OXBO - 7 Corners Hardware Redevelopment

The Most Livable City in America™
THERAT
Metrodome

OXBO - 7 Corners Hardware Redevelopment

Postby THERAT » January 14th, 2014, 12:06 pm

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... r-80-years

Prime location for another restaurant/pub - Curious to see who's purchasing it and what their plans are. Limited parking in the back.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 7 Corners Hardware

Postby lordmoke » January 14th, 2014, 12:17 pm

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/24 ... cecgbypass

According to this, it's already been purchased by a "large developer."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 14th, 2014, 12:30 pm

I would hope that the eventual redevelopment is pretty substantial. Something on the scale of the Selby-Snelling project or Penfield. This area needs more people living in it, not just visitors.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 14th, 2014, 12:34 pm

But, power tools!
Spent a lot of time there as a kid.

Nathaniel
Metrodome

Postby Nathaniel » January 14th, 2014, 1:27 pm

It's a real bummer to see this go under.

A lot of local businesses use that place. However, the interior setup and business model needs a lot of work. It was clear they hadn't invested in the business in a long time.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » January 14th, 2014, 4:50 pm

I've spent a lot of money there. My wife will be glad to see them go but I'll be sad.

stp1980
Metrodome

Postby stp1980 » January 14th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Bummer to see it go but if I recall the church next door had a for sale sign on it too not too long ago(?) If you didn't notice the church next door it would be easy to miss.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 14th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Strib hints at a hotel for the site.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 14th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 16th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Looks like the church next door will also be sold to a developer: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/01/dev ... gy-center/ (locked) This basically puts the entire block in play. This could potentially be a very exciting development and catalyst for that entire corner of DT St. Paul. I'll check the print edition of F&C tomorrow to see if anything is revealed regarding which developer, and if it's the same as 7 Corners. I suspect these deals have been in the works for a while and it won't be too long before we hear something about the redevelopment proposal.

Good lord (church reference) there are a bunch of surface parking lots in the area: http://goo.gl/maps/qBTJZ

There's a poll on twincities.com right now asking what the redevelopment should be and "Nothing. I want 7 Corners or nothing." is leading the way with 45% of the vote. Other popular choices include "A botique hotel" and "Brewery/Taproom". I'm not sure why mixed-use residential/retail wasn't a choice. And why would it be a "botique" hotel? What does that even mean? Between 7 Corners and the church property, you could build something at least as big as the Holiday Inn (& associated parking garage) across the street.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 16th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Interesting, from the aerial shots that church building appears to be a number of older buildings that were unified by a (really styling!) later-added facade.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 16th, 2014, 6:04 pm

A boutique hotel is a small hotel that contains luxurious amenities in unique or intimate settings. These are usually remodeled older hisoric buildings and not new construction.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 16th, 2014, 6:12 pm

If a boutique hotel opens in the 7 Corners building, I'll eat my hat. This redevelopment site is going to be a complete teardown. It has to be. The alternative is what, retail/restaurant and offices in a rehabbed building?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 17th, 2014, 8:32 am

A botique hotel? Is that a joke? Are there a lot of hardcore hockey fans from upstate that like to stay at a bed-and-breakfast type of facility before they walk across the street to drink beer, eat nachos and scream for 2.5 hours? Must be!

This location and/or the Strib Block parking ramp development location are two potential "hot spots" for a large convention-style hotel, I'd think. I wouldn't be shocked if somebody decided to pull the trigger on something at or above 500 rooms, and considering 7 Corner's history I kind of doubt that could happen here.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 17th, 2014, 9:21 am

I can't imagine a 500+ room hotel here. Wouldn't they want to build it on the CBD side of the X/RiverCenter?

I'm not one to usually say this, but it would suck the character out of West 7th. Going from 2 stories to 6 or even a few more wouldn't change it, but a "Convention Hotel"(tm) would.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 17th, 2014, 10:26 am

I'm sort of surprised that people think there's demand for a hotel here -- I've always heard that St. Paul hotel occupancy numbers are nothing to write home about.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 17th, 2014, 10:55 am

I also find it hard to believe that there would be a large hotel that far from the CBD. There are plans to add a hotel portion to the Old Post Office redevelopment. I've heard but seen nothing in print that the old Radisson will be upgraded and carry the Hotel Intercontinental flag. Plus I'm sure that there will be plans to upgrade the other hotel that is part of Town Square. A Hotel here would not be anywhere near the light rail for convenience, compared to the other hotels that I've mentioned.
Not to say something like a Hampton Inn would not work here, but I do not see a full service hotel making a go at this location. Is there enough space to build a limited service hotel and an apartment building next to each other?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 17th, 2014, 10:59 am

I've heard but seen nothing in print that the old Radisson will be upgraded and carry the Hotel Intercontinental flag.
This was officially announced this week.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 17th, 2014, 11:20 am

I'm sort of surprised that people think there's demand for a hotel here -- I've always heard that St. Paul hotel occupancy numbers are nothing to write home about.
Someone must think there is demand for an upscale l uxury hotel. The nearby Crowne Plaza - St Paul Riverfront is being upgraded to an Intercontinental Hotel, and those are certainly no slouch.

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/240169281.html

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 17th, 2014, 11:34 am

Yes, but hotels get reflagged all of the time -- that doesn't mean anything, and it certainly doesn't add any capacity.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't build a hotel here -- but based on everything else I've heard, it does seem a bit ifffy.