Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
spearson
Landmark Center

Re: Nicollet Residences - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby spearson » August 20th, 2012, 1:09 pm

I didn't see the Magellan project at any exhibit, where was it?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 20th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I thought that was really disappointing too... But it seemed like there were only certain architects/developers there. And just the local ones that were able to make it easily?

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » August 20th, 2012, 4:02 pm

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 20th, 2012, 7:39 pm

The street level is good and works well with Nicollet Mall. But the building at 27 stories looks too bulky, and the cantilevered crown looks slightly awkward with its strong verticality on top of what is now a squat building. The original proposal at 33 stories (concept rendering below) gave the building a more slender form which worked better with the crown. Had the feeling of a true skyscraper. Opus blew it.

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » August 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm

kind of like a fat, short girl wearing high heels. rather than making her look taller, it just reminds everyone that she's fat and short.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 20th, 2012, 7:44 pm

kind of like a fat, short girl wearing high heels. rather than making her look taller, it just reminds everyone that she's fat and short.
That analogy doesn't surprise me about you buddy!

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » August 20th, 2012, 11:02 pm

The new rendering looks a bit odd. I'm really starting to wonder if this is even going to break ground.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 20th, 2012, 11:42 pm

It wouldn't surprise me a bit!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2012, 1:11 am

^There are an awful lot of expensive apartments being built. Its going to have very fierce competition. The watered down version of the original proposal makes this project underwhelming. This site has so much potential to be a landmark building for the city and its skyline given its prominent location on the LRT at 5th and Nicollet. Opus has missed the mark on this one.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » August 21st, 2012, 1:58 am

How tall is the tallest Riverside Plaza building (McKnight Tower)? I thought it was 44 floors, which SHOULD be taller than the 35 floor Magellan development...
The tallest Riverside Plaza building is the McKnight Tower at 39 stories and 337 feet. It's the tallest apartment building, 2nd tallest residential, and 26th tallest overall in Minneapolis.

The Magellan building will be 374 feet, making it the 23rd tallest in the city.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 21st, 2012, 6:11 am

^There are an awful lot of expensive apartments being built. Its going to have very fierce competition. The watered down version of the original proposal makes this project underwhelming. This site has so much potential to be a landmark building for the city and its skyline given its prominent location on the LRT at 5th and Nicollet. Opus has missed the mark on this one.
But how do you really feel about it?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 21st, 2012, 6:15 am

John what are your views about the height reduction?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 21st, 2012, 7:04 am

How tall is the tallest Riverside Plaza building (McKnight Tower)? I thought it was 44 floors, which SHOULD be taller than the 35 floor Magellan development...
The tallest Riverside Plaza building is the McKnight Tower at 39 stories and 337 feet. It's the tallest apartment building, 2nd tallest residential, and 26th tallest overall in Minneapolis.

The Magellan building will be 374 feet, making it the 23rd tallest in the city.
Well what do ya know!

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » August 21st, 2012, 8:29 am

On a similar note, I would appreciate if John would reflect on the use of cut-rate building materials - concrete board in particular.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2012, 10:40 am

On a similar note, I would appreciate if John would reflect on the use of cut-rate building materials - concrete board in particular.
I will definitely continue to express my opinions as I see fit. I certainly try to respect the forum etiquette and not make negative insinuations about people. Hmmmm :?:

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 21st, 2012, 10:49 am

I will definitely continue to express my opinions as I see fit. I certainly try to respect the forum etiquette and not make negative insinuations about people. Hmmmm :?:
Just a tip, obviously feel free to say whatever you want politely, but I think our tongue-in-cheek sass stems from every third post in this thread (and in some other ones) being you repeating yourself.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 21st, 2012, 10:59 am

Just a tip, obviously feel free to say whatever you want politely, but I think our tongue-in-cheek sass stems from every third post in this thread (and in some other ones) being you repeating yourself.
I think it's also important to say that the majority of us probably agree with you. But understand the economic difficulty that Opus has/had doing what we'd all would like to see happen. A lot of repetition on the board just aggravates some, because they come look to see if some new development has occurred with the project. A new tallest residential building (viva The Nicollet) or in the top 10 tallest would excite us all!But new stuff regardless is just plain exciting :)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2012, 11:02 am

Well, I promise I'll try zip it with this project to stop irritating people, but I'm not sure I can contain myself about cementious board! ;)

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 21st, 2012, 3:12 pm

I think it's also important to say that the majority of us probably agree with you. But understand the economic difficulty that Opus has/had doing what we'd all would like to see happen. A lot of repetition on the board just aggravates some, because they come look to see if some new development has occurred with the project. A new tallest residential building (viva The Nicollet) or in the top 10 tallest would excite us all!But new stuff regardless is just plain exciting :)

hahah... I just got a mental image of somebody sitting in front of the computer clicking refresh over and over to the map waiting for the color to switch from blue to red :lol: Surly by now MOST of us are conditioned to NOT think that a brand new post on a thread equals to brand new information or news of a start date to construction!

we all deal with the loss of a project or vision in different ways haha I remember the strongly worded posts I typed up on the old site about the reconstruction of Peavey Plaza :cry: I personally prefer seeing the forum still active instead of having it fall to far down the list... once it hits page 2 it would seem the project is dead :shock: ...sure this site doesn't have any impact to as if a project is a success of failure... but I'd like to think it does! :lol:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2012, 4:23 pm

Lancestar, you are good natured gentleman with a warm heart. Don't ever change :)