Capella Tower - 225 South 6th St

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Capella Tower & LaSalle Plaza

Postby lordmoke » October 19th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Minneapolis has garnered a reputation in the last number of years as one of the "gayest cities in the country," so that has become a part of our identity, to an extent. Additionally, the 35W bridge is lit up in a rainbow for both Pride and National Coming Out Day. It's pretty cool to see- looks like Rainbow Road in Mario Kart.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » October 19th, 2012, 3:34 pm

One example of the variety of lighting used is the Empire State Building. St. Patty's, valentine's, breast cancer, the holidays, pride, dog shows. Not sure how many of these themes Minneapolis will feel like boasting, but having rainbow lights celebrating diversity is already old news here (thx lordmoke). I don't see anything too risque with what the Empire State is doing, gives people something to talk about and raises awareness.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 19th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Exactly... they have one (or few) prominent buildings in many that have the ability to do this. And I love cities like Shanghai. But I just think it's tacky. A skyline full of rainbows is my nightmare (and I'm gay). I mean, IDS celebrating vikings, while target does some german visual artist, while capella does breast cancer awareness... just too much.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 19th, 2012, 4:31 pm

I'd rather festive 'holiday' and winter themes than red and green. especially since you argue for pride lights (eye roll, tackiest color scheme in existance), expecting everyone is going to be tolerant of all walks of life/religions. The skyline has to speak for the whole city let's not get too crazy specific. I like the fun bright vibrant colors, and that target hires famous artists to create visual art, and that IDS supports local teams and such, but those are matters of city and state pride, not specific cultural groups.
I think for those holidays weeks the majority of people would enjoy a different color scheme. I'm not sure you can put any single color scheme up without excluding a group or becoming to limited in "flavor". Sure I have to endure the awful combination of gold and purple all because some major sports team decided those would be the colors to pick for some team called Vikings. Sure I don't feel included given I don't follow major sports but still I recognize it as being benefit to having a mostly inclusive color scheme.

Also I don't think any color scheme the IDS,Capella, and Target plaza will look more tackier than a certain bridge around pride or a typical holiday tree during the xmas season. lol For a total of 3 days Ideally the Friday, Sat, and Sun weekend of the pride event, and the Christmas eve and Christmas Day 2 days having a unique color scheme would be a nice joyful way to look at the neat lights. While everyone may not celebrate the event the lights are just a neat feature to enjoy.

Of course it's really not up to the community to decide it's the owners who get the final say, along with any group of letter writing campaigners.

EDIT:

when I talk about the Capella building I'm more talking about a color changing lights show like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cR_Re5 ... re=related

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » October 19th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Exactly... they have one (or few) prominent buildings in many that have the ability to do this. And I love cities like Shanghai. But I just think it's tacky. A skyline full of rainbows is my nightmare (and I'm gay). I mean, IDS celebrating vikings, while target does some german visual artist, while capella does breast cancer awareness... just too much.
we don't have to know why each building is lit up like it is... do we? can't we just enjoy this crown being pink... while this building top is blue... while this bridge is orange... while the target building does whatever it does....?

I don't want to have rapidly changing light displays... but I don't think that's where these are going.

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » October 19th, 2012, 7:03 pm

I don't see why anyone thinks this is too much!! Just enjoy our beautiful skyline. I think it's the greatest in the nation!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 19th, 2012, 7:36 pm

We all have our opinions! I completely agree with mplsfinchhd. And I think the 35W bridge with its rainbow colors looks awesome at Pride in June. Actually, would love to see the Target building and Capella tower lit up with rainbow colors on Pride Week. It would draw some great national attention to Minneapolis, and acknowledge the strong contribution the gay community gives to maintaining the high quality of life in our city.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 20th, 2012, 12:11 pm

You're all crazy. I'm going to have my Grandma knit Urban Msp some potholders or something ;) har har...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 20th, 2012, 12:25 pm

You're all crazy. I'm going to have my Grandma knit Urban Msp some potholders or something ;) har har...
Your problem is you didn't get to experiment with all the psychedelia like us children of the 60's and 70's. You need to "trip out" on the lights more! ;)

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 20th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Your problem is you didn't get to experiment with all the psychedelia like us children of the 60's and 70's. You need to "trip out" on the lights more! ;)

you say "trip out" but I just hear ball in a cup...

[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYo5xYiyRuk[/BBvideo]

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » November 2nd, 2012, 2:09 pm

I know this isn't pertinent to Capella or LaSalle Plaza, but I was driving by the Wells Fargo Building last night and felt like there were more lights going up the whole side of the building... is this new or am I just trippin'?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 2nd, 2012, 3:19 pm

It's always lighting up the sides, but the sheer length of the walls made for less dramatic lighting than the shorter walls at the crown. Perhaps they're switching to LED, which have a longer and brighter lighting cast.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » November 4th, 2012, 10:49 pm

I really like how they do it here in Chicago where they mostly coordinate things. They all go teal for awhile and you see "why teal?" ads around playing off of it, ect. It gives some cool variety without being a disgusting rainbow of a dozen different colors every night.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 23rd, 2014, 1:28 pm

A renovation and "upgrade" of finishes to the 1st & 2nd floor of Capella Tower is underway. It's a $7 million project which will re-locate escalators and stairs. Perkins+Will is the architect.

I wonder how one "upgrades" the already top-notch finishes?

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... tower.html

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 23rd, 2014, 3:33 pm

Gold leaf. Acres of it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 23rd, 2014, 4:05 pm

Painted sheetrock and aluminum trim.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 23rd, 2014, 4:13 pm

Cement board?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » February 23rd, 2014, 5:31 pm

A renovation and "upgrade" of finishes to the 1st & 2nd floor of Capella Tower is underway. It's a $7 million project which will re-locate escalators and stairs. Perkins+Will is the architect.

I wonder how one "upgrades" the already top-notch finishes?

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... tower.html
Love how the article states that this is the second tallest building in the city. Why is it so hard for people to grasp that this building is 776 feet and IDS is 775 feet. IDS is shorter, I don't care what Emporis has to say about it, a pole barn added on top of a building doesn't suddenly make it the tallest again.
Born in Minneapolis.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » February 23rd, 2014, 6:38 pm

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that this building is 776 feet and IDS is 775 feet.
Because Minnesotans hate change. How dare a developer construct a tower taller than IDS without gaining approval from the public first.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 23rd, 2014, 7:36 pm

And this matters at all, becuase... why?