[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby seanrichardryan » December 23rd, 2013, 4:23 pm

Tiger Sushi 2 on the first floor of Tornado Towers, eh, MUrals of LynLake, has closed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 23rd, 2013, 6:58 pm

I live nearby and walk by frequently. I'm not terribly surprised. I could see a restaurant that sells more alcohol and makes better use of the patio overlooking the Greenway having a better go of it. Also, this entire building needs better (more visible) signage for the commercial tenants. My personal opinion is that this building and Blue have very poorly designed commercial storefronts that do not stand out.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » December 24th, 2013, 2:14 am

I went to Nico's last night. Overpriced, sure, but what isn't these days?
I don't want to start an argument but I just wanted to say that restaurant food today isn't generally overpriced. Prices are a reflection of the cost of production. Restaurants are a low margin business at best, many places that are perceived as overpriced are actually losing money or just breaking even. Wholesale food prices have gone through the roof over the last five years. For example the high end bacon that I bought in 2007 for $65 a case is now over $100, you see those types of increases in most categories. Top grade steak is now so expensive that it is almost impossible to sell, the $26 filet mignon that I sold in the late '90s now comes to $47 using the same pricing mechanism. To some degree the recession has actually cushioned the blow because wages have fallen so restaurants haven't had to raise prices as much as they would have otherwise. As the labor market tightens restaurant prices will probably go higher as wages return to the pre recession levels.

People tend to think that upscale restaurants are often trying to rip them off when usually all they are trying to do is stay in business. That said I have heard that Nico's is crap, it isn't surprising as the ownership of Amore Victoria does not have a strong reputation in the industry.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 26th, 2013, 11:52 am

Pioneer Press has reviewed Lake & Irving: http://www.twincities.com/restaurants/c ... source=nav
The balls themselves were tasty, but the pestolike sauce that accompanied them seemed a bit out of place.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby seanrichardryan » January 6th, 2014, 2:01 pm

The old Running Room space on 28th & Hennepin will become 'Flooring Expo'-

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ptown.html

Let's hope the 'Expo' & Ackerberg are planning an exterior renovation.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 6th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Dunn Bros. on the move from Lake to Hennepin.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ation.html

Seems this block could garner some development proposals with the vacant block next door.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 6th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Dunn Bros. on the move from Lake to Hennepin.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ation.html
Seems an odd move to me. The Lake St. location was quite populatr. The old Muddy Paws location has been vacant for years. I somehow doubt the foot traffic is better there than the location near Lunds, Amore, Barbette, etc. No one else seemed to think it has good foot traffic either.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » January 7th, 2014, 12:57 am

The issue the Muddy Paws/Pasquale's space had as a restaurant was parking, which is to say that it had none. Despite what a lot of posters here might think, parking is very important for restaurants in Uptown. The area is oversaturated with restaurants in terms of neighborhood demand so it is dependent on people driving in from the rest of Minneapolis, St Paul and the western suburbs. As a neighborhood coffee shop I would imagine this is less of an issue. If I had to bet, I would guess that this move was driven by rent issues. Uptown proper has become quite expensive but the landlord of the new location is probably highly motivated to lease due to the fact that the space has been empty since 2007, and that part of Hennepin is far enough from the center of Uptown that it is generally cheaper anyway.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 7th, 2014, 12:02 pm

If I remember right, the big issues with that space, beside the possible parking issues, was that the kitchen was in need for a major update. The landlord wanted the tenant to pay for the upgrades and no one was willing to put their own money into upgrading someone else's property where is the venture did not fly that they were out that money. As they say, sometimes you have to invest money to make money. Kind of sad to think of all the lost revenue that this landlord missed by not investing in the property for the last 6-7 years. This venture would require little in need of upgrade to the current kitchen. Also Dunn's may be willing to invest in the space as a known establishment. But it really does make coffee houses on Hennepin very concentrated.

Is it possible that Dunn might be looking at the possible loss of lease at their current location. I've always felt that with the right developer that the Dunn/Bruggers site along with the empty old burned condo site would make a great location for condos with retail on the street level. Again this is only my speculation and nothing I've heard.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 12th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Did a walk of the neighborhood today and notice a few significant things. First an old Dunn Brothers sign is in the old Muddy Paws so they are definitely going in there. But so far nothing as far an any remodeling seems to be happening yet.
Second, As I walked by Coup D'tat I saw people working in the functioning kitchen. I was told that they had their soft opening Saturday night. Third, Heyday is proceeding with their build out. They have come along ways.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 13th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Is anything EVER going to go into the retail space in BLUE?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 14th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Is anything EVER going to go into the retail space in BLUE?
There is retail in a section of Blue. The corner, which I think they want as a restaurant has been hard to fill. I think they want too much rent for the space. Too many cheaper options out there.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 14th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Looks like the Flooring place on 28th and Hennepin will be opening soon. They have some of their displays in, but they have a bit more work before they can open.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 14th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Looks like the Old Chicago will be called the Bone Yard and will be opening in March. Still not sure if the foundation into the parking lot is for an addition or for a patio? Looks like that are now tearing off the old solarium in the corner of the building next to Hennepin. Has anyone seen any plans for this project?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 14th, 2014, 6:07 pm

It is by Kaskaid Hospitality (Crave, plus others) and they actually had a naming contest for it last summer. I don't remember ever seeing renderings back then but they might have them hidden on a corporate site. It's worth looking.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 20th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Well the Flooring Expo looks ridiculously tacky...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 20th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Yeah, my hopes were dashed for a building renovation. I think they even reused the Running Room sign. egh.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 21st, 2014, 12:18 pm

Basically went from Red sign and awnings to Blue. I don't think much of anything inside the store was changed.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 29th, 2014, 3:07 pm

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 29th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Oh my gaud: