 9th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Here's my opinions on each. UH, maybe, they've been doing well lately. Best Buy, I don't see them approving a huge sponsorship deal with their recent issues. Cargill, a big company but since nothing is sold under their name, brand recognition probably isn't worth as much to them. Supervalu is broke, I don't see it happening. 3M, I could see that happening. US Bank, I i could see that, I think they'll stay in the race until the end. General Mills, I could see them making a bid but I don't see them winning. Medtronic, I could see some interest from them but I don't see them winning the bid. Ameriprise, maybe, doubtful.

I could actually see Target going for the trifecta. I thought I remember the Target CEO quietly expressing some interest back when the stadium bill was being passed but I couldn't find the article. I wouldn't 100% write off Xcel either. I think they'll make a bid but will probably get beat by either UH, US Bank, or Target in my opinion.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » December 9th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Cargill, a big company but since nothing is sold under their name, brand recognition probably isn't worth as much to them.
At first thought, I agreed. But considering the public pressure mounting on Big Ag, they might do it just to associate their name with something besides mutant food and Gulf of Mexico dead zones.
I could actually see Target going for the trifecta.
I wouldn't write off Target either. I didn't think they would have gone for Target Field after Target Center (or renewed Target Center after naming Target Field).

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 9th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Land O' Lakes Field!

a.k.a. The Butter Tub
Last edited by David Greene on December 9th, 2013, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 9th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Pacemaker GNDs at Stent Stadium?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 9th, 2013, 6:01 pm

With General Mills you could have "Big G" seating sections. As in $1,000's...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 9th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Huber H. Humphrey Metrostadium

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » December 9th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Dairy Queen Waffle bowl!

web

Postby web » December 9th, 2013, 7:46 pm

mall of america field at the historic site of the hubert h humphrey metrodome

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » December 9th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Wells Fargo, which would negate and conflict of nearby advertising.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 9th, 2013, 9:30 pm

On the offshoot topic of potential stadium names, I just have to say it's a real shame that our railway got absorbed into BNSF, because how damn cool of a name would Great Northern Field be? That Pillsbury idea would be phenomenal though.

And yes, I think we should be worried about tacky names, even though most of our major companies are tastefully branded. SuperValuDome, anyone?
"Mall of America Field" was actually a real-life example that's even worse!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 9th, 2013, 11:30 pm

Even though worked there from age 15-21, I tend to forget DQ is based here (Edina). Not as big of a company as one might think from their large local presence. They do have naming rights to suites at TCF Stadium though. It'd be cool to see them go after Target Center after that naming deal expires...The DQ Treat Center!

Realistically, It's gotta be US Bank. It's the only explanation for Lester Bagley's ridiculous reaction to the Wells Fargo rooftop sign issue. Best Buy doesn't have the money and 3M is too conservative.

US Bank is the 5th largest bank in the country, although it is a magnitudes smaller than the "Big 4". US Bank is based in downtown Minneapolis, something few of the other contenders can boast. They fared the recession well by being more conservative than other big banks and seem to have their shit together. It seems like they are well positioned for growth and closing the gap between themselves and the Big 4. I think they are just as likely as Target or any other company to add a tower to the Mpls skyline in the next decade, even if it means consolidating employees from St. Paul, Bloomington, etc.

P.S. For real though, if it was an outdoor stadium, the DQ Blizzard puns would be endless every time there was a snowflake in the air

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » December 10th, 2013, 7:22 am

Betty Crocker Field :D

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » December 10th, 2013, 9:20 am

With General Mills you could have "Big G" seating sections. As in $1,000's...
And on the net behind the endzone where the kicker targets extra points and field goals, you could have the "G Spot". Gotta split the uprights to hit it.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 10th, 2013, 10:54 am

Best case scenario in my mind would be Pillsbury Field. Probably not happening, so 3M is a pretty good second for me.