mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: The Skyline

Postby mattaudio » November 22nd, 2013, 9:31 am

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 22nd, 2013, 11:35 am

How stupid. Maybe don't spend your day typing "minneapolis skyline" into google image search? That's about the only way one could get "tired of this particular genre of skyline photography."
Towns!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 22nd, 2013, 11:37 am

I think his point was that typing any city into [image search engine] returns primarily photos of the skyline, often with ribbons of cars on whatever freeway was wedged through the historic neighborhoods in the foreground. That's the genre he's tired of.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 22nd, 2013, 11:44 am

Not really. If I type minneapolis into google image search, only 2 of the top 60 results are that "genre." But, whatever, his point still stands.
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 22nd, 2013, 12:59 pm

No, I think his point is to get rid of all diversity of opinion on UrbanMSP by taunting people who enjoy skylines as part of their urban experience. Only his left brain perspective is the truth.
Last edited by John on November 22nd, 2013, 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 22nd, 2013, 1:20 pm

I fell in love with skylines from the moment I saw the Emerald City of OZ when I was a little kid.

That was way before I learned about the suburbs, urban planning and the disintegration of inner-city neighborhoods. So there, Mr. Curmudgeon!

A more recent view after they added the two supertalls... :)

Last edited by Avian on November 22nd, 2013, 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » November 22nd, 2013, 1:23 pm

I just typed in Minneapolis, and then clicked "Images". There are actually only a few which show freeways. Most are from the river, Stone Arch, or arial. I am confused at this article.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 22nd, 2013, 1:35 pm

Avian, If Minneapolis looks like Emerald City in 20 years , I will be in heaven! :D

mulad

Postby mulad » November 22nd, 2013, 2:24 pm

The guy who wrote the streets.mn article runs this website, where he points his camera at many of the bland spaces that most photographers ignore (for obvious reasons). Part of the point of the article is that chain-link fencing is ruining America -- you have to poke holes in the fencing on that pedestrian bridge over I-35W in order to get nice skyline shots.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 22nd, 2013, 2:29 pm

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » November 22nd, 2013, 2:40 pm

Im not sure how chain link fencing is ruining America. The chain link fence on that bridge is to protecting pedestrians crossing, and drivers underneath. Obviously it is used because it is relatively cheap. Who is going to fund something that costs double? Also, chain link fencing also allows you to actually see thru it while still creating a barrier.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 22nd, 2013, 2:48 pm

There are certainly cases where chainlink is fine, but it's such a pervasive default answer that nobody even looks at trying something else. I was pretty annoyed when this angle got ruined by a new chain-link fence that was added next to the existing relatively nice fence for the new Hiawatha LRT bike path extension:

img_3291-edit by Mulad, on Flickr

And, in case it wasn't clear "chainlink fence is ruining America" = snark. I think it's a terrible, horrible, no good thing, but it's not the source of all evil.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » November 27th, 2013, 1:31 am

Not a fan of the chain link myself. Anyway, I was talking to a friend who lives in LA and is a big skyline fanatic- more so than most I've read posts from on here. And according to him, Minneapolis has the 12th largest downtown skyline in the US. His findings are based on # of buildings over 300 ft then number over 400, then 500 ect ect. I didn't realize Mpls was so high on the list. He's not including Vegas or Honolulu. I wonder how accurate this is? Very interesting. He gave me a copy of the top 25 but I'm not typing all that out...

streets.mn

Would the Minneapolis of today oppose the construction of th

Postby streets.mn » February 13th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Would the Minneapolis of today oppose the construction of the IDS Center?

https://streets.mn/?p=10761

Scott16475
City Center

Re: Rumors!

Postby Scott16475 » February 14th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Not sure where to put this story but here is an article in MinnPost that agree with what some have been saying around here for years regarding new super tall buildings in Minneapolis. http://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-blog- ... ent-184333
Last edited by Scott16475 on February 14th, 2014, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 14th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Hmm. That seems like a pretty thin article to me. A lot of conjecture and opinion and the requisite comparison to Portland. Throw in a fantasy skyline montage and you're done.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby writruth » February 14th, 2014, 10:49 pm

http://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-blog- ... ids-center

This links to a fascinating MinnPost story, raising the question of whether we've lost our sense of architectural adventurism and whether today's myopic culture of NIMBYism would prevent construction of the iconic IDS Building if it were proposed today.

This article raises important questions about the future vertical growth of skyscrapers in Minneapolis and whether we will embrace a culture of encouraging smart, sustainable economic expansion and make the necessary investments to build the city of tomorrow to attract the top workers, and innovators of tomorrow.

Love the image of the futuristic Minneapolis skyline and wonder how close or far away this future truly is.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » February 14th, 2014, 11:45 pm

I guess I continue to be a little perplexed by so many people's disgruntlement with the buildings going up in the Twin Cities. Are they all the most architecturally innovate in design (no), could they have used better building materials (yes), are they the tallest (no), can architects and developers dream bigger (yes), can city regulations and neighborhood groups present thorns in developers sides (yes). Still - the Twin Cities are booming with new construction and renovation/conversions of older buildings for new uses. So many other cities around the country have to be considerably envious. What I love about what is happening in the Twin Cities is that the building boom isn't just happening in one area of the city (or cities for that matter) - not just downtown, uptown, the mill district, loring, northeast, etc. - but all around. To me this is building a sustainable city. Would I like taller buildings - yes! But I have to reason to think developers build according to demand and also build what is going to return the most profit in their pockets . When there are less surface lots to choose from - they are going to have to start building up. We just have to look at the development of other larger cities (and past photos of Minneapolis to be honest pre-tear down of the Gateway district). But until we get density - buildings with 5 floors and up, it makes more sense to me to have people spread out - frequenting stores, restaurants, etc. all over the city rather than having one tall/super tall smack dab in one or two locations staring over surface parking lots or 1-3 story buildings. I am excited about the future of Minneapolis and think the best is yet to come.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 15th, 2014, 2:49 pm

http://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-blog- ... ids-center

This links to a fascinating MinnPost story, raising the question of whether we've lost our sense of architectural adventurism and whether today's myopic culture of NIMBYism would prevent construction of the iconic IDS Building if it were proposed today.

This article raises important questions about the future vertical growth of skyscrapers in Minneapolis and whether we will embrace a culture of encouraging smart, sustainable economic expansion and make the necessary investments to build the city of tomorrow to attract the top workers, and innovators of tomorrow.

Love the image of the futuristic Minneapolis skyline and wonder how close or far away this future truly is.
Are you a bot?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Manhattanization

Postby maxbaby » April 28th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Are we starting to play with the big boys?
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... is-is.html