Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 9th, 2014, 10:17 pm

So, a 2nd minor league baseball team and yet another new stadium? I'm just not sure there is any demand left over beyond the Twins and Saints, both of whom haven't necessarily been filling up the stadiums last year.

Besides, weren't the Millers a basketball team, or am I mistaken? I know there was an ABA team called the Muskies at one point briefly, and that's also a pretty cool name. If there WERE to be a team called the Millers, I strongly suggest they play at a stadium whose naming rights are owned by General Mills!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 9th, 2014, 10:41 pm

It was indeed the Millers that played at Nicollet Park and later Met Stadium. A couple of guys named Mays and Williams used to play for them.

There will be a team called the "Metro Millers" in Shakopee: http://www.metromillersbaseball.com

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 9th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Is that Metro Millers thing really happening? That website does not inspire confidence. And the proposal has been floating around for a long time.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 10th, 2014, 10:57 am

There was a Minneapolis Millers team that played at Parade about 20 years back, but it was a league a little lower than the Saints even. I think it lasted one or maybe 2 years.
If there were a competing team I'd suggest they use the U's facility versus building a new stadium.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » January 10th, 2014, 7:57 pm

There was a Minneapolis Millers team that played at Parade about 20 years back, but it was a league a little lower than the Saints even. I think it lasted one or maybe 2 years.
If there were a competing team I'd suggest they use the U's facility versus building a new stadium.
I can't find any evidence backing this up but I believe that Major League Baseball has a rule that prevents cities from having both a major and minor league team. Thus if the Minneapolis Millers were to restart they couldn't play in Minneapolis city limits.

It's also worth noting that the Pohlad family gave the lead donation to the campaign to build the new Siebert field so I don't think they would be real pleased to have financed a field where the "competition" plays.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 10th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Is that Metro Millers thing really happening? That website does not inspire confidence. And the proposal has been floating around for a long time.
I dunno, I was just going by what the web site said (*cough*).

I think the "Metro Millers" is a stupid name anyway and disrespectful to the real Millers heritage. It's not even close to the Mill City!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 10th, 2014, 10:54 pm

It wasn't a true minor league team, it was glorified city ball.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » January 12th, 2014, 10:28 am

I think NYC has a couple of minor league ball teams, as well as two major league teams.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 12th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Each bough of NYC has at least twice the population of Minneapolis if not way more!!

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » January 13th, 2014, 12:28 pm

I'm not sure that MLB could prevent an independent minor-league team from playing within Minneapolis city limits anyway. They likely have jurisdiction over affiliated MiLB clubs, but I see no reason why they could prevent an American Association team (like the St. Paul Saints) from locating in the city. Of course, it's unlikely either way.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 13th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Each bough of NYC has at least twice the population of Minneapolis if not way more!!
Only 420K on Staten Island.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 13th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Yet even they have a heavy rail metro running the length of the island up to the ferry terminal.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 13th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Sooooo, A suburb of 470,000 has a rail line connecting it to a city of 8,200,000? Great.

Mall of America, swell place.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 13th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Sooooo, A suburb of 470,000 has a rail line connecting it to a city of 8,200,000? Great.
Staten Island is not a suburb.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » January 13th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Staten Island is not a suburb.
Yes it is. Just like St Paul

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 14th, 2014, 11:09 pm

This one is across the street from MOA:

Item 2
Case 10923ABC-14
6:05 p.m.
City of Bloomington Port Authority (owner)
South Loop Hospitality, LLC
(user)
2500 Lindau Lane
1. Rezoning from LX(AR-17), Lindau Mixed Use(Airport Runway) to LX(AR-17)(PD), Lindau Mixed Use(Airport Runway)(Planned Development)
2. Preliminary Development Plan for the Towneplace Suites by Marriott Planned Development; and
3. Final Development Plan for a four-story, 67,902 square foot, 118 room extended stay hotel

http://bloomingtonmn.gov/calendar/image ... prelim.pdf
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... erica.html

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 15th, 2014, 7:20 am

Yuck. Is this property under the more restricted flight path for MSP? I guess I'm confused why the proposal is only 4 floors when other developers are putting up 10-15 floor bldgs next door.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2014, 8:27 am

It is under the restricted flight path.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2014, 9:07 am

Indeed, that's why.

Anyone remember how tall the DoubleTree tower was that they knocked down before Rwy 17/35 opened?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 17th, 2014, 12:42 am

I saw an advertisement today at MOA for the office building. A little digging shows an advertising campaign that began last month.

http://loopcommercial.com/marketing-sta ... crossings/

I also went to take a look at the new pedestrian bridge across Killebrew Dr. The first thing that surprised me is that the bridge doesn't actually connect into the hotel and it's associated walkbridge to the second floor of the mall, but instead connects into the first floor of the hotel, which is the parking garage. The other thing I noticed was a lot of people were jaywalking across Killebrew to access the transit station, rather than go up the stairs to the internal mall roadway, walk through the garage, across the bridge, and down the steps at the other side. IMO, they should simply re-open the crosswalks at the light to improve safety.