Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Northeast - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » December 25th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Yep I think it was covered over in the transportation section at one point. Here's details from DOT: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy65mpls/

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » December 26th, 2013, 9:56 am

Thanks for the clarification and link. Much appreciated.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » January 17th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Counterpoint: Does anyone else feel like Northeast has an outsized reputation? Not overrated really, but I feel like people talk about it way more than they actually go to it. Northeast has been "the new Uptown" since like 2004. What's in Northeast? There are a number of not-terrible bars, e.g. Mayslack's, Elsie's, etc., but they're spaced in between single-family houses in a way that pretty much necessitates driving. There are a handful of nice stretches in St. Anthony Main, but that whole Hennepin/Central area is like 50% surface parking, Superfund sites, and otherwise abandoned buildings.

Honestly not trying to be a Negative Nancy about it, but like I said, I feel like I hear way more comments about Northeast being great than I do stories about actual things that happened there.
"Necessitates driving"!? When I lived near Lowry where the only great bar within walking distance in the dead of winter was Grumpy's, I never needed a car: my bike got me to NE hotspots quickly and easily and in bad biking weather the buses are, ehh, OK depending on the route (the 11,4 and 17 are rather infrequent at around 20 min or between each bus, so you really have to plan with those, but the 10 on Central is high frequency and fine for the most part ). If you want to hit up spots on a west-east route, say dine at one of several restaurants on Central, go to the Ritz or 331 Club on 13th, then hit up a bar or three on Marshall, you only have north-south buses which make for a lot of backtracking and transfers, hence why biking is a popular option there. I live in Loring now, but I still bike or bus up here (at a NE coffeeshop as I type this) and never felt I needed a car to get around.

Old St Anthony right along Hennepin and Central are not 50% surface lots: you're talking about 1st Ave which I think might be even more than 50% parking: it should be another Hennepin or Central full of businesses but it's basically a parking lot district. I also have to disagree with Mayslack's being described as "not terrible": it's full of suburban cowboy wannabees, the jukebox is blasting modern country pop (corporate bubblegum bullshit which, if you were to switch out the country guitar and vocal twang would be just end up being a generic nondescript top 40 hit...oh wait they already are aren't they?) and then the female bartenders apparently have to dress like Hooters employees and put up with these immature redneck imitators. From the looks of the place and what I read about the food I was expecting a kind of dingy loud rock club/bar that served garlic roast beef sandwiches and has to be by far the most disappointing bar and/or live music venue I've had the displeasure of experiencing in not only NE,but all of Mpls-St Paul. Elsie's is good, but I also like Sample Room for their happy hour though it's more of a place to bring a date and Grumpy's NE may well be the best along with 331 and all the new taprooms: Dangerous Man, Indeed, ehh not that big a fan of 612. Definitely great for coffee shop aficionados like myself: there's a high concentration of those. I dunno, I just don't find it lacking really.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 13th, 2014, 4:39 pm

City will be selling Hollywood Theater to developer for rehab as "creative office":
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 120712.pdf

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 14th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Silly pointless anecdote: I took my girlfriend (who currently lives in Eden Prairie, but grew up in S.Mpls/Richfield) to Adelita's at Central & Lowry a few months ago. She just asked me what the name of that one restaurant was...you know...the one in St. Paul.

web

Postby web » February 14th, 2014, 7:47 pm

I think the only conclusion is blonde

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 18th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Hofstede still doing damage, depending on your point of view:
http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/st ... ous-debate

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 18th, 2014, 12:48 pm

How possible is it to build a building like this so that you can add more stories on top later on?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 18th, 2014, 12:51 pm

I am so glad Diane and Meg Tuthill are off the council. They still can f*^& stuff up though.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 18th, 2014, 3:54 pm

This is a pretty small parcel. I'd be surprised to see anything more substantial proposed anytime soon. As Michael Rainville alleges in the article ("we had a coffee shop that wanted to go in there eight years ago and the do-gooders who didn’t like the liquor store didn’t like the coffee shop either"), the BANANAs are still winning out in the St Anthony West NO.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 18th, 2014, 6:04 pm

the BANANAs are still winning out in the St Anthony West NO.
The way you wrote that just refined an idea I've been having for a streets.mn post.
Requisite clever title: You Can't Spell Neighborhood Organization Without N-O

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » February 22nd, 2014, 2:01 pm

clever!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 10th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Has anyone heard or seen if JL Beers will be opening at 24 University ave NE? There was an announcement last summer, and I found the city application. But have not seen anything since then. If anyone here is from the FM area, you know how good the burgers are at JL Beers. And just a nice atmosphere that fits in perfect with Nordeast.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 10th, 2014, 1:18 pm

There have been various restaurants rumored to open in that space for the past 12 years (Remember Blue Skies Wine Bar?)
Don't get your hopes up :)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » March 10th, 2014, 2:15 pm

I think I saw something not too long ago on one of the City Council agendas, but can't remember where exactly. Might have been planning commission COW...

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » March 10th, 2014, 2:50 pm

There's a sign up in the window of the space saying they will be opening soon, or something to that effect. About a month ago the HPC gave them permission to put a sign up on the outside of the building.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 10th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info. Great news. Cant wait to get over to Nordeast and enjoy another great place to grab a bite and some brew.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 11th, 2014, 7:07 am

How's the beer selection?

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 11th, 2014, 11:09 am

http://jlbeers.com/westfargo/beers/

That is the beer selection at the location I have been to. Not too shabby of a collection. I recommend trying the burgers. They are simple, yet very good. Looking forward to the opening. I live in Crystal and like to go to Nordeast often, this will just be another reason for me to come on in.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » March 11th, 2014, 2:20 pm

New hope starting for Lowry Ave in NE?
http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/wo ... wry-ave-ne